[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 questions about software/hardware

kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) (08/20/90)

	Well, the first A3000 has made its way into Charlottesville,
finally, but I had to drive to the D.C. area to buy it!!
	I've waited since the first Amigas were introduced until now to
buy the computer of my dreams.  It's been worth the wait to get this
3000!
	But, as with everything in life, there are the disenchantments,
such as the A2000 software I'd gotten beforehand, from contests, bargains
at retail stores, etc.  About 50% of what I have (small quantity at the
moment) will not work properly.
	Here's my configuration: stock A3000, 1950 monitor.  (Pretty
sparse, but not bad for my salary...)
	I remember reading an article about 1 month ago about how to
turn off the data cache on the 68030 to allow some software to keep up
with it.  Unfortunately, I didn't save that article.  Could some kind
netter please refresh (no pun intended) my memory (pun intended) about how
to go about doing this.  I really do want to see Skyfox and Pioneer Plague
work on my new machine.
	One final note:  since DIGA! seems to work alright from a display
point of view, does anyone know if the Aprotek Minimodem-A24 (2400 baud,
serial connect modem) would and/or could work with the A3000.  It's the
cheapest I could find in mail order (the store where I bought my machine
had pretty high prices for modems, and all they had was Supra....)
	Ah, if only the educational discount had included part-time
students as well, I would not have had to put myself in debt for the next
several decades......hint, hint.

K W Smith, Jr.
The Charlottesville Sector

*  "Forgive me, but where would a 6000-year-old Mayan god                     *
*   learn to downshift a Toyota?"  -Kate T. from _ALF_                        *

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug20.124935.19689@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> kws1x@dale.acc.Virginia.EDU (Kenneth W. Smith Jr) writes:

>	Well, the first A3000 has made its way into Charlottesville,
>finally, but I had to drive to the D.C. area to buy it!!
>	I've waited since the first Amigas were introduced until now to
>buy the computer of my dreams.  It's been worth the wait to get this
>3000!
>	But, as with everything in life, there are the disenchantments,
>such as the A2000 software I'd gotten beforehand, from contests, bargains
>at retail stores, etc.  About 50% of what I have (small quantity at the
>moment) will not work properly.
>	Here's my configuration: stock A3000, 1950 monitor.  (Pretty
>sparse, but not bad for my salary...)
>	I remember reading an article about 1 month ago about how to
>turn off the data cache on the 68030 to allow some software to keep up
>with it.  Unfortunately, I didn't save that article.  Could some kind
>netter please refresh (no pun intended) my memory (pun intended) about how
>to go about doing this.  I really do want to see Skyfox and Pioneer Plague
>work on my new machine.
>	One final note:  since DIGA! seems to work alright from a display
>point of view, does anyone know if the Aprotek Minimodem-A24 (2400 baud,
>serial connect modem) would and/or could work with the A3000.  It's the
>cheapest I could find in mail order (the store where I bought my machine
>had pretty high prices for modems, and all they had was Supra....)
>	Ah, if only the educational discount had included part-time
>students as well, I would not have had to put myself in debt for the next
>several decades......hint, hint.
>

>K W Smith, Jr.
>The Charlottesville Sector

>*  "Forgive me, but where would a 6000-year-old Mayan god                     *
>*   learn to downshift a Toyota?"  -Kate T. from _ALF_                        *

Well, I hate to upset you, but the Education program has from its inception,
included part time students.  The exact wording, is that students need to
be certified by their institution as making significant progress towards a
degree.  We selected this wording, because every college and university in
the country which receives veteran's benifit $'s was required to come up
with their own definition of significant progress, AND develop a monitoring
system.  The VA had the same concern we had....they wanted to include legit
part-time students and non-traditional students who had to work full time
in, BUT not include people who would just enroll for one course, to qualify
for special benifits.

Find out what your institution's definition is, since they control it.  Most
part-time students at most institutions, DO qualify.

Howard S. Diamond
Director of Education CBM