[comp.sys.amiga] Siggraph Report?

eddiewen@ocf.berkeley.edu (Eddie Wen) (08/11/90)

Hey, has anyone gotten back from Siggraph?     Any word of Hash Enterprise's JourneyMan, supposedly
debut.      While I'm at it, what's the deal with Imagine?  Is it shipping yet?

-Viet Ho
eddiewen@ocf.berkeley.edu

millerjv@rigel.crd.ge.com (Jim V Miller) (08/14/90)

Journeyman and Imagine were both shown at the Commodore booth at SIGGRAPH.
Unfortunately, neither of their sales group seemed interested in talking to me.
Pity for them I guess.  I did wander over and had a nice chat with Dale Luck
(he gave me a little tidbit that he plans to port his X implementation to work
on the U Lowell board).

CDTV was also shown as well as a couple of frame buffers and a optical
storage device.
--
Jimmy Miller

General Electric Corporate Research and Developement:	millerjv@crd.ge.com
Rensselaer Design Research Center (RPI):		jvmiller@rdrc.rpi.edu

"All I need is room to play."

mark@masscomp.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (08/15/90)

n article <1990Aug11.022017.29661@agate.berkeley.edu> eddiewen@ocf.berkeley.edu
 (Eddie Wen) writes:
>Hey, has anyone gotten back from Siggraph?  Any word of Hash Enterprise's
>JourneyMan, supposedly debut.

Well I saw it and was quite impressed. The ease with which it allowed
control over the objects and their motion was stunning. Everything
is spline based (say goodbye to polygons.....good riddance). As an
example of how to build spline surface objects, Ken Baer built a spherical
blob by doing the following: make a circular hoop. Duplicate it a few
times and rotate each successive hoop a little from the previous one.
Then join them all together at the top and bottom. You now have a solid
spline surface spherical blob. You can then move any of the control points
to distort it as you please or add more control points if you like.
He also demonstrated the ease of specifying the movement and motion
path for a spline shark. It was totally trivial to make the shark twist
and bend its body while while swimming in and out between a logo.
The only current weakness I see in the program is its renderer. Although
it produces adequite results, there are not the mind-blowing features
of LightWave 3D. Ken said that was planned for future upgrades. I had
mentioned it would be nice to use Jouneyman for the modeler and animator
while sending the rendering task to LightWave 3D. He said there had been
some discussion about that but no real plans had been formulated. Anyway,
it looked like a great product and I was so excited, I forgot to ask when
it would hit the streets (however I got the impression it will be quite soon).
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (08/21/90)

In article <45986@masscomp.ccur.com> mark@masscomp.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
>n article <1990Aug11.022017.29661@agate.berkeley.edu> eddiewen@ocf.berkeley.edu
> (Eddie Wen) writes:
>>Hey, has anyone gotten back from Siggraph?  Any word of Hash Enterprise's
>>JourneyMan, supposedly debut.
>
>Well I saw it and was quite impressed. The ease with which it allowed
>control over the objects and their motion was stunning.
>The only current weakness I see in the program is its renderer. Although
>it produces adequite results, there are not the mind-blowing features
>of LightWave 3D.

Martin (Hash) has already made improvements to the renderer.  The version
I had at SIGGRAPH was the one just prior to release.  I believe the
current version is 1.08.  I would expect the first major upgrade in the
next few weeks.  We are adding procedural textures, and many other features.
This is evolving software, and what you saw was only the first version.

>mentioned it would be nice to use Jouneyman for the modeler and animator
>while sending the rendering task to LightWave 3D. He said there had been
>some discussion about that but no real plans had been formulated.

The problem is that LightWave3D only does polygons, so our spline objects
won't work.  Also, it doesn't handle texture maps the same way.  However,
we are hoping to support the Video Toaster.  We have had extensive
discussions with NewTek about it, and they seemed interested.  All we
are the tools to get the job done.  If you think Toaster support in
JMan is important, let NewTek know, it might speed up the process.

>it looked like a great product and I was so excited, I forgot to ask when
>it would hit the streets (however I got the impression it will be quite soon).

It started shipping the week of SIGGRAPH, 2 weeks ago.

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER