[comp.sys.amiga] Descender??

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (08/20/90)

In article <9008201253.AA13054@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca>
tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (Tom Hayko) writes:

>Ok, sorray about the waste of bandwidth, but does anybody (specifically
>mindlink!a217@watmath.uwaterloo.ca) know where I can get a copy of Descender?
>I'm dying to play it

     I'm not mindlink!a217, but I am mindlink!a218 - close enough?  ;-)
Being an old-time Tempest freak myself, I got my hands on a 400K .wrp
file of Descender and tried it out.  I was terribly disappointed,
simply because nothing I tried would get it out of attract mode.
Does anyone know how to start the thing?  Or does it start?

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

a217@mindlink.UUCP (Vincent Lim) (08/20/90)

Followup-to: comp.sys.amiga.games

[This should really be in c.s.a.games but I don't think Mindlink understands
the followup-to: field]

In article <9008201253.AA13054@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca>,
tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (Tom Hayko) writes:
> Ok, sorray about the waste of bandwidth, but does anybody (specifically
> mindlink!a217@watmath.uwaterloo.ca) know where I can get a copy of Descender?
> I'm dying to play it

I downloaded Descender from a local BBS (Tunnel Vision 604-538-3839). I take it
that Vancouver, or more specifically White Rock, is a bit out of your way
($$$).  If you have Internet access I would upload it to abcfd20 but
unfortunately our school machines are down and I can't logon.

There's always Canada Post if you are truly desperate.  I could email you my
pmail address.

In article <2883@mindlink.UUCP>, a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) writes:
> I got my hands on a 400K .wrp file of Descender and tried it out.  I was
> terribly disappointed, simply because nothing I tried would get it out of
> attract mode. Does anyone know how to start the thing?  Or does it start?

It worked for me, Charlie.  Just press the joystick button.  It should ask you
to select novice, intermediate, or advanced.  Personally I was disappointed
with the game.  The sound was IBM beepy and the control was rather sluggish.
--
  //\migaTrek: The First Generation, Captain of CBM-A1000 "Advantage"
\X/incent Lim, Librarian for Pacific Northwest Amiga Association

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (08/20/90)

Ok, sorray about the waste of bandwidth, but does anybody (specifically
mindlink!a217@watmath.uwaterloo.ca) know where I can get a copy of Descender?
I'm dying to play it

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *
*                              *                 \XX/    *

QUIT

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (08/21/90)

In article <2885@mindlink.UUCP> a217@mindlink.UUCP (Vincent Lim) writes:

>It worked for me, Charlie.  Just press the joystick button.  It should ask you
>to select novice, intermediate, or advanced.  Personally I was disappointed
>with the game.  The sound was IBM beepy and the control was rather sluggish.

Joystick?  JOYSTICK!??

Oh.

Feel free to kick me.  Please.

Anyway, now that I got it working, I agree - sluggish control, boring
beeps.  Nice try, though.  I still wish I had time to work on my own
clone.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you're built upside-down.