[comp.sys.amiga] Amax problems with the Amiga 3000

jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu (08/18/90)

I am sure for those who are upgrading to the Amiga 3000 and also have Amax (I)
are wondering if it works. Well..

There seems to be places where bugs have creeped in.
Here are some of the problems which occured with me:

1. Can't handle math co-processor 88882
   i.e. Excel
2. Can't handle 1x4 meg zipps or any other non-fast ram
   i.e. Uses chip ram (actually, it can't handle any fast ram)
3. Works only with USER mode
4. Incompatible with AmigaDos 2.0
5. Doesn't work anymore with Think Pascal (tm)

I am sure these are fixed in Amax II (+). If not, I hope Readysoft
becomes aware of this before shipping Amax II+

----

Joel M. LaBelle		Jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu
No information that I post is affliated with Mobil Oil Corporation!
Besides, they use those 1/2 PCs.
A3000 - The computer to rule the world (When it's not guruing)

In article <27770@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:

>1. Can't handle math co-processor 88882
>   i.e. Excel

It might be a good idea to find out if Apple has some patch for this; the
68030<->68882 connection is defined by Motorola, not Apple or Commodore.  So
one would expect that it's purely a software issue, and perhaps something
Apple fixes on disk for Mac IIs.  Just a guess...

>2. Can't handle 1x4 meg zipps or any other non-fast ram
>   i.e. Uses chip ram (actually, it can't handle any fast ram)

Many current Mac programs (and at least at one time the Mac OS itself) are
only 24 bit programs -- eg, they do evil things with the 8 bit of address not
used in pointers on 68000 CPUs.  So the A3000's Fast memory, which is at
$07000000-$07ffffff or so, depending on how much you have, is a problem for
the current Mac programs.  The new AMax might get around this by translating
some of that memory around with the MMU.

>3. Works only with USER mode

Say what?

>Joel M. LaBelle		Jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

U3364521@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (Lou Cavallo) (08/21/90)

G'day,

DH> In article <13906@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com
DH> (Dave Haynie) writes:

JL>  In article <27770@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu writes:
JL>
JL>  1. Can't handle math co-processor 88882
JL>     i.e. Excel

DH> It might be a good idea to find out if Apple has some patch for this; the
DH> 68030<->68882 connection is defined by Motorola, not Apple or Commodore.  So
DH> one would expect that it's purely a software issue, and perhaps something
DH> Apple fixes on disk for Mac IIs.  Just a guess...

Joel, for what it is worth I recall reading a stream on this in comp.sys.mac I
think sometime ago. Apparently (i.e. according to my failable memory) Microsoft
Excel had trouble identifying a math coprocessor (I think they did not use the
Apple SANE (arithmetic?) routines).

I think it is quite likely someone in comp.sys.mac will recall the problem and
fix (if any).

JL>Joel M. LaBelle		Jlabelle@lynx.northeastern.edu

DH> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
DH>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
DH>       Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

yours truly,
Lou Cavallo.

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (08/22/90)

writes:

> 1. Can't handle math co-processor 88882
>    i.e. Excel

   This is a bug in Excel, and happens on any genuine MAC II with the
68882 FPU chip.  It seems that MicroSloth did not follow the rules as
stated by Motorola for determining whether or not a FPU is present in
the system.  As a result, Excel now has the prestige of being one of
the only programs available for the MAC which will automatically detect
the 68881, but which will fail to detect the 68882.  Typical.

                                 -MB-