[comp.sys.amiga] LaserJet III, HP-GL

millerjv@rigel.crd.ge.com (Jim V Miller) (08/21/90)

In article <11656@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

   > my Laserjet, I would get several pages ejected.  We were dumping a series
   > of RastPorts using the DumpRPort() routine which unfortunately allowed the
   > printer to perform a formfeed after each dump.  There is a flag in the 1.3
   > printer control routines that will inhibit this formfeed.  This worked for us.

   Ah, Jim!
   How the hell do you kick a laserjet into Landscape mode? I'm trying to
   send the HPGL output of Multiplot to a LaserJet III, but it always
   prints in portrait. I have tried Esc&0O before kicking it into HPGL,
   and RO90 afterwards, but neither works. What comes out landscape on
   PLT: comes out portrait on the LJ III.

   Regards Alan

I think I need a little more information.  I have never played with a LaserJet III,
but from your post it sounds as if it understands HP-GL inherently (jez, if a lot
of these sell, there is no need for PLT:).  If the LJIII does understand HP-GL
then it should automatically print in landscape mode.  Landscape mode is the
default for HP-GL.  You would need to put a RO 90; before any of your HP-GL
to put HP-GL into portrait mode.  Of course HP changes (appends and alters)
HP-GL with every single solitary plotter they develop.  When we were developing
PLT: we were asked to add HP-GL commands from a variety of plotters.  HP could
have altered the HP-GL for the LaserJet III so its default is portrait.

Try putting a "RO 0" or a "RO;" before your HP-GL code (after any reset commands
of course).  This will tell HP-GL to use its default rotation.  Maybe it will
force the LaserJet III into landscape HP-GL.

Your escape sequence for landscape mode may be right, but it is probably
over-ridden by the initial reset HP-GL command.  You could try a panel selection
to force landscape mode (If the LaserJet III has a panel to select...)
Note that putting the LaserJet into landscape mode through panel selections
will really confuse PLT:.  You will get several pages with what appears to be
garbage.  This caught me a few times when I thought PLT: was working, then
one night it would just give garbage.  After a few hours of mucking around
the code I would discover that my roomate had put my LaserJet into landscape
mode and forgot to reset it.  ARG.

If you are using PLT: to dump to the LaserJet III and it is coming out in
portrait mode, then I am deeply confused.  HP-GL starts out in landscape
but in PLT: we always hold the rasters as they would be printed down a portait
page.  This requires PLT: to swap the coordinates and do some scaling, but
it simplifies the dump routines since all printers print a series of horizontal
rasters down a page. So PLT: should not be your problem.

--
Jimmy Miller

General Electric Corporate Research and Developement:	millerjv@crd.ge.com
Rensselaer Design Research Center (RPI):		jvmiller@rdrc.rpi.edu

"All I need is room to play."

tony@sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (08/22/90)

|>    How the hell do you kick a laserjet into Landscape mode?  [In HPGL]

Try  RO 0;

|> but from your post it sounds as if it understands HP-GL inherently (jez, if a lot

Yes, the LJIII does understand HP-GL/2.

|> If the LJIII does understand HP-GL
|> then it should automatically print in landscape mode.  Landscape mode is the
|> default for HP-GL.  You would need to put a RO 90; before any of your HP-GL

Not always.  (refer to different paper sizes on the drafting plotters.)

|> to put HP-GL into portrait mode.  Of course HP changes (appends and alters)
|> HP-GL with every single solitary plotter they develop.  When we were developing

Yes, so HP-GL/2 is an attempt to standarize the language.  This is what is
in the LJIII (and the HP-GL/2 cartrige for the PaintJet XL, and the
newer plotters from HP).

|> have altered the HP-GL for the LaserJet III so its default is portrait.

LJIII defaults to portrait (RO 90;) for mixing PCL (text and raster) with
the HP-GL on the same page.  To do landscape, simply use RO 0; or RO 180;

|> Your escape sequence for landscape mode may be right, but it is probably
|> over-ridden by the initial reset HP-GL command.  You could try a panel selection

This would depend on what parameter was used to the <esc>%#B sequence to
go into HP-GL/2.

|> to force landscape mode (If the LaserJet III has a panel to select...)

It doesn't.

--
		Tony Parkhurst	( tony@sdd.HP.COM )

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not
be changed for light and transient causes;" -- Declaration of Independence.