[comp.sys.amiga] Free RayTracer!

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (08/18/90)

I've just sent a copy of the binaries for my C-Light raytracer in to
comp.binaries.amiga so in a short while they should be posted.  I
decided not to include the source code since I may attempt to enhance
and market the program again in the future (perhaps in a different
form.)  I have a somewhat enhanced version that I use at home but
it's still a little buggy so I posted the 1.06 version which is the
same one I sold commercially.  Perhaps I'll post the enhanced version
if I can stabilize it a little.  The same version has been posted to
PeopleLink for those of you who can't wait.
     I think you'll see why it isn't really competative with the
other 3D systems on the market, but then that's why you're getting
it now for free!  Actually, I think its very simple interface and
CSG oriented approach make it unique on the Amiga.
   In any case, have fun with it!

                C the Light!
                     ron@vicorp.COM

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) writes:

>I've just sent a copy of the binaries for my C-Light raytracer in to
>comp.binaries.amiga so in a short while they should be posted.  I

I just saved the above message (and I recomend you all do too) for future
use, when some over-zealous anti-pirate starts screaming

"You can't post CLIGHT on [insert favorite news-group or BBS here]!!!!
It's a commercial product and that makes you a PIRATE!!!"

...as most of us *know* is going to happen as CLIGHT starts showing up
on BBS's around the country.

;-D

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug17.221224.13698@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.COM (Ron Peterson) writes:

>I've just sent a copy of the binaries for my C-Light raytracer in to
>comp.binaries.amiga so in a short while they should be posted.  I

>form.)  I have a somewhat enhanced version that I use at home but
>it's still a little buggy so I posted the 1.06 version which is the
>same one I sold commercially.  Perhaps I'll post the enhanced version
>if I can stabilize it a little.  The same version has been posted to
>PeopleLink for those of you who can't wait.
>     I think you'll see why it isn't really competative with the
>other 3D systems on the market, but then that's why you're getting
>it now for free!  Actually, I think its very simple interface and
>CSG oriented approach make it unique on the Amiga.

     I was one of the commercial sales. I paid a (usenet reduced) price
  of about 30$ (I think. My memory isn't great.) The actual price was
  marked as $59.95.

     I played with it and pretty much agree that it is not competative
  as marked. But, I believe it would be competative at 30$.

     One thing I like about is its' mouse control. When you place an
  object, the object becomes a sort of 3D cursor. Let's say you are
  moving an object to the left. You can move your mouse to the left until
  you run out of table, then PICK UP your mouse, put it on the right
  side of the table and keep moving to the left. You can keep doing this
  as long as you want. The right mouse button toggles between the vertical
  plane and the horizontal plane. This is VERY ERGONOMIC once you get used
  to it. It would be more polished if the ACTUAL mouse cursor were not
  visible during this process. It pushes up against one side of your screen
  and is visually confusing.

     It IS multitasking but unfortunately it suffers from the same problem
  all ray tracers have, it is SLOW. Also it uses a window to draw into as
  it traces, it would be better for multitasking to use a farily large buffer
  in FAST memory if possible and store directly to disk.

     Unfortunately, C-Light lacks the hard hitting controllability of
  Turbo Silver or Sculpt. The interface leans toward intuitive object
  creation but gets harder to use when fine tuning. Also you only have
  primitive shapes available, you can't create shapes point by point
  (Am I wrong on this Ron?)

     It doesn't have the special gadgets of Turbo or Sculpt like IFF
  wrapping or glass objects or adjustable reflectance level (There is
  only one setting which I think is too 'perfect' of a mirror.)

     I would use it as a tool for object creation for the more polished
  tracers if I could get a translator from C-Light to Sculpt. To make this
  part better it would be nice if there was a convenient way to change the
  viewpoint during object creation. (You have to place the object BEFORE you
  can move the viewpoint and you get this odd diagram to adjust for the
  viewpoint rather that seeing the VIEW change as you cange the viewpoint.
  I'd rather be able to TOGGLE between mouse control of the object and
  viewpoint and use the same mouse control method for both.)

     The animations that came with C-LightII look cute. (Is C-Light II also
  going public domain?)

     IN SUMMARY, the thing I like about it the most is the object creation
  element of the user interface. I will probably play with it more. (Though
  not as much as Turbo and Sculpt.) Even though it is now going public domain
  I am not sorry I paid for my copy of it.

                                                      Don White.

  (Ron, I know I told you I would send you some feedback after testing it
  but, life gets crazy and the first thing to go is home computer time!
  Sorry! Oh well.)

*    Don White                          *
*    Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177 * <The patented Don White mini-sig>
*    zehntel!donw                       *