[comp.sys.amiga] Scaling algorithms

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/18/90)

This request is posted for a friend.  Send any replies to me or post
here, but please don't ask me for clarification!   ;-)

>Does anyone know any fast-scaling algorithms (preferably written in
>C, but really doesn't matter)?  I need to convert Amiga IFF pics
>(all resolutions) to Targa format (512*512, 3 plans of 8-bit RGB) for
>a program I'm writing.  I have a bi-polar scaler right now which gets
>the job done, but is VERY slow...  takes 2-3 minutes to scale a plane.
>I have a routine to break the Amiga format down into the separate RGB
>planes that Targa takes, so all I need is a general-purpose scaler to
>scale the 640*200 or 320*400 etc. up to 512*512.
>
>Any ideas?  I realize this is a pretty specific request, but I know
>there is something out there since DPaint can scale fairly quickly,
>and I've seen the Art Department do scaling and it's a lot quicker
>than this.  Thanks!
>
>Jim, (716) 768-2028

So this is his request.  If anyone can help he'd appreciate it!

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (08/22/90)

Active Circuits (201-223-5999) has a TGALink program ($299) to convert IFF file
formats to TGA.  If you can use an IFF to GIF/TIF/PCX/etc. program, I can point
you to programs to convert from other formats to TGA.  If you need the speed
from writing it yourself, there is an article in Computer Language (Aug 90,
I believe) on color mapping that should help you.

Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and
 you ever seen Claude Rains?"  |  \X/ balances /_\   |   /_\  |  Mass Sarcasm."

eric@emerald.rutgers.edu (Eric Lavitsky) (08/22/90)

In article <356@epicb.com> jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) writes:

> Active Circuits (201-223-5999) has a TGALink program ($299) to
> convert IFF file formats to TGA.  If you can use an IFF to
> GIF/TIF/PCX/etc. program, I can point you to programs to convert
> from other formats to TGA.

Thanks for the mention Jerry. Actually, our product ImageLink is the
one which will convert file formats. It retails for $199.95 and will
presently convert between the following formats (both-ways):

	IFF (Including HAM, 18, and 24-bit)
	Caligari Broadcast (Rendition)
	Compuserve GIF
	Digi-View RGB (3.0 and 4.0)
	MacPaint
	PICT2 (Bitmaps only, 32-bit quickdraw supported)
	PC Paintbrush PCX
	Raw RGB (Sculpt format)
	Sun Rasterfile
	TIFF
	TARGA
	Turbo Silver RGBN/RGB8

ImageLink was the first commercial bitmap image conversion software
for the Amiga and pioneered application and device control from within
such an application on the Amiga. Our TGALink product expands
ImageLinks' capabilities to directly drive Truevision TARGA, TARGA+
and ATVista frame buffers mounted inside an Amiga chassis with a CBM
Bridgeboard.

> Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M

Oh - and our correct phone number is (908) 974-1616 (they're splitting
up the 201 area code - sheesh!).

-Eric Lavitsky
--
Eric Lavitsky				UUCP:	...rutgers!tstream!eric
Active Circuits, Inc.				eric@topaz.rutgers.edu