[comp.sys.amiga] Sonix instrument --> IFF 8SVX

ted@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Dr. Ted Carnevale) (08/16/90)

Of course, the synthesized sound files that Sonix creates are quite
different from the 8SVX format, so conversion of one of these to 8SVX
would be a bigger job.

The IFF file formats are documented in several places (8SVX most completely
in the ROM KERNEL Includes & Autodocs ref manual).  The Fish disks don't
list an instrument converter, but I suspect someone may have done it already
(Sonix is relatively old, IFF 8SVX is too, so . . .)

Any ideas?

aaron@stat.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug16.042014.22673@sbcs.sunysb.edu> ted@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Dr. Ted Carnevale) writes:
>Of course, the synthesized sound files that Sonix creates are quite
>different from the 8SVX format, so conversion of one of these to 8SVX
>would be a bigger job.
>
>The IFF file formats are documented in several places (8SVX most completely
>in the ROM KERNEL Includes & Autodocs ref manual).  The Fish disks don't
>list an instrument converter, but I suspect someone may have done it already
>(Sonix is relatively old, IFF 8SVX is too, so . . .)
>
>Any ideas?

     I have a game that I am writing that uses 8SVX (IFF) sound files as
sound effects.  I have found that the most effective utility for switching
from one sound format to the other is "AudioMaster."  It is written by Aegis
(who writes Sonix) and supports all of the Sound file formats that I am aware
of.  With Audiomaster, you can also record instruments for use with Sonix
(but now this is starting to sound like a sales pitch...)
The program retails for about $60.  There is also a newer version that just
came out that is supposed to be really good also.  This software, IMHO, is
better for doing real time effects (like echo) and for digitizing using
digitizers such as "Perfect Sound" than any other software I have used
(including Perfect Sound's newest software and the PD "SuperEcho")

I talked with a rep from SunRize who makes perfect sound, and expressed that
it would be a good marketing strategy to support the saving of instruemnts
for use with Sonix, and he recommended "AudioMaster" and sounded like he
didn't want to "reinvent the wheel."

"SuperEcho" is free, and is really neat for those of you who have digitizers,
but the quality of the sampling is poor.  I get clicks (waveform discont-
nuities) when modifying the frequency of the input.  But there are some
effects that can only be done with SuperEcho, and it is a must have for
the people who own digitizers.  (I made some really interesting tapes with
SuperEcho...)  SuperEcho lets you make your own voice sound like Minnie
Mouse, or Freddie Krueger (sp?) by modifying the frequency of the sampled
sound in real time.  It also supports echo.  I successfully recreated a
"reverb box" using my guitar amp and guitar along with SuperEcho and a
digitizer.  For clean echoing effects, however, I would recommend buying
AudioMaster.

Sound on the Amiga is Awesome!  I work at IBM; some of my IBM friends who
see my Amiga are most impressed with the sound capabilities over any other
feature of the Amiga.  I feel sorry for people who don't know about Amiga
and its capabilities ...  :-(  Anyway...
"Using TSO is like kicking a dead whale down the beach." - Dennis M. Ritchie.
(I just love that quote...)  Aaron Hightower.

Standard disclaimers apply...