[comp.sys.amiga] Postscript driver

jol@sei.cmu.edu (Jun Lee) (08/17/90)

Hi.

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of postscript driver that will
work with a Apple Laserwriter Plus/IInx?
Also, does anyone know where I can find a Apple Imagewriter driver???
I tried the Imagewriter II in Preferences but couldn't get it to work.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

 ThanX
 RACER X11								   //
                                 \/\/\_/\_8>                          \\  //
 jol@sei.cmu.edu                                                       \X/
 (412) 268-7602
			"Pump up the Peanut Butter!"

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (08/20/90)

> Does anyone know where I can get hold of a PostScript driver ... for an
> Apple LaserWriter ...

I have the same problem.  I have been using a number of solutions.  For
graphics, I've been using LaserUp! from the nice folks at:
    S. Anthony Studios (415) 826-6193   somewhere around $99

In some cases, I've used Mac2Dos from equally nice folks at:
    Central Coast Software (303) 526-1030  with or without Mac drive

With the first piece of software, I can print directly to the printer.  With
the second, I have to convert to Mac format, then print with that.

This problem with ready access to PostScript technology is a serious and
sad problem on the Amiga, and the way I'm doing it is awkward, time-consuming
and amounts to bandaid solutions (but thanks to the 2 above companies for at
least having been ones to provide SOMEthing).  I understand the New Horizons
people offer some sort of option to ProWrite users who wish to print to
PostScript devices.

If anyone knows of other drivers/solutions, I too would very much like to
know.  The creators of PostScript at Adobe have just significantly enhanced
PostScript, with faster compression, better image rendering times and a host
of other improvements and the industry is taking notice.  The fact that I
find it very difficult to take advantage of this powerful printer with my
equally powerful computer is very frustrating.
                                                    Julie (LadyHawke)

vinsci@soft.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (08/20/90)

Since the question of PostScript printer drivers seem to pop up more often
again, I'd like to point out the following:

>> Does anyone know where I can get hold of a PostScript driver ... for an
>> Apple LaserWriter ...
>
>I have the same problem.  I have been using a number of solutions.  For
>graphics, I've been using LaserUp! from the nice folks at:
>    S. Anthony Studios (415) 826-6193   somewhere around $99
>
>In some cases, I've used Mac2Dos from equally nice folks at:
>    Central Coast Software (303) 526-1030  with or without Mac drive

Now it is time to start using PostDriver, from the hopefully also nice
folks at
    Soft Service, Inc. +358-21-6375762 (that's international)

  Just a note: even while we are at the office almost 24 hours/day, there
are times when we are not. FAX is preferred and the number
is +358-21-6375729.

PostDriver is a complete PostScript printer driver for the Amiga, preferences
compatible, full graphics & text support. It also likely has all the
extra features you can think of, including its own preferences program.
Comes with a readable 17-page manual. Price is 39$. It should be $139 :-)

>If anyone knows of other drivers/solutions, I too would very much like to
>know.  The creators of PostScript at Adobe have just significantly enhanced
>PostScript, with faster compression, better image rendering times and a host
>of other improvements and the industry is taking notice.  The fact that I
>find it very difficult to take advantage of this powerful printer with my
>equally powerful computer is very frustrating.
>                                                    Julie (LadyHawke)

  Now you can.

-- Leonard

Disclaimer: I own some Soft Service shares.

ifarqhar@mqccsunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (08/20/90)

In article <32990@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>If anyone knows of other drivers/solutions, I too would very much like to
>know.  The creators of PostScript at Adobe have just significantly enhanced
>PostScript, with faster compression, better image rendering times and a host
>of other improvements and the industry is taking notice.  The fact that I
>find it very difficult to take advantage of this powerful printer with my
>equally powerful computer is very frustrating.
>                                                    Julie (LadyHawke)

I have been trying to write a Postscript printer driver for over a year
now.  I know Postscript pretty much backwards, and I have unofficially
mentioned it to Adobe who said to go with it and tell them how it went.

However, how much help have I got from CBM?  Very little.  I put
together a list of questions about the pitiful specs in the RKM's
(anyone know what "word align" is), and sent it to CBM US via email and
(eventually) comp.sys.amiga.tech.  No answer.  I contacted CBM Oz, who
said that they would look into it.  Six months later, and despite
several reminders, they are still looking into it.

I mean, how hard should it be for CBM themselves to support the only
true printer standard in existance?  Perhaps, this time, someone from
CATs would like to respond.  Incidentally, I am a registered Amiga
developer in Oz, and I will soon be a registered Postscript developer as
well.

Ian Farquhar                      Phone : 61 2 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : 61 2 805-7433
Macquarie University  NSW  2109   Also  : 61 2 805-7205
Australia                         EMail : ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz.au

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (08/20/90)

In article <405@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@mqccsunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

> I mean, how hard should it be for CBM themselves to support the only
> true printer standard in existance?  Perhaps, this time, someone from
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm... let's check our standards.  I can only find an ANSI standard
and C-A already supports it.

I don't think that ISO, ANSI, or any other group has formalized a
standard page description language based on PostScript.

"True Standard"?  You mean defacto-standard.  And a very good one at
that; but certainly not a "true" standard.

-Tom
--
tlimonce@drew.edu   Tom Limoncelli   +1 201 408 5389   "Vogue 'til you puke"
tlimonce@drew.uucp

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (08/21/90)

In article <32990@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>least having been ones to provide SOMEthing).  I understand the New Horizons
>people offer some sort of option to ProWrite users who wish to print to
>PostScript devices.

 They do, it is called ProScript. I use it occasionally to print to a
Postscript printer on a sun Server. I save the Postscript output, send it
to the server via Y-Modem, then dump the file to the printer. Works very
well, except that ProScript does not handle some of the features of the
newer versions of ProWrite (date, for example). The fonts supplied are
Times-Roman, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol. The manual says more are
available.

Just a satisfied customer.

Phil Nelson . uunet!pyramid!oliveb!tymix!hobbes!pnelson . Voice:408-922-7508

	To make an apt answer is a joy to a man,
             and a word in season, how good it is!            Proverbs 15:23

akcs.dhansen@vpnet.chi.il.us (Dave hansen) (08/22/90)

I am using an updated version of a PostScrips driver called PP09A.arc
You can download it from MicroTech BBS (708)851-3929 or contact Chris Nicotra
of Integrated Systems, Inc.  may have more current information for you.