[comp.sys.amiga] Pascal

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) (08/06/87)

I want a Pascal compiler for the Amiga.  Has anyone used any out there?
I need it to do the following (if someone could check the following
points, it would be much appreciated; the same for that Modula II
compiler announced:)

	- Handle large amounts of code (100K+) with no assistance
		needed by the programmer (calling in segments when
		needed, for instance, instead of having them
		automatically loaded.)

	- Handle large amounts of static data (600K+).  I should be
		able to declare 100 6K arrays, and use all of them,
		for instance.

	- Handle large data structures (like 262K, or array [0..65535]
		of integer).

	- Pack 0..255 into a byte, and 0..65535 into a word, and
		record case 0..3 of
			0: qq1, qq2, qq3, qq4 : 0..255 ;
			1: hw1, hw2 : 0..65535 ;
			2: int : integer ; (* 32 bit *)
			3: sc : float ; (* single precision *)
		end into four bytes.

	- Handle dynamic naming of files, and at least 10 open at a
		time.

	- Allow getting date, time, etc.

	- Handle very large sources (600K+)

	- Handle large procedures (20K code)

	- Handle large case statements (600 entries)

	- Handle non-local gotos (maybe four.)

	Also, how easy is it to translate Pascal into Modula II?  If
necessary, I will use a Modula II compiler and translate, but the
translation should be *fully automatic*.

	Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

						-tom

(P.S.---I'm rokicki@sushi.stanford.edu for you internet folks.)

page@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (08/06/87)

rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) wrote:
>I want a Pascal compiler for the Amiga.

MetaComCo has one - I saw it yesterday in a dealer's "cut out" bin for
half price.  Haven't used it, but it's supposed to be a newer release
than the one CBM is (was?) selling.

>Also, how easy is it to translate Pascal into Modula II?

There are some PD programs to do this, if I remember correctly [they
run under UNIX but a port should be trivial :-) ] but I don't know if

>the translation [is] *fully automatic*.

There was a Pascal to C converter just published in comp.sources.unix;
maybe that will help you out?

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.   page@ulowell.{uucp,edu,csnet}

lachac@topaz.rutgers.edu (Gerard Lachac) (08/07/87)

In article <467@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> rokicki@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas Rokicki) writes:
>	Also, how easy is it to translate Pascal into Modula II?  If
>necessary, I will use a Modula II compiler and translate, but the
>translation should be *fully automatic*.

Hey, now this would be a neat trick!  Has anyone ever seen a translator that
was fully automatic?

 <insert heavy laughter and sarcasm here>

Good luck!

Seriously, I've done some programming in Modula-2, and it is basically a
super-set of Pascal.  There is a good book (that I loaned out) called
"Modula 2 for Pascal Programmers".  Try your local bookstore...

--
		"Truth is false and logic lost..."
					- Neil Peart

bla@cs.exeter.ac.uk (Binesh Lad) (02/09/90)

Is there a Pascal compiler readily available on the Amiga ?

I know of one released by Metacomco in 1985 by they tell me that they now longer produce it.

Thanks in advance.

jefu@nmt.edu (Jeff Putnam) (08/22/90)

One of my students would like to find a cheap (he just got bit by the
"buy books for the semester" pricetag shock) Pascal for an Amiga
500.  Is there a cheap (or free) Pascal available anywhere?

Please respond by mail.  Given interest, I'll summarize.

--
jefu@jupiter.nmt.edu  -- Jeff Putnam, New Mexico Tech, Socorro, NM