[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaMETAFONT

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (08/17/90)

I have a question about Radical Eye's METAFONT.  I setenv the environment
variables mentioned in the documentation as follows:

mfformat plain
mfbases .,mf:bases
mfinputs [lots of input directories]

My problem is that mf can't seem to find the plain base file (plain.base,
which resides in the mf:bases directory on my hard disk).  That is, it always
comes up with the message (no base preloaded).  I can mf &plain... just fine,
but that's a pain.  TeX uses the same device to preload formats, and it works
without a hitch.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a fix, or am I complaining about
a problem that doesn't really exist?

Thanks,
kenny
--
         Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@cs.scarolina.EDU
          Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (08/19/90)

In article <3397@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:

>I have a question about Radical Eye's METAFONT.  I setenv the environment
>variables mentioned in the documentation as follows:

Is this SetEnv the Commodore SetEnv that uses the ENV: storage method?  If
so, AmigaTeX was updated to use this form of environment variables, but (to
my knowledge) AmigaMETAFONT still uses the old Manx style environment
storage mechanism.  Thus, you need Tom's Set command to set the MF
variables.  Note that if you are using 2.0 (like I am), Set is in the
RESIDENT list so you must either specify a full path to it or do something
like `RESIDENT c:Set replace'.

-=> CAW

/////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
                          Christopher A. Wichura

               caw@miroc.chi.il.us      (my amiga)
               u12401@uicvm.uic.edu     (my school account)

Please! Do not send mail to my school account unless mail to miroc bounces.
    I often do not check uicvm.uic.edu for periods in excess of a week.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (08/21/90)

In article <caw.2435@miroc.Chi.IL.US> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:
>In article <3397@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:
>variables.  Note that if you are using 2.0 (like I am), Set is in the
>RESIDENT list so you must either specify a full path to it or do something
>like `RESIDENT c:Set replace'.
>
>-=> CAW

Or renaming the Manx-compatible set command MSET, or

using

Resident SET remove

to turn off the internal SET command.
>                          Christopher A. Wichura
		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Of course it's the murder weapon.  Who would frame someone with a fake?"

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (08/23/90)

In article <caw.2435@miroc.Chi.IL.US> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:
+>
+
+Is this SetEnv the Commodore SetEnv that uses the ENV: storage method?  If
+so, AmigaTeX was updated to use this form of environment variables, but (to
+my knowledge) AmigaMETAFONT still uses the old Manx style environment
+storage mechanism.  Thus, you need Tom's Set command to set the MF
+variables.  Note that if you are using 2.0 (like I am), Set is in the
+RESIDENT list so you must either specify a full path to it or do something
+like `RESIDENT c:Set replace'.

I have tried `set' (at least, as supplied in the ARP 1.3 distribution, which
claims to manipulate the Manx/Rokiki environment variable form.  No dice.

I'm not convinced that I need plain to be loaded, since most of these fonts
(in the AMSTeX 2.0 distribution) have a base of their own.  But, I'm no
METAFONT pro, and would like things to work as expected.

+-=> CAW

-kenny