[comp.sys.amiga] MIDI question

jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) (08/02/90)

Hi All.. a friend of mine owns an Amiga with a midi keyboard which, as I
understand it, is interfaced correctly. Currently she uses Deluxe Music
Construction Set to key in songs and to play them back. What she really
wants to do is to be able to record on-the-fly.. with at least 4 simultaneous
voices. No special sequencing features are required, she said, but they
would be nice to have.

 So here's the question: What should she look for in software? She
doesn't need anything professional, but it should be reliable at least..
and not impossible to figure out. Being a Mac person myself, I thought I
would direct this question to those who REALLY know the software. Also,
if you could E-mail this response to me, I would appreciate it.
Thanks!

--
   /\         Jay Giurleo           Worcester Polytechnic Institute
  /\/\      jayg@wpi.wpi.edu                  Box 2080

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (08/03/90)

In article <14290@wpi.wpi.edu> jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) writes:
> So here's the question: What should she look for in software? She
>doesn't need anything professional, but it should be reliable at least..
>and not impossible to figure out. Being a Mac person myself, I thought I
>would direct this question to those who REALLY know the software. Also,
>if you could E-mail this response to me, I would appreciate it.
>Thanks!

I would have emailed but we're experiencing email troubles with nntp
for some reason today. Two points to make :

#1) Once you record MIDI data, playing it back is never really quite
    as satisfying because you can hear where you missed a key or hit
    something a little to hard, etc. And heck, since its just a bunch
    of data why don't we go an fix it? But wait we need to find the
    event in all this data. Ok did that, but wait I wish that melody
    line was a Piano instead of a Harpsichord, ... Anyway you start
    wanting to play games with it and suddenly you _must have_ a
    sequencer. Several are available, I've got 4, I prefer Music-X.

#2) I've been playing around with Bill Barton's freely distributable
    midi.library functions and find them extremely easy to use. You
    could probably write a midi "recorder" and playback function in
    about 2 nights (one to read the doc, one to write/debug the code)
    That would be free to you so could get to the _must have_ a sequencer
    point with all of your cash intact.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) (08/03/90)

In article <140049@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <14290@wpi.wpi.edu> jayg@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay Giurleo) writes:
>> So here's the question: What should she look for in software? She
>>doesn't need anything professional, but it should be reliable at least..
>>and not impossible to figure out. Being a Mac person myself, I thought I
>>would direct this question to those who REALLY know the software. Also,
>>if you could E-mail this response to me, I would appreciate it.
>>Thanks!
>
>I would have emailed but we're experiencing email troubles with nntp

I too, tried mailing but it bounced.

I would suggest she try Tiger Cub by Dr. T's Software. It is not bad and
cheap at around $99 mail order. I have used it and it is not that hard
to use.

I use Bars&Pipes but at about $300 it is not easy to say pick it up for
giggles.

BTW, Tiger Cub gives you some ability to print music too. It is a nice
intro package.

Greg
Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
"I'm a Hawk, you're a Tiger... We're our own Zoo" -- Countess Charlotte Malcolm
    -- From the Musical -- _A_Little_Night_Music_ -- By Stephen Sondheim --

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (08/23/90)

Have her test Sonix and some of the Dr. T's products before she buys - she'll
probably find what she needs in the Dr. T's line of MIDI software for the
Amiga...