[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1000 memory expansion

yun@tybalt.caltech.edu (Yun-Fong Loh) (12/01/89)

Just a couple of quick questions:

1.  What's the best (least expensive, easiest) way to expand an Amiga 1000 to
    1 Meg?

2.  What kind of memory chips are needed for the starboard memory expansion?

I know nothing about Amigas, I'm asking this for a friend who has one.
Please post responses to comp.sys.amiga since he can read the posts but not
post.

Thanks,
Yun

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (12/01/89)

yun-fong> 1.  What's the best (least expensive, easiest) way to expand an Amiga 1000 to
yun-fong>     1 Meg?

Depends.  The least expensive is not the easiest.  Probably the least
expensive method is to get an internal memory expansion, such as the
Inboard or Spirit.  The easiest is a slap-on-the-side deal like the
starboard.

yun-fong> 2.  What kind of memory chips are needed for the starboard
memory expansion?

The starboard takes standard 256kX1 chips, the same kind you stick in
a garden-variety AT clone.  I think they have to be at least 150 ns,
but they might have to be faster.  I bought some used memory chips
that came from an old AT clone and they work fine in my Starboard.

If your friend (or anyone else) is interested in purchasing a used
Squeeze-RAM memory board (adds one meg of memory at $C00000,
autoconfigures, installs internally between A1000 motherboard and
Kickstart daughterboard, has worked fine in my A1000 for two years)
then drop me email or call me: (415) 335-1503 (w), (415) 759-6590 (h).
I'd let it go for pretty cheap.

				--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

He says, "Take me to your leader" -- and I say, "Do you mean....George?"

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (12/05/89)

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>yun-fong> 1.  What's the best (least expensive, easiest) way to expand
>yun-fong> an Amiga 1000 to 1 Meg?

>Depends.  The least expensive is not the easiest.  Probably the least
>expensive method is to get an internal memory expansion, such as the
>Inboard or Spirit.  The easiest is a slap-on-the-side deal like the
>starboard.

Hey, don't forget Minimegs board from M.A.S.T. (also available for
A500).  It's *very* small and simply plugs into expansion slot.  It
will hold up to 2 Mb but can be ordered with 1 Mb (or 512Kb I think).

Incidently, I have both the Minimeg *and* Insider on my A1000 with no
problems (although Insider can be tricky to install).

Mike.

|   //                  Michael Drues                                   |
| \X/     Internet:     drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu                  |
|         Bitnet:       v2.med@isumvs.bitnet                            |

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (12/05/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Dec1102003@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>yun-fong> 1.  What's the best (least expensive, easiest) way to expand an Amiga 1000 to
>yun-fong>     1 Meg?
>
>Depends.  The least expensive is not the easiest.  Probably the least
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>expensive method is to get an internal memory expansion, such as the
>Inboard or Spirit.  The easiest is a slap-on-the-side deal like the
>starboard.

    The least expensive (if you have the skill or know someone who does) is
the solder in piggy back mod as outlined in an old issue of Amazing ...
This method is by far the most difficult and time consuming but it is hands
down the cheapest route to bring your A1000 up to one meg (autoconfig also
with Dave Haynie's mod).
    For what it's worth...........

    Monty Saine

vincelee@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (12/14/89)

Ok, I've been off the net for a while, so I just wanted to repost this:

I've got a NEW MEGA-AMIGA MEMORY EXPANSION for the 1000 that I won
at the 0th BKDC contest a year ago.  I tested it when I got it, but have
NEVER USED it.  I don't want 16-bit ram, as I've got a FRANCES/LUCAS board
now, so I want to sell it.  It should also work on a 500, if you don't mind
putting your 500 on a book and having the memory's power led face backward.

The thing's a good-looking, well build board with its own power supply, so
it doesn't tax your amiga's.  It auto powers on/off with your machine so
you don't have to switch it on or off manually.  (neat)  It has no pass
thru, so it has to be the last thing on your bus.  That's about all I
know.  It's looks well-engineered, and worked great when I tested it.

Make me an offer.  Best offer walks away with it.  ( U pay shipping ).

Since I don't check my account often, best to reach me by phone
(415) 527-WARP (berkeley, california) any time is ok.

-vince

subrata@ra.src.umd.edu (Subrata Kumar Dutta) (08/23/90)

I am planning to expand my 512k Amiga 1000 to at least 2 megabytes.
Could anyone recommend a good memory board or warn against the ones
to stay away from.  I realize that this subject may have come up before
on the net, so please E-mail your response.  Thanks.

						-subrata

hamilton@intersil.uucp (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug22.223536.23486@ra.src.umd.edu>, subrata@ra.src.umd.edu (Subrata Kumar Dutta) writes:
> I am planning to expand my 512k Amiga 1000 to at least 2 megabytes.
> Could anyone recommend a good memory board or warn against the ones
> to stay away from.  I realize that this subject may have come up before
> on the net, so please E-mail your response.  Thanks.

If I was in your position, the one new piece of hardware I'd get is a
Rejeuvenator.  It will give you 1M chip ram, relocate your existing 512K chip
ram as fast, and allow you to (eventually) have 2.0 in ROM while keeping the
ability to KickStart into 1.3.

This will give you a 1.5M system (1.75M if KickStart is in ROM), plus all the
benefits of the ECS.  This will tide you over until you save up for a 020/030
accelerator card with 32 bit fast ram.

--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.