[comp.sys.amiga] Deluxe Photolab and GVP3001 puking

In <27565@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, PMXSG0%POPV03@dupont.com writes:
>This is one of those strange things that you wonder if it really happened
>and whether it will self correct as soon as you mention it.  I have run
>DPhotolab before on my GVP board and got it to work just fine.  However,
>I had a problem with my GVP dying on me, I got a new one that has worked
>great.  About a week ago I wanted to run DPhotolab and as soon as the
>program loaded, it locked up tight.  Did the 3 finger reset, loaded Photo,
>same thing, turned it off, loaded photo, same thing.  I booted off the
>floppy that photo is on, loaded photo, all was OK.
>The inconvenience is minor, I rarely use the program, but I do like
>things to work the way I expect them to... not the way they want to!
>Any ideas?  Oh, I turned Fastrom off, cache and burst off as well.

Is it copy protected? Could it require the original disk to be in a drive?

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

PMXSG0%POPV03@dupont.com (08/16/90)

This is one of those strange things that you wonder if it really happened
and whether it will self correct as soon as you mention it.  I have run
DPhotolab before on my GVP board and got it to work just fine.  However,
I had a problem with my GVP dying on me, I got a new one that has worked
great.  About a week ago I wanted to run DPhotolab and as soon as the
program loaded, it locked up tight.  Did the 3 finger reset, loaded Photo,
same thing, turned it off, loaded photo, same thing.  I booted off the
floppy that photo is on, loaded photo, all was OK.
The inconvenience is minor, I rarely use the program, but I do like
things to work the way I expect them to... not the way they want to!
Any ideas?  Oh, I turned Fastrom off, cache and burst off as well.
Thanks,
mike scribner    ponca city, OK

halo@cognos.UUCP (Hal O'Connell) (08/23/90)

In article <1877@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <27565@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, PMXSG0%POPV03@dupont.com writes:
>>[Problems with Deluxe Photolab and GVP hardware deleted]

>Is it copy protected? Could it require the original disk to be in a drive?

Deluxe Photolab is not copy protected. I use it all the time from a hard
disk (2000, A2090, Miniscribe 40Mb) without problems. There is one annoying
habit in the Paint program that it will refuse to fire up if it can't get
enough memory for the mode picture selected (it usually happens to me when
multitasking and trying to open an interlaced HAM picture). This might be
causing some other spurious error with the GVP card (sheer speculation on my
part).

I have noticed that memory interactions between programs can cause lockups
or can destroy a program previously loaded (Mymenu seems to get clobbered
easily, for example). In other words, check what is running besides Photolab
and try to isolate it that way, it may have exactly nothing to do with the
GVP hardware.

--
Hal O'Connell    COGNOS Incorporated     UUCP: uunet!lsuc!nrcaer!cognos!halo
                                          or   uunet!watmath!sce!cognos!halo