[comp.sys.amiga] Deluxe

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (08/14/90)

Can someone help me print from DMCS to my HP DJ?

Basically - I dusted off DMCS, of all things.  I know, yech.  But it's the
only program I have that can build SMUS files, prints, plays, and isn't
copy protected (if you send back for the unprotected version, anyway.)

FYI - Both Deluxe Paint III (version 3.21) and Deluxe Music have a bug in
that they won't work on my 2500/30 (running the current 1.3.2) UNLESS I
turn off the 030 caches.  It's apparently the sin of self-modifying code.
EA knows about it.  Today they ("Steve") said they're working to fix
that for the next 2.0 compatible, 3000 compatible version of Deluxe Paint.
However, they have no intention to ever fix ANYTHING with Deluxe Music.*

Well, I can get Deluxe Music to run (by lobotomizing my caches.)  I can get
it to play (though it takes over the audio device.)  But as for printing with
my Hewlett Packard DeskJet - it prints one stave/staff and then ejects the
page, continuing on the next page (which also gets just one staff...)

I need to hack (a copy of) my 1.3 DeskJet printer driver, or do something to
give similar results.

Is there anyone who can step me through a CMD routine to find out what's
weird with the driver?  Does anybody have a successful hack with PrtDrvGen?
NewZap?

Does anybody know what is causing that form feed command?

Does SuperDJ - or any other HP DeskJet driver - fix this sort of thing?
I've tried the BetterDJ (the freebie version of SuperDJ) and it doesn't
help for this problem.

I know, if I get serious I'll get another music package, including one that
has better printing in general.  (I'd consider that Dr. T's Copyist stuff if
it didn't have disk-based CP.)  But if I can figure out how to fix this, I'll
have fixed the same DJ form-feed problem I have with one or two other
packages I'm using, too.

Thanks.

Robin LaPasha

*BTW - if you think that screaming at EA for a fixed DMCS version may make
them change their mind, the guy said to send complaints/begging/etc. to
them directly at - Electronic Arts, Product Support, P.O. Box 7578,
San Mateo CA, 94403.  He said he'd be happy to forward fixit requests to
the department that made the decision not to ever fix DMCS.
--
Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (08/14/90)

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:

}Basically - I dusted off DMCS, of all things.  I know, yech.  But it's the
}only program I have that can build SMUS files, prints, plays, and isn't
}copy protected (if you send back for the unprotected version, anyway.)

Speaking of DMCS, had anyone had any luck running it off of a hard
disk?  I have the 'unprotected' version, and I tried making a directory
on my hard disk and copying the whole mess in, and while it seems to
mostly work, it regularly crashes my system [2000 w/ 2megs and GVP
HD].

  /Bernie\

klt@utgard.uucp (Ken Thompson) (08/15/90)

In article <58904@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>Speaking of DMCS, had anyone had any luck running it off of a hard
>disk?  I have the 'unprotected' version, and I tried making a directory
>on my hard disk and copying the whole mess in, and while it seems to
>mostly work, it regularly crashes my system [2000 w/ 2megs and GVP
>HD].
>  /Bernie\

I had a similar problem with the same version of DMCS. I wrote to EA about it,
and they said that under 1.3 DMCS is "flakey". They did tell me to make sure
I had the fonts from the original disk installed on my hard disk. I didn't,
but when I installed them the problems did not go away.

The worst problem I had was that no sound would come out, which I view as a
detriment to a good music program. 8) EA told me (as has been mentioned in
this group before) that they have no plans to upgrade DMCS, the unprotected
version is the latest.

It does seem to work ok if I boot from the original disk (which has 1.2 on it)
and change the music and instruments directories to those on my hard drive,
but booting every time I want to play music is a pain.

klt (Ken Thompson)
DISCLAIMER: Like anything I say matters anyway.......
                                                     csusac!utgard!pyrgard!klt

ted@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Dr. Ted Carnevale) (08/16/90)

This message is empty.

aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (08/18/90)

B>Speaking of DMCS, had anyone had any luck running it off of a hard
B>disk?  I have the 'unprotected' version, and I tried making a directory
B>on my hard disk and copying the whole mess in, and while it seems to
B>mostly work, it regularly crashes my system [2000 w/ 2megs and GVP
B>HD].
B>  /Bernie\

Hmm ... I copied DMCS to Work:DeluxeMusic on the hard disk on my stock
A3000/25-100, moved the fonts stuff over under SYS:fonts, removed the
c, l, devs, directories (since they were 1.2), and assigned DMCS: to
Work:DeluxeMusic.  Then I was able to start DMCS from a double click on
its icon under 1.3 or 2.0 Workbench.  It works fine unless I try to back
out into the DMCS: parent directory in a file requestor or open directories
with many files in them (20 or so OK, 145 -> GURU; maybe stack 6000 is not
enough) with a file requestor.  Telling the file requestor to open the
Work: also leads to a GURU.  Other than that I'm quite happy with DMCS.
It sounds fine with the A10 speakers from Commodore, those 145 files
are PD DMCS files which are now spread out in 7 directories under DMCS: on
the hard disk.  I've been using DMCS to play them while I was doing other
things in the Workbench screen and haven't any difficulties.

There is a difference between Workbench 1.3 and 2.0 in the appearance of DMCS,
under 2.0 the window borders are light blue/grey, making the gadgets hard
to see.  Using different Workbench colors had no effect on DMCS border
colors.  The pulldown menus, score, keyboard, etc. window's contents are
displayed in the correct colors, regardless.

I don't know what version of DMCS I have, however the file dates are
early 1987.  I purchased DMCS from Software Support International about
3 weeks ago for $63.00.  DeluxePaintIII, which I got for $95.00 a month
earlier, also from SSI, has had only one problem so far.  When using the
fill tool it sometimes goes into an endless loop on trying fill certain
shapes (I haven't pursued the problem yet, but I have had it happen more
than once).  I'm running DeluxePaintIII from the hard drive as well.

Alexander Elkins

aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (08/18/90)

>Well, I can get Deluxe Music to run (by lobotomizing my caches.)  I can get
>it to play (though it takes over the audio device.)  But as for printing with
>my Hewlett Packard DeskJet - it prints one stave/staff and then ejects the
>page, continuing on the next page (which also gets just one staff...)

>Does anybody know what is causing that form feed command?

This is symptomatic of what personal experience has shown me with the
HP LaserJet II, namely, it doesn't have enough memory to store the whole
page in its memory.  The HP LaserJet II, without memory expansion, would
only handle about 65% of a page at 300dpi.  The HP DeskJet can also be
memory expanded, and so maybe this is your problem.  Perhaps if the
printer driver supports a lower resolution, say 150dpi or 75dpi, you
could then print a full page with the memory the DeskJet does have.  Also
note that any fonts downloaded to the DeskJet (assuming you can download
fonts) would also consume memory.

Alexander Elkins (I don't speak for the company, I just work there)

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (08/20/90)

In article <31110004@hpfinote.HP.COM> aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) writes:
   >page in its memory.  The HP LaserJet II, without memory expansion, would
   >only handle about 65% of a page at 300dpi.  The HP DeskJet can also be
   >memory expanded, and so maybe this is your problem.  Perhaps if the
   >printer driver supports a lower resolution, say 150dpi or 75dpi, you
   >could then print a full page with the memory the DeskJet does have.

Aye, but the memory expansion cartridges are only for soft font storage.
The 16K internal buffer is an interface buffer, not a page buffer.
Sorry to say that the DJ{,+} can not store an entire page of
bitmap/whatever and dump it like a LASER printer.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  NOW!!  rusty@fe2o3.LAUREL.MD.US

millerjv@rigel.crd.ge.com (Jim V Miller) (08/20/90)

   From: aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins)
   Date: 17 Aug 90 21:05:10 GMT

   >Well, I can get Deluxe Music to run (by lobotomizing my caches.)  I can get
   >it to play (though it takes over the audio device.)  But as for printing with
   >my Hewlett Packard DeskJet - it prints one stave/staff and then ejects the
   >page, continuing on the next page (which also gets just one staff...)

   >Does anybody know what is causing that form feed command?

   This is symptomatic of what personal experience has shown me with the
   HP LaserJet II, namely, it doesn't have enough memory to store the whole
   page in its memory.  The HP LaserJet II, without memory expansion, would
   only handle about 65% of a page at 300dpi.

   Alexander Elkins (I don't speak for the company, I just work there)

This sounds very familar....

When Rich Champeaux and I were developing PLT: (HP-GL interpreter) this same
symptom appeared.  Everything worked fine on Rich's Okidata 293 (?), but on
my Laserjet, I would get several pages ejected.  We were dumping a series
of RastPorts using the DumpRPort() routine which unfortunately allowed the
printer to perform a formfeed after each dump.  There is a flag in the 1.3
printer control routines that will inhibit this formfeed.  This worked for us.

If I were writing a score dumper I would "band" the output since I could then
take advantage of the resolution of the printer. (Scores are inherently banded
anyway).  It may be possible that Deluxe Music does not make proper use of the
printer control flags. If this is the case there is really nothing you can do
to stop it (with the exception of directing the output to a file and removing
all the extra ESC-E (?) sequences.

These same symptoms will also appear if your printer runs out of memory
but the printer will show an error and if you tell it to continue it will
start printing at the physical page location where it left off.  You can
reinsert the piece of paper but it hardly ever aligns up perfectly.
Since the original poster did not mention that the printer generates an error
or that the second page starts printing where the first left off, I would
guess that SPECIAL_NOFORMFEED (?) flag is not used when opening the printer.

--
Jimmy Miller

General Electric Corporate Research and Developement:	millerjv@crd.ge.com
Rensselaer Design Research Center (RPI):		jvmiller@rdrc.rpi.edu

"All I need is room to play."

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (08/20/90)

In article <31110004@hpfinote.HP.COM> aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) writes:
>>Well, I can get Deluxe Music to run (by lobotomizing my caches.)  I can get
>>it to play (though it takes over the audio device.) But as for printing with
>>my Hewlett Packard DeskJet - it prints one stave/staff and then ejects the
>>page, continuing on the next page (which also gets just one staff...)

>>Does anybody know what is causing that form feed command?

>This is symptomatic of what personal experience has shown me with the
>HP LaserJet II, namely, it doesn't have enough memory to store the whole
>page in its memory.  The HP LaserJet II, without memory expansion, would

I've seen this before on DMCS and I don't think it is a memory
problem because the breaks are always between staves.

Sorry, I don't remember how it was solved (there is a solution, but I
don't own this software, and it's been years since I've worked with
it).

I just didn't want you to waste time worrying about memory.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G Stern) (08/21/90)

Since everyone seems to agree that DMCS is messed up with
no hope for improvements in the future, what are people using
instead?

				Eric Stern
				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/21/90)

> my Laserjet, I would get several pages ejected.  We were dumping a series
> of RastPorts using the DumpRPort() routine which unfortunately allowed the
> printer to perform a formfeed after each dump.  There is a flag in the 1.3
> printer control routines that will inhibit this formfeed.  This worked for us.

Ah, Jim!
How the hell do you kick a laserjet into Landscape mode? I'm trying to
send the HPGL output of Multiplot to a LaserJet III, but it always
prints in portrait. I have tried Esc&0O before kicking it into HPGL,
and RO90 afterwards, but neither works. What comes out landscape on
PLT: comes out portrait on the LJ III.

Regards Alan

allen@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Allen Norskog) (08/21/90)

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:

>Well, I can get Deluxe Music to run (by lobotomizing my caches.)  I can get
>it to play (though it takes over the audio device.)  But as for printing with
>my Hewlett Packard DeskJet - it prints one stave/staff and then ejects the
>page, continuing on the next page (which also gets just one staff...)

>Does anybody know what is causing that form feed command?

aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) writes:

>This is symptomatic of what personal experience has shown me with the
>HP LaserJet II, namely, it doesn't have enough memory to store the whole
>page in its memory.  The HP LaserJet II, without memory expansion, would
>only handle about 65% of a page at 300dpi.  The HP DeskJet can also be
>memory expanded, and so maybe this is your problem.  Perhaps if the
>printer driver supports a lower resolution, say 150dpi or 75dpi, you
>could then print a full page with the memory the DeskJet does have.  Also
>note that any fonts downloaded to the DeskJet (assuming you can download
>fonts) would also consume memory.

I've printed music with a DeskJet using Deluxe Music, and thought I
should make some corrections here.  One of the nice things about a DeskJet
printer is that it can print a full page of 300dpi graphics without
needing extra memory.  This is not the case for LaserJet printers where
you do need the extra memory.

When I printed with the DeskJet, I got 4 staffs printed - these were
the 4 associated staffs for the same measures -- two treble, and two bass.
I did play around a bit with Preferences to get the style and resolution
I liked.  I would recommond using an integer scaling rather than letting
the computer decide.  Start with an integer factor of 2 with one of the
smoothing options on to "round" out the notes.  The results seemed
quite acceptable for personal use, but far from publishing standards.

However, as Robin pointed out, the next set of staves are printed on
the next page, which seems to be quite a waste of paper.  Deluxe
Music has taken a simple approach to printing.  Rather than trying
to determine how far down the page it is, it simply sends a form-feed
and starts fresh on a new page.  This does prevent complaints that
part of the music was printed on one page, and the other part on the
that lets the user say how many (groups of) staves to print on a page
and how much blank space to print between them.  Then if my printout
overflows a page, I can blame myself for guessing wrong, but I can
also get it right the second time.

Allen Norskog
allen_n@hpfcla.hp.com

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (08/22/90)

In article <MILLERJV.90Aug20090336@rigel.crd.ge.com> <millerjv@crd.ge.com> (Jimmy Miller) writes:
>If I were writing a score dumper I would "band" the output since I could then
>take advantage of the resolution of the printer. (Scores are inherently banded
>anyway).  It may be possible that Deluxe Music does not make proper use of the
>printer control flags. If this is the case there is really nothing you can do
>to stop it (with the exception of directing the output to a file and removing
>all the extra ESC-E (?) sequences.

I've found a tool called 'control' on an earlier fish disk.
It catches all rastport dumps and opens a requester where you
can fill the dump parameters. This allows to enabled the NOFORMFEED
option. You could change the program to avoid the requester for
each dump.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

lar@pa.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (08/24/90)

In article <379@fe2o3.UUCP> rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) writes:
   Sorry to say that the DJ{,+} can not store an entire page of
   bitmap/whatever and dump it like a LASER printer.

But since the DeskJet is not a page printer, it doesn't need to store
a whole page at a time in its memory.  Unexpanded DeskJet and DeskJet+
printers are perfectly capable of printing full page 300dpi graphics
with only 16k of RAM.

Lane
lar@usl.edu