[comp.sys.amiga] Problems with TeX on Amiga

zinkv@azu22.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Volker Zink) (08/22/90)

	Hello,

I've problems using TeX 3.0, AmigaTeX:

   - AmigaTeX uses Environment-Variables which are set with the
     'set'-command. This works fine when i am in the CLI. But
     when i enter the SKsh (i'm using v1.5) i cannot alter the
     values of these variables any more. How can they be changed
     in SKsh ?

   - TeX 3.0 which i have ftp-ed recently from xanth uses also variables
     for finding inputs. But it uses the setenv-command. Under
     the CLI it works fine, but after invoking SKsh it doesn't
     work any more. Also getenv doesn't work anymore. So i suppose
     that TeX cannot access the variables, and doesn't find his
     inputs. Is there a solution to this problem ?

   - Under SKsh i cannot type 'virmf &cmbase "\mode:=amiga; mag:= ..."'
     i must escape the colon between the "" . why ? is there a chance
     to use other quotes to use, so that it isn't necessary to
     escape the colon (and also the backslash) ?
     (i know that above the ampersand must also escaped, but it stands
     not between quotes)

   - Metafont has a display-Mode. This display-Mode works fine when
     i doesn't include amiga.mf. But normally i doesnt use display-Mode,
     and so my plain.base contains plain.mf and amiga.mf . When i invoke
     MF (with plain.base) the display-Mode doesnt work correct any more.
     (it opens a screen, but displays nothing). Can anyone tell me why ?

thanx

	Volker
Volker Zink               Email: zinkv@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de
Student                   local: zinkv@azu
Universitaet Stuttgart

higgin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Paul Higginbottom - CATS) (08/23/90)

In article <4140@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> zinkv@azu22.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Volker Zink) writes:
$
$	Hello,
$
$   - AmigaTeX uses Environment-Variables which are set with the
$ [various problems with environment variables when using a special
$ shell.]
$

The problem is because TeX (the version I use) uses a Manx C way of doing
environment variables and the set/setenv type commands that are probably
built into the shell you're using do not set the same global environment
variables.  One trick you could use is the do an alias such as:

	alias set tex:c/set []

Or something similar so that you override (hopefully your shell would
allow this) the built-in commands.

$---------------------------------------------------------------------------
$Volker Zink               Email: zinkv@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de
$Student                   local: zinkv@azu
$Universitaet Stuttgart

	Hope this helps.
	Paul.

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (08/23/90)

>   - TeX 3.0 which i have ftp-ed recently from xanth uses also variables
>     for finding inputs. But it uses the setenv-command. Under
>     the CLI it works fine, but after invoking SKsh it doesn't
>     work any more. Also getenv doesn't work anymore. So i suppose
>     that TeX cannot access the variables, and doesn't find his
>     inputs. Is there a solution to this problem ?

[several other problems with TeX variables/SKsh deleted ]

There are several different standards for environment variables under
AmigaDos.  SKsh uses the standard AmigaDos solution, which is to store
variable contents under an ENV: directory in a file named the sama as
the variable name.  It could very well be that TeX (the amiga version
with with I am unfamiliar) uses another method, such as the Manx/ARP
method.  If I understand your problem correctly, that would explain it.

I thought it was better to use the standard AmigaDos solution in SKsh.
"export -e var" will set an AmigaDos env variable from in SKsh.

   - steve

stevef@bony1.uucp (Steve Faiwiszewski) (08/24/90)

In article <4140@ifi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> zinkv@azu22.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Volker Zink) writes:
>I've problems using TeX 3.0, AmigaTeX:
>Volker Zink               Email: zinkv@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de
>Student                   local: zinkv@azu
>Universitaet Stuttgart

By the way, how do the two implementations compare (AmigaTeX vs. TeX
3.0)? Which one is "better"?

        - Steve -

Internet: stevef@bony.COM    |              Steve Faiwiszewski
          stevef@bony1.UUCP  |                   --=::=--
bang    : uunet!bony1!stevef |       C++ : a strongly hyped language

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (08/24/90)

>   - AmigaTeX uses Environment-Variables which are set with the
>     'set'-command. This works fine when i am in the CLI. But
>     when i enter the SKsh (i'm using v1.5) i cannot alter the
>     values of these variables any more. How can they be changed
>     in SKsh ?
> thanx
>	Volker

Do you have the current version of AmigaTeX?  An older version used
the Manx type of envariables.  The current version uses the ENV: type.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"