[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore at SIGGRAPH

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (08/11/90)

Wow.  Wow.  Wow.

Loads of A3000's, in a booth equivalent to Sun or any other workstation
class vendor.  They were showing Disney's Animation package, Animation
Station (I think it was AS.  It had Bezier curve based animation and
"spines" for objects), ASDG stuff, X software, etc.  It was way cool.

NewTek had a large booth, showing the VideoToaster live and in action.
They had a unit you could play with ("keep it away from that guy over
there in the suit" the woman who let me look at the card told me.
Later examination of his badge showed he was from Sony. :-)  They
also had a 4d rendering package (Imagine?  Is that from NewTek?)
being demoed; and, of course, the Penn and Teller demo tape.

Lots of people were crowded around both the CBM and NewTek booths.
What I overheard the most: "That's the educational cost.  What's the
*real* cost for us end users.  You're kidding.  That's the
*retail* cost?"

Also, I ran into two salesgoons from the local (and only) Amiga
dealership.  It was a pleasant surprise.

--
J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
Internet: jet@uh.edu

ked01@ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (08/12/90)

In article <1990Aug11.001916.9035@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

> NewTek had a large booth, showing the VideoToaster live and in action.
> They had a unit you could play with ("keep it away from that guy over
> there in the suit" the woman who let me look at the card told me.
> Later examination of his badge showed he was from Sony. :-)  They
> also had a 4d rendering package (Imagine?  Is that from NewTek?)
> being demoed; and, of course, the Penn and Teller demo tape.

OK ... I'm ready for a good laugh ...

What was NewTek's "story" this time concerning actual availability?  Price?

Hopefully they have been able to come up with something more creative than:
"It's in FCC testing" (where it has been for a year or two), or "DRAM prices
are (still) too high" (which was worn out 18 months ago), or "We decided to
re-engineer it to work on 3000's/2.0" (which means we can play this vapor-
ware game all over again, whilst still keeping the market stifled).

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@uts.amdahl.com   -OR-   ked01@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (08/12/90)

In article <fctU02P101n601@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> ked01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>In article <1990Aug11.001916.9035@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>
>> NewTek had a large booth, showing the VideoToaster live and in action.
>> They had a unit you could play with ("keep it away from that guy over
>> there in the suit" the woman who let me look at the card told me.
>> Later examination of his badge showed he was from Sony. :-)  They
>> also had a 4d rendering package (Imagine?  Is that from NewTek?)

I remember now:  They were showing off LightWave.  There was also
an animation in the rejects show (a friend at Pixar told me it was
the "animation for the artistically impaired" show) produced on an
Amiga with "LighWave".  It was "Rush Hour", by Allen Hastings,
produced on an Amiga 2000 using NewTek LighWave.

>What was NewTek's "story" this time concerning actual availability?  Price?

$1495?  $1595?  GA is not been specified, but "developers are getting
units already".  For $1600 you get a VT and a calculator (according
to Penn and Teller :-).

One more thing:  "Animation - Agony & Ecstasy 30 Times a Second" was
shown in the Screening Room.  It was produced on an Amiga 500 with
Deluxe Paint 2.0 and Quickflix 1.03 by Stephen A. Wroble.  It
got the most applause I heard for any of the stuff shown in the rejects
show. (This is a very funny quick slide-show about trying to
do animation on an Amiga.)

There were a total of 5 Amiga-based animations in the Screening Room.

--

millerjv@rigel.crd.ge.com (Jim V Miller) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug11.001916.9035@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

   Wow.  Wow.  Wow.

   Loads of A3000's, in a booth equivalent to Sun or any other workstation
   class vendor.

Just a slight correction.  Commodore's and NewTek's boothes were about half
the size of Sun, HP, etc.

But they were still really impressive.  I don't have a use for Video Toaster,
but it sure was neat.

--
Jimmy Miller

General Electric Corporate Research and Developement:	millerjv@crd.ge.com
Rensselaer Design Research Center (RPI):		jvmiller@rdrc.rpi.edu

"All I need is room to play."

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (08/14/90)

Oh, you haven't heard...

The Video Toaster has passed FCC classA...meaning its available for sale to
"professionals".  FCC class B is expected in a few months for average joe
buyers...

The Toasters (according to our contact at NewTek) will ship the first week of
September, with ToasterPaint and LightWave 3D...we've already got brochures
and all on it...and four of them ordered...and already spoken for :')

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (08/14/90)

In article <fctU02P101n601@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>Hopefully they have been able to come up with something more creative than:
>"It's in FCC testing" (where it has been for a year or two), or "DRAM prices
>are (still) too high" (which was worn out 18 months ago), or "We decided to
>re-engineer it to work on 3000's/2.0" (which means we can play this vapor-
>ware game all over again, whilst still keeping the market stifled).

I like the Atari story, whenever a new product previews, the one that is
supposed to work was "dropped by the UPS guy" and so unfortunately it can't
be demonstrated. Of course it will ship in production quantities next
month. ha ha ha.

The NewTek people are just new to the game. I can't believe the Digiview
revenues have kept them alive this long.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug11.001916.9035@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Loads of A3000's, in a booth equivalent to Sun or any other workstation
>class vendor.  They were showing Disney's Animation package, Animation
>Station (I think it was AS.  It had Bezier curve based animation and
>"spines" for objects), ASDG stuff, X software, etc.  It was way cool.

I think you have a few different products mixed up. Disney Animation
Studio was being demoed next to Hash Animation Journeyman. It was
Journeyman that was doing spline surface 3D objects being animated
on spline motion paths. The Disney product is a 2D cel animator.

>NewTek had a large booth, showing the VideoToaster live and in action.
>They had a unit you could play with ("keep it away from that guy over
>there in the suit" the woman who let me look at the card told me.
>Later examination of his badge showed he was from Sony. :-)  They
>also had a 4d rendering package (Imagine?  Is that from NewTek?)
>being demoed; and, of course, the Penn and Teller demo tape.

Imagine is an Impulse product which was being demoed with the Firecracker
frame buffer over at the Commodore booth. The NewTek renderer is called
LightWave 3D. Both it and the Toaster made quite an impression at the show.
I overheard a couple of Exhibitors by the RasterOps booth trying to convince
a Mac owner that for her video work, she would be better off selling her
Mac and getting an Amiga/Toaster combination rather than wasting any more
money on the Mac. Pretty good advice coming from a couple of Macintosh
peripheral people.
|  Mark Thompson                                                           |
|  mark@westford.ccur.com                                                  |
|  ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark   Designing high performance graphics  |
|  (508)392-2480                      engines today for a better tomorrow. |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------- +

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (08/16/90)

In article <1990Aug11.001916.9035@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>  They were showing Disney's Animation package, Animation
>Station (I think it was AS.  It had Bezier curve based animation and
>"spines" for objects)

The new Disney package (formerly Onion, formerly Backlight) is called Disney
presents The Animation Studio.  It is a program for doing 2D Cel animation,
by hand (you do the in-betweening, not the program).

The program with spline curves, was Animation:Journeyman from Hash Enterprises
(I was the one showing it).  BTW, they weren't Bezier curves, they are a
new kind of 3D spline that we developed.  Another important distinction between
the Disney program and Journeyman is that JMan is 3D.  I just wanted to
clear up this misunderstanding.

>NewTek had a large booth, showing the VideoToaster live and in action.
>They also had a 4d rendering package (Imagine?  Is that from NewTek?)

You mean Allen Hasting's new animation program for the Toaster?  It's called
LightWave, and it's fantastic.  Imagine is the new program from Impulse that
was also in the Commodore booth.
>--
>J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

ammrk@swpyr2.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (08/16/90)

In article <140582@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

>The NewTek people are just new to the game. I can't believe the Digiview
>revenues have kept them alive this long.
      The rumor I heard was that Commodore basically bought out NewTek a couple
  of years ago when NewTek got in trouble with the FCC for the Digiview
  product.  Rumor has it that they were fined some very huge sum of money, and
  Commodore stepped in and paid the bill (they didn't want to see the Toaster
  die).  Again, no facts here, all rumors.

	  Kind of makes since don't it.  Really, when did the last NewTek product
  come out?  Have you seen their displays at some of the Big Shows?  Where does
  all that money come from.  Why would this wonderful board ONLY be produced
  for the Amiga?  Etc, etc, etc.

								   See ya all, Mike...

>--
>--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems

  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations Mechanization - SWBT - Finance Department
  One Bell Center - 30-D-06 - St. Louis, Mo. 63101        PHONE: 314-235-8012
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swpyr2.sbc.com!ammrk

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (08/17/90)

In various articles, various people write:
>In article <1990Aug11.001916.9035@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>> [A bunch of incorrect names for products.]
> [The correct names for products.]

Sorry about all that.  I think I shifted all the names in [name,description]
by one or two places.

Did anyone see the animation made with LightWave?  How was it?
(I didn't get a chance to see it.)

I don't know how I got Disney's name/product confused with
Animation:Journeyman.  I've had friends drooling over the prospect of
good cel animation for some time now who won't shut up about that
damn thing.

--

mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug16.192440.23809@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>Did anyone see the animation made with LightWave?  How was it?
>(I didn't get a chance to see it.)

There were two animations running that were produced with lightwave.
One was a remake of "Rush Hour" (originally done with VideoScape 3D)
and the was "Flying Chrome Teapots" or someting like that. Rush Hour
looked pretty good except for the tower that gets shot by the
attacking helicopters, it was in bad need of antialiasing. The other
animation was a teapot spinning toward the camera with a relection
map of the background applied to it making it look like chrome. There
were 3 or 4 different backgrounds. This animation looked like it was
done in the low-res rendering mode (probably to get it out in time
for the show) although I could be mistaken. The effect was nice but it
had a jagged look to it. Note that that LightWave does not create
RAM animations like other 3D packages. Niether the Amiga or Toaster
is currently capable of real-time 24bit page-flip animation (VERY few
machines are, Silicon Graphics can't do it). Animations must be single
framed to a suitable recording medium. Which brings up a question:

Is anyone out there currently using an Abekas A60 video disk recorder
for single framing their Amiga animations. I would be very interested
to here from you if own, rent, or use an A60. I am particularly interested
in a comparison between it and single-frame capable VCRs as well as
cost of use.

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (08/18/90)

In article <17@swpyr2.sbc.com> ammrk@swpyr2.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>      The rumor I heard was that Commodore basically bought out NewTek a couple

You know, at first I dismissed this, but then I thought:  A-Live! purchased by
Cmdre, delayed for three years.  Toaster purchased by Cmdre, delayed for three
years.
Hey, this makes some sense :( :()

					-Dave

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

koshy@abekrd.UUCP (Koshy Abraham) (08/20/90)

In <45993@masscomp.ccur.com> mark@calvin..westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:

>Is anyone out there currently using an Abekas A60 video disk recorder
>for single framing their Amiga animations. I would be very interested
I haven't tried this combination (i.e. I haven't done any animations yet),
maybe this is something for me to try out.

>to here from you if own, rent, or use an A60. I am particularly interested
...own, rent, or use... -see the signature.
>in a comparison between it and single-frame capable VCRs as well as
>cost of use.
I have none available.

--
Koshy Abraham                UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!pyrltd!abekrd!koshy
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.     NET: koshy@abekrd.co.uk       //

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/21/90)

In article <45993@masscomp.ccur.com> mark@calvin.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
> ...Note that that LightWave does not create
>RAM animations like other 3D packages. Niether the Amiga or Toaster
>is currently capable of real-time 24bit page-flip animation (VERY few
>machines are, Silicon Graphics can't do it). Animations must be single
>framed to a suitable recording medium. Which brings up a question:

The DCTV (Digital Creations TV (forget what TV stands for)) is capable
of doing 24bit page-flip animation out of a standard Amiga.  'course it's
not on the market yet so it doesn't count.

It does this by compressing the pictures using some funky encoding
technique similar-in-concept-to the Black Belt scheme.  Decoding is
done in an external box that also doubles as a 24bit/pixel video digitizer.
The resulting frames are the same size as normal ILBM frames and
can (so long as no IFF purists are in the room) be put in place of normal
ILBM frames and animated from something like Deluxe Paint III.

It works!  It was being demonstrated at FAUG in May (I think)!

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (08/24/90)

Most high-end facilities that process single-frame 3d animations now use the
abekas for thier single frame chores.  It's alot better then tying up a 1" or
BetaCam machine to churn away for hours and hours.  That can be VERY abusive
to a good VTR.  Storing them in the Abekas created no wear and tear on the
equipment.  Ya just hafta find the big-bucks for an Abekas that's gonna store
enough time for you.

I don't use 'em personally because I don't have the money but I know several
people who swear by them and they are coming from SGI platforms and WaveFront
software.

________ Pro-Graphics BBS - It's better than a sharp stick in the eye! ________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |  Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854