[comp.sys.amiga] Two bug reports

andy@cbmvax (Andy Finkel) writes:
>valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>>danbabcock@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/ph1) writes:
>>>
>>> The following are two bug/feature reports that I emailed
>>> to Commodore. I'm posting them because I'm sure some other
>>> people are interested, and I'm not sure if Commodore
>>> received my email (no response as of this writing).
>>
>> If you mailed the bug reports to bugs@cbmvax, chances are
>> the mail was received.  But you did not get a reply,
>> because no reply was ever sent to you. It would be
>> ideal for bugs@cbmvax to reply to you with the bug number
>> that was assigned to your report, but alas that is not the
>> case.
>
> Sorry, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Now children, don't quarrel in-house; go out on the net to
play.

Oops!  Wrong newsgroup!  Thought I was in misc.kids.  ;-)

> We do a reply on emailed bug messages as an ACK before
> it's entered in the database, but rely on the return
> address being accurate.  They seem to bounce a lot :-(

Now there at least is an easy problem to solve!  Take a
page from the vote takers' manual; if your ACKs bounce,
bulk post them!

I think _everybody_ would like to see a monthly posting
of new bug-number, bug-reported-by, bug-assigned-to,
bug-priority, bug-one-line-descriptions from CBM show up
in comp.sys.amiga.tech, and the load as a percent of the
newsgroup volume would be infinitessimal.

Add to that a list of known outstanding bugs, and known fixed
bugs with fixes not yet released, and it would be a lot easier
to decide whether to report the latest quirky behavior seen in
AmigaDOS 1.1.  ;-)

If someone at CATS has the time, that would be a good PR and
public service kind of a thing to do on USENet, and would
save developers and users mountains of time figuring out that
the problem is in the OS, and not in our stars.

Kent, the man from xanth.

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug21.123304.5731@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>andy@cbmvax (Andy Finkel) writes:
>>valentin@cbmvax (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

Sorry, I didn't see who I was replying to; otherwise I would
have had him post the correction.  His job doesn't involve him
with the details of the bug database so wouldn't know how it works.

>I think _everybody_ would like to see a monthly posting
>of new bug-number, bug-reported-by, bug-assigned-to,
>bug-priority, bug-one-line-descriptions from CBM show up
>in comp.sys.amiga.tech, and the load as a percent of the
>newsgroup volume would be infinitessimal.

I may get flames for this, but I feel this would not be a good
thing to do on Usenet as it currently exists.  Due to the nature
of the net (flames, rumors, flames about rumors, flames about
flames about rumors, etc, and the endless supply of factoids
and factoid generators and regenerators) it would quickly
degenerate into a PR nightmare.

Also, most of this type of thing is better handled internally.
(more efficiently, anyway).  On BIX our bug topics get a constant
stream of 'me too' messages, which add little to informational
content. Given the nature of Usenet, I suspect it would be a touch
worse here.

Maybe after the impending death of the net and replacement
by the next generation it could work :-)  (that's a joke, Son.)

			andy

>Kent, the man from xanth.

(BTW, a long thread of argument posted about the above would only
 confirm the point past any doubt.)
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Of course it's the murder weapon.  Who would frame someone with a fake?"

In article <1990Aug21.123304.5731@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>I think _everybody_ would like to see a monthly posting
>of new bug-number, bug-reported-by, bug-assigned-to,
>bug-priority, bug-one-line-descriptions from CBM show up
>in comp.sys.amiga.tech, and the load as a percent of the
>newsgroup volume would be infinitessimal.

I don't think so.  comp.sys.amiga.tech is not the forum for such
reporting.  Commercial developers have more than one direct channel
(beta updates and BIX), and splattering bug reports on a "public"
medium like Usenet is like washing your dirty laundry in public.
No wonder NO computer company does that.

>If someone at CATS has the time, that would be a good PR and
						^^^^^^^^
>public service kind of a thing to do on USENet, and would
>save developers and users mountains of time figuring out that
>the problem is in the OS, and not in our stars.

Good PR?  You must be joking :-) I guess you have no idea of
what "good PR" is.  "Real developers" have all the ways to find
out what they need and they don't need any "mountain of time".
I can talk by personal experience: Commodore has had the BEST developer's
support of ALL companies I've been developing for (and that includes
"other" three-letter companies :-)

-- Marco

"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (08/24/90)

<
<Add to that a list of known outstanding bugs, and known fixed
<bugs with fixes not yet released, and it would be a lot easier
<to decide whether to report the latest quirky behavior seen in
<AmigaDOS 1.1.  ;-)

Also unknown bugs, bugs to be introduced, bugs not yet exploited
and bugs not converted to features.

I knew the Amiga is an outstanding machine; now it also has outstanding bugs.

Jesper.

--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

My favorite kill move is to befriend the opponent and have him die of old age.
            - dbn@wyvern.UUCP (Daniel B. Nissman) in rec.martial-arts