[comp.sys.amiga] Superbase and Arexx

RN6%WINDSOR1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (Blair Middleton) (08/21/90)

Here is a question that I hope someone out in Netland can help
me with. I am trying to get Precision Software's relational
database program, Superbase Professional, to talk with
Amigavision via its AREXX port but have been having no luck
whatsoever. I have to be able to call Superbase and have it return
data entries, etc. The documentation is skimpy on this matter
(it only has a "ReadMe" file on the master disk that even
tells you that it has AREXX capabilities). I have had the program
registered for about a year and haven't heard from the company
in that time so I don't know if they are really supporting their
product. I have called the company but they said that I have to
pay a $75 fee for the answer to this question as they only have tech
support for the first 2 weeks! I haven't had any trouble with
Superbase till I have tried to interact with Amigavision.

So if anyone has ANY experience with this kind of problem (and any
possible solution), could they please respond either by E-Mail or to
the Net.

Also, if anyone has any other relational database programs that could
use with Amigavision that utilizes AREXX, I would be very appreciative
if they could pass the info along. Thanks in advance.

-Blair

    // R. Blair Middleton. University of Windsor
  \X/  Atomic Physics Group            BITNET RN6@WINDSOR1
       "All views expressed are mine and not my employers"

In article <27994@nigel.ee.udel.edu> RN6%WINDSOR1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (Blair Middleton) writes:
>Here is a question that I hope someone out in Netland can help
>me with. I am trying to get Precision Software's relational
>database program, Superbase Professional, to talk with
>Amigavision via its AREXX port but have been having no luck
>whatsoever. I have to be able to call Superbase and have it return
>data entries, etc. The documentation is skimpy on this matter
>(it only has a "ReadMe" file on the master disk that even
>tells you that it has AREXX capabilities). I have had the program
>registered for about a year and haven't heard from the company
>in that time so I don't know if they are really supporting their
>product. I have called the company but they said that I have to
>pay a $75 fee for the answer to this question as they only have tech
>support for the first 2 weeks! I haven't had any trouble with
>Superbase till I have tried to interact with Amigavision.
>
>So if anyone has ANY experience with this kind of problem (and any
>possible solution), could they please respond either by E-Mail or to
>the Net.
>
>Also, if anyone has any other relational database programs that could
>use with Amigavision that utilizes AREXX, I would be very appreciative
>if they could pass the info along. Thanks in advance.

Somehow I'd have thought companies trying to sell in the Amiga market
would have caught on by now.  The Superbase folks claim to be "AREXX
compatible" but omit any documentation telling how to use this purported
facility.  Blair, in all innocence, having spent big bucks for this
package, says "where's the docs on how to use this AREXX" feature, and
the company tells him he's going to have to cough up lots more money
to get the docs that were irresponsibly omitted from the original shrink
wrap product.  Like their responsibility to make the product usable
_in_the_first_place_ magically disappeared two weeks after he bought it.

And Blair tells his story on one of the many nets where the Amiga is
discussed, and what, 150,000 potential customers for Superbase find out
they don't want to put themselves in the position of having to deal with
the company's product support, so probably are dissuaded from buying the
product.

Haven't the vendors learned?  AMIGA USERS KISS AND TELL!  Screw with just
ONE customer, and the world finds out, your rep goes through the floor,
rapidly followed by the trend line on your sales chart.

An oft told story.  How many companies aren't selling in the Amiga
market any more after the word got out on USENet, or Compuserve, or
BIX, or Fidonet, or Genie, or PeopleLink, or ...

The marketplace is global in more than the shipping lanes, gang, your
misdeeds and your excellences are reported worldwide, so your reputation
is global, too.  Smarten up!  Pay attention, the customer may not always
be right, but you're going to wish you'd treated him as if he were.

Kent, the man from xanth.
Anyone taking bets on how much longer Montgomery Grant will be around?
Tell all your friends!  ;-)

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (08/23/90)

Need more details.  I have palyed around with Superbase and ARexx a bit
and had no problems reading and writing files via the ARexx port.
I know nothing about amiga vision, but what you want AV to do is launch
an ARexx program that talks to superbase and returns what you want.
So you need to know what the name of the superbase ARexx port is so you
are sure that you are sending stuff to it, and you need to know the
correct superbase commands to make superbase do what you want.  Thats
all I did and it seemed to work.  Perhaps I don't grasp your problem
yet.

Dana
bourgeois

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug21.130544.6519@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
<In article <27994@nigel.ee.udel.edu> RN6%WINDSOR1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (Blair Middleton) writes:
<<[question: how to use superbase with arexx]
<
<Somehow I'd have thought companies trying to sell in the Amiga market
<would have caught on by now.  The Superbase folks claim to be "AREXX
<compatible" but omit any documentation telling how to use this purported
<facility.

The docs for how to use Superbase from ARexx are in the latest printing
of the manual. I Emailed the relevant part (not sure if it got through
but it hasn't bounced yet).

<  Blair, in all innocence, having spent big bucks for this
<package, says "where's the docs on how to use this AREXX" feature, and
<the company tells him he's going to have to cough up lots more money
<to get the docs that were irresponsibly omitted from the original shrink
<wrap product.

My registration card (not yet sent of) says 90 days tech assistance
the $75 is per year for ongoing support as well as cheaper upgrades and
free updates.

While this may be a bit steep it could be that Precision Software have
been stung by a flood of technical calls in the past. Don't forget
Superbase is available on the Atari ST as well and those users are pretty
stupid [Mine is literally in the closet].

<[stuff deleted]
<
<Haven't the vendors learned?  AMIGA USERS KISS AND TELL!  Screw with just
<ONE customer, and the world finds out, your rep goes through the floor,
<rapidly followed by the trend line on your sales chart.
<
<An oft told story.  How many companies aren't selling in the Amiga
<market any more after the word got out on USENet, or Compuserve, or
<BIX, or Fidonet, or Genie, or PeopleLink, or ...

This can also be pretty dangerous, I think a larger body of evidence
should be required before we take it upon ourselves to shoot down
developers and traders though some undoubtedly deserve it.

>[stuff deleted]

Jesper.
--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

My favorite kill move is to befriend the opponent and have him die of old age.
            - dbn@wyvern.UUCP (Daniel B. Nissman) in rec.martial-arts