[comp.sys.amiga] Sculpt 4D -> Mac

iwscoop@bigsur.uucp (Serge Ah-Hee) (08/24/90)

I've been using Sculpt 4D for a year now, specifically its object
editor ( I render the objects using Turbo Silver ). However, I
heard that Sculpt 4D is being developed on the MACII. Does this
mean that Amiga support for Sculpt is going down the tubes? I've
heard of texture mapping on the MAC, but what about the Amiga? I
also saw the price tag for the Mac version. 1500$ It's
ridiculous! and this doesn't even include the animation module.
Want animation on the mac version? slap another 1000$. I guess
someone out there is making a killing in cash. I just hope that
Byte by Byte doesn't let the Amiga down. I have the first version
of Sculpt (don't know it off hand,it is a year old) but are there
 any new versions out there?

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.191200.11259@bigsur.uucp> iwscoop@bigsur.uucp (Serge Ah-Hee) writes:
>I've been using Sculpt 4D for a year now, specifically its object
>editor ( I render the objects using Turbo Silver ). However, I

This is the way I and most people I know working in video do things.
Why, because the images on Sculpt still suck!

>heard that Sculpt 4D is being developed on the MACII. Does this
>mean that Amiga support for Sculpt is going down the tubes? I've
>heard of texture mapping on the MAC, but what about the Amiga? I
>also saw the price tag for the Mac version. 1500$ It's
>ridiculous! and this doesn't even include the animation module.
>Want animation on the mac version? slap another 1000$. I guess
>someone out there is making a killing in cash. I just hope that
>Byte by Byte doesn't let the Amiga down. I have the first version
>of Sculpt (don't know it off hand,it is a year old) but are there
> any new versions out there?

Well, as far as I know you are too late.  The Sculpt series is being
handled by Centaur and Bite my Butt is working solely with the Mac.
I have called Byte by Byte with Buffer driver questions and frame
controller driver questions and the type of comments I got were
"...well, I'm not sure what you would do... the 24bit files we have
worked with are all on the Mac..."

The only thing that keeps me from really getting pissed is the same
HORRIBLE things that show up in Amiga renders (poor lighting effects,
washed out colors, smoothing errors.) are still in the Mac pictures
I have seen, and if you think Sculpts windows were DOG-like on the Amiga,
image them on an 8bit or 24bit MacII.

To this day Byte by Byte has still not adressed any of the major
bugs and problems that I have presented them, which I think is pitiful
considering the Money our company has spent on the software and hardware
ment for use with the software.
  Ever try to render an animation in scanline painting/hires-lace/video
  ...you can't if there is a take loaded.

..yes, I feel better.

David
watters@cis.ohio-state.edu