[comp.sys.amiga] FRED FISH CD ROM?

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu (08/03/90)

>From:  edu%"trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu""Jerry J Trantow"  2-AUG-1990 14:10:43.83
You Write:
[pondering stuff deleted]

>Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)
>
>Think about it, no more looking through the back of a magazine for titles,
>a reduction in c.s.a traffic for FTP sites of fish disks,
>code examples at your typing finger tips,
>games galore!
>
>And only with Amiga.
>
>Jerry J. Trantow

Yes! That would be great,
But, and this is an important but,
don't go the way apple-macintosh CD's went.

Whole CD's are packed with the greatest bu@@s@@t ever.
Let's hope that that will not happen. Maybe we need to
make a Billboard top 100 software programs CD, where only the best
PD and SHAREWARE software will be found.
For example: on the MAC-CDROM from EDUCORP are over 25 communications-programs,
2 of them could do XMODEM, none could do ZMODEM.
Why not just 5 com-programs, all of which are good!

Yes, I am for a FISHCD, but only if it is the best!

Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM)

cknight@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (King Claudius) (08/03/90)

How about the:

***Fred Fish Floptical!***

Catchy, and totally obnoxious...that of course requires it to be on a floptical
disc....but why not?  I wouldn't want to buy a CD ROM player nowadays...

--
cknight@polyslo.calpoly.edu                    ---King Claudius---

joseph@valnet (Joseph Hillenburg) (08/03/90)

NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu writes:

> >From:  edu%"trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu""Jerry J Trantow"  2-AUG-1990 14:10:43.
> You Write:
> [pondering stuff deleted]
> >
> >Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)
> >
> >Think about it, no more looking through the back of a magazine for titles,
> >a reduction in c.s.a traffic for FTP sites of fish disks,
> >code examples at your typing finger tips,
> >games galore!
> >
> >And only with Amiga.
> >
> >Jerry J. Trantow
>
> Yes! That would be great,
> But, and this is an important but,
> don't go the way apple-macintosh CD's went.
>
> Whole CD's are packed with the greatest bu@@s@@t ever.
> Let's hope that that will not happen. Maybe we need to
> make a Billboard top 100 software programs CD, where only the best
> PD and SHAREWARE software will be found.
> For example: on the MAC-CDROM from EDUCORP are over 25 communications-program
> 2 of them could do XMODEM, none could do ZMODEM.
> Why not just 5 com-programs, all of which are good!
>
> Yes, I am for a FISHCD, but only if it is the best!
>
> Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM)

If Fish makes a CD, the first one should include all the Fish disks to
date. That way, we know it has good programs on it. He should keep making
his floppies, and when he gets 300 new ones, he should  pack the new ones
onto another CD-ROM. He should also unarchive those #!#!$#! .zoo and .arc
archives. (Aren't they a pain?!?)

-Joseph Hillenburg
InterNet: joseph@valnet                         UUCP: iuvax!valnet!joseph
PC-Link: Joe Hillenburg             Most other systems: Joseph Hillenburg
Don't buy a computer unless it's an Amiga - Me - AMIGA RULES! - AMIGA RUL

In <MWM.90Aug3154335@raven.pa.dec.com>, mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) writes:

>The point of the CD-ROM is that it will hold the _entire_ Fish
>collection (twice, even?). Pruning it based on quality for a CD-rom
>isn't applicable. Doing "Gold Fish" (stolen name) that have your "best
>of the Fish disks" on them is something different.

Heartily agreed! One thing though; for maximum utility, a CD-ROM containing the
Fish disks should be indexed, cross indexed, and cross-cross indexed; the more
indexes the better. With appropriate software and an appropriate index, you
should be able to find references to any word in any file on any disk,
discounting some words, such as 'the', 'and', 'in', etc.

Imagine being able to search for example code using system call names, keywords
that are likely to appear in comments or READMEs, using logical AND or OR to
qualify the search.  While an index could easily take up as much or more space
as the data, I feel that it would be well worth it, even if it meant splitting
the entire current collection into 2 CD-ROMs.

>Later, when we get to Fish disk #700 or so, it might do to prune
>antique versions of the software. But I'd be loathe to prune any old
>versions before it was necessary, as the new versions may have bugs
>that break vital features for a few users.

Absolutely. With CD-ROM, there is no need to prune. All versions of any given
piece of code might be useful to someone, if for no other reason than to show
what has been changed, and how a problem routine was rewritten.

It has been said that the CD-ROM field is currently in a 'chicken-and-egg'
situation, and to some degree that is true. Fortunately, this is changing, and
will continue to change rapidly. Current drive prices, from mail order outlets,
have dropped to under $800 (and I may even be out of date on that). Sun
Microsystems is now bundling a CD-ROM drive with all SPARCservers, and an
external SCSI CD-ROM unit can be purchased from them for about $1000, including
case and power supply. Sun will, in the forseeable future, use CD-ROM for
distribution of all OS updates. Apple is getting into it heavily, and so on.

Looking at the market, it looks like a CD-ROM drive in a reasonable price range
(say, under $500), and an indexed Fish disk collection would sell fairly well,
to developers, user groups, and dealers.  Developers because it would be a near
priceless resource for example source code, user groups because it would be
easy to distribute Fish disks to members, and dealers because it would serve as
a draw to get people into the store.  Could the initial market serve to make it
worthwhile?  I think so, and I hope CBM thinks so too, and that it will spur
them to bring out a low cost drive, and to support any efforts to provide
software for it.

Heck, if I could buy an indexed Fish CD-ROM right now, at anywhere under $50, I
would do it in an instant, just on the speculation that there will be a CD-ROm
drive in my future. A retail price of $50 should net a profit for the work
required to do the index and search software, leaving the Fish contents as
close to free as the spirit of the collection demands.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

In <90215.224515JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>>> Whole CD's are packed with the greatest bu@@s@@t ever.
>>> Let's hope that that will not happen. Maybe we need to
>>> make a Billboard top 100 software programs CD, where only the best
>>> PD and SHAREWARE software will be found.
>>>
>>> Yes, I am for a FISHCD, but only if it is the best!
>>
>>If Fish makes a CD, the first one should include all the Fish disks to
>>date. That way, we know it has good programs on it.
>
>I also strongly plead that only QUALITY programs go on such a CD.
>
>I disagree that EVERY program off of every fish disk go on it.
>Many disks contain programs that bug-fixes were supplied for in
>later disks.  Why include the earlier versions?  Instead,
>substitute a short note stating that the bug-fixed program
>can be found 10 disks forward.  :-)

The value of a collection of disks is that it _is_ a collection, not a 'partial
collection' wherein someone has made judgements based on _their_ criteria as to
what should/should not be included. It costs no more to put 350 disks on a
CD-ROm than it does to put one disk on it.

I have no objections to a 'best of', but I probably wouldn't bother buying it.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) (08/04/90)

   From: NJ_GOKEM%FANDM.BITNET@pucc.princeton.edu
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
   Date: 2 Aug 90 18:43:43 GMT
   Sender: mmdf@udel.EDU

   >From:  edu%"trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu""Jerry J Trantow"  2-AUG-1990 14:10:43.83
   >Will there be a FredFish optical disk?  (Needs a catchy name)

   Yes! That would be great,
   But, and this is an important but,
   don't go the way apple-macintosh CD's went.

   For example: on the MAC-CDROM from EDUCORP are over 25 communications-programs,
   2 of them could do XMODEM, none could do ZMODEM.
   Why not just 5 com-programs, all of which are good!

Because for some reason, the authors of those other 20 thought the 5
you call "good" weren't acceptable - i.e, they needed VideoTron 150
emulation, and little else, which none of them provided.

The point of the CD-ROM is that it will hold the _entire_ Fish
collection (twice, even?). Pruning it based on quality for a CD-rom
isn't applicable. Doing "Gold Fish" (stolen name) that have your "best
of the Fish disks" on them is something different.

Later, when we get to Fish disk #700 or so, it might do to prune
antique versions of the software. But I'd be loathe to prune any old
versions before it was necessary, as the new versions may have bugs
that break vital features for a few users.

	<mike
--
Cats will be cats and cats will be cool			Mike Meyer
Cats can be callous and cats can be cruel		mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/04/90)

>> Whole CD's are packed with the greatest bu@@s@@t ever.
>> Let's hope that that will not happen. Maybe we need to
>> make a Billboard top 100 software programs CD, where only the best
>> PD and SHAREWARE software will be found.
>>
>> Yes, I am for a FISHCD, but only if it is the best!
>
>If Fish makes a CD, the first one should include all the Fish disks to
>date. That way, we know it has good programs on it.

I also strongly plead that only QUALITY programs go on such a CD.

I disagree that EVERY program off of every fish disk go on it.
Many disks contain programs that bug-fixes were supplied for in
later disks.  Why include the earlier versions?  Instead,
substitute a short note stating that the bug-fixed program
can be found 10 disks forward.  :-)

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (08/05/90)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>>> Yes, I am for a FISHCD, but only if it is the best!
>I also strongly plead that only QUALITY programs go on such a CD.
>I disagree that EVERY program off of every fish disk go on it.

And just what are your plans for that precious space you are saving
on the CDROM?  Remember, *read*only*, use it or lose it.  You're not
talking about floppy disks.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu

dougp@voodoo.ucsb.edu (08/05/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-

I am surprized that noone mentioned the greatest advantage of a CD ROM
Fish Disk, The CD ROM at about $5.00 pluss the CD ROM player at about
$500.00 would be cheaper than buying the entire set of fish disks at
the already great price of $2.00 per disk for 300+ disks.

Unfortunately, creating this CD ROM would require an upfront investment
of about $5000 on the part of Fred Fish. A possible solution would be
to have Commodore arrange for the production of the disks, and include
them with their roumored CD ROM drive, as well as selling them at cost
to Fred Fish so he could distribute them.

Updateing the disk once a year would probably be enough unless the
volume brought the price of more frequent updates low enough.

I am in favor of just publishing the entire collection as is, sorting
through all that data would be a horendous task. For future releases,
I would prefer to have the software so it could be executed directly
from the CD ROM.

Douglas Peale

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (08/06/90)

In article <6058@hub.ucsb.edu> dougp@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:
>-Message-Text-Follows-
>
>I am surprized that noone mentioned the greatest advantage of a CD ROM
>Fish Disk, The CD ROM at about $5.00 pluss the CD ROM player at about
>$500.00 would be cheaper than buying the entire set of fish disks at
>the already great price of $2.00 per disk for 300+ disks.
>
>Unfortunately, creating this CD ROM would require an upfront investment
>of about $5000 on the part of Fred Fish. A possible solution would be
>to have Commodore arrange for the production of the disks, and include
>them wi
OK, ater a fair amount of discussion this thread got back to my original
intent.  Are there plans for thee Fred Fish disks to be amoung the often
quoted 100 CD titles that will be released with the CDTV.  I realize this
disk might be of little value to CDTV owners (unless they had the optional
devices), but it would show that CBM is serious about CD ROM and quite
frankly I can not think of a better resource to have on CD ROM.

From all the discussion, it seems that quite a few on the net agree that
the Fish disks would be a valuable asset.  I would also guess that there
are or were no plans for such a disk before the discussion started.

>Updateing the disk once a year would probably be enough unless the
>volume brought the price of more frequent updates low enough.
>
>I am in favor of just publishing the entire collection as is, sorting
>through all that data would be a horendous task. For future releases,
>I would prefer to have the software so it could be executed directly
>from the CD ROM.
>
>Douglas Peale

As has been mentioned, culling out the updates and bad examples is not
necessary in an initial release.  There is room for all the disks.
Having a disk with the "best" is an idea when the CD ROM nears capacity.
As far as the indexing goes, it is a great idea, but would not be worth
delaying such a project.  Why not take the approach of the Census Bureau?
Make the data available and let the private sector do what they want with
it.  If CBM or Fred or ??? would publish a Fish CD ROM, I don't think
it would take very long before we saw PD/shareware/$$ programs that would
do the indexing and searching.  How long would it take to put together
a Cando or AmigaVision stack that you would customize with your own
search criteria.  I realize indexing would save time, but just having
all the floppies condensed onto one CD ROM would be a hell of an improve
ment over a file cabinet of floppies, waitnaiting for a users meeting, or
searching for a FTP site.

Let's keep kicking this idea around for a while longer and hopefully
someone will see a way to give the Amiga Community a big boost.

Jerry J. Trantow          | A basic premise is an absolute that permits no
1560 A. East Irving Place | co-operation with its antithesis and
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | tolerates no tolerance.
(414) 289-0503            |                           Ayn Rand

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (08/07/90)

In article <90215.224515JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>I also strongly plead that only QUALITY programs go on such a CD.

If the difference is between a CD that is 25% full and a CD that is 50%
full why do you care? It isn't like a back rev version of something is
making it impossible to fit the "latest" version or anything like that.

Also you can see what caused the bugs in the first place by looking at
the old versions.

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (08/07/90)

> steve@dcdwest.uucp writes:
> In article <jwright.649802443@quonset> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright)
> writes:
> >>I also strongly plead that only QUALITY programs go on such a CD.
> >>I disagree that EVERY program off of every fish disk go on it.
> >
> >And just what are your plans for that precious space you are saving
> >on the CDROM?  . . .
>
> How about hundreds of megs of the best animations ever done for the Amiga?
> Dr. Gandalf, etc - other PD artwork - The best of the BADGE Killer Demo
> Contest - this is the chance to get all those classic things that you didn't
> want to spend hundreds of hours downloading over your phone line!  The
> possibilities are nearly endless!

Yeah...with "TASS" we can have huge animations running off the disk.  And you
can store lots of digitized sounds/samples...and play them off the disk with
"Sound".  You can have every 8SVX instrument imaginable for Sonix & DMCS.
Wow!

steve@dcdwest.uucp (Steve Meloche) (08/07/90)

    _____ _____ _____      Steven Meloche
      |   ` | ' ` | '      ITT Avionics/Communications Division
      |     |     |        San Diego, CA
    __|__   |     |

jdickson@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (08/07/90)

	Would someone please tell me what the GURU meditation number
0000000B.00000000 is ?
				thanxs, Jeff

gerber@buzzer.enet.dec.com (Robert M. Gerber) (08/08/90)

On Cost of a Fish CD:

One of the previous postings quoted the setup for pressing at about $3000 and if
I remember correctly, $5 a disk for pressing.  All that Fred would have to do is
get 500 or more preorders for the disk and he
could charge $25 a disk to cover all costs.  Each run after the initial
would require about 200 disks per batch to keep the costs down.  I think
that we could find many more than 500 people to buy such a disk.

On the content:

I would vote for everything...after all even if the Fish collection does
overflow one disk, I think I could find room for a second disk.  Better
than another 10 floppies.  Also, I would hope that all .ARC, .ZOO, .LZH
and other compressed files would be extracted/expanded for use right off the CD
where possible.  I would also like to see most programs being able to run right
from the disk where possible.

On the frequency:

If a cost of $25 is reasonable, I think there would be enough standing orders to
put out a new CD every ten Floppies worth.  However, if Fred
gets flooded with submissions, I would hope he would wait until the flood was
cleared up.  I've noticed him put out 30 floppies in a month or so.
Robert M. Gerber		  UUCP:	...!decwrl!oldjon.enet!gerber
				  INET:	gerber@oldjon.enet.dec.com

Any opinions represented here are definetly not those of my employer.
Come to think of it, they may not be mine either!

josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) (08/09/90)

nice idea, a cd with all amigalibdisks! ok, let's collect and buy a
cd drive for fred ;-) (and me and all others). i think that a cd drive
is very expensive at this time (please correct me if i'm wrong) and no
one buys a cd drive to read the new collection of all amigalibdisks!

cu josef

--
<  Josef Egloff            |         USENET:  josef@augs.ccs.imp.com   >
<  Pfaffnernweg 19         |         PATH:    impch!accsys!augs!josef  >

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (08/09/90)

In article <1962@engage.enet.dec.com> gerber@oldjon.enet.dec.com writes:
>On Cost of a Fish CD:
>
>One of the previous postings quoted the setup for pressing at about $3000 and if
>I remember correctly, $5 a disk for pressing.  All that Fred would have to do is

As my wife is involved with a CD-ROM publisher, I can fairly confidently say that
it only costs about $2,000 to master a CD-ROM (maybe a little less), and that
production runs $1 to $2 per disk.

>get 500 or more preorders for the disk and he
>could charge $25 a disk to cover all costs.  Each run after the initial
>would require about 200 disks per batch to keep the costs down.  I think
>that we could find many more than 500 people to buy such a disk.

The hangup is not so much mastering, but stuffing (documentation), packing,
and shipping hundreds of these (I know I won't do it for free) and the
fact that NO ONE I know of has a CD-ROM player for an Amiga (well, except
Joanne Dow, but you expect her to have one of everything).

I think $25 would be fair as a minimum price. If CD-ROM drives were to
suddenly become available for the Amiga I might even be willing to do
the production and distribution myself for that amount :-).

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

In <josef.10132@augs.ccs.imp.com>, josef@augs.ccs.imp.com (Josef Egloff) writes:
>nice idea, a cd with all amigalibdisks! ok, let's collect and buy a
>cd drive for fred ;-) (and me and all others). i think that a cd drive
>is very expensive at this time (please correct me if i'm wrong) and no
>one buys a cd drive to read the new collection of all amigalibdisks!

Well, it's a sure bet nobody buys a CD-ROM drive to _write_ CD-ROMs.

I would buy a CD-ROM drive if an indexed Fish disk collection were available.
No question.

-larry

--

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>I would buy a CD-ROM drive if an indexed Fish disk collection were available.
>No question.

As would I, if it were available at $500 for the drive and $25 for the
collection disk; that's just too good a price for all that software and
those demos to bypass.  I think a new release every ten FF disks is a
bit much, though, probably every 50 would do?

I suspect that there would still be _lots_ of work to do to make this
CD-ROM be really useful "as is", since right now there is lots of stuff
that 1) expects to see some particular disk name from which to access its
auxiliary files or 2) expects to write on the disk from which it is run,
and 3) other stuff I haven't thought of.  Of course, just copying from
the CD-ROM onto a disk with the proper name would work OK, but a lot of
the convenience is lost.

Nobody (that I've seen, I joined this thread 15 or so articles back) has
mentioned one of the major advantages: CD-ROMs, with a little care, are
nearly immortal, as opposed to floppies, which die a lot quicker than the
40 hours spinning on a single track their specs suggest they should endure.

By the way, before we all put these big workloads on Fred, who has a job
to work at and a life to lead besides collecting stuff onto disks for us,
has anybody asked him if he's willing/able/interested?  This isn't the
first "wouldn't it be great if Fred would just ..." thread that has run on
this long in this newsgroup without his concurrance this year.

I'd like to see CBM task this job to someone, and a similar one to gather
_all_ the Badge Killer Demo _entries_ (not just winners) onto a CD-ROM,
and put each out as a promo for the Amiga (not just for the CDTV toy), at
a "collected freeware" price, so we could all be showing our friends all
this neat stuff the Amiga does so they'd run right out and buy their own
Amiga 3000s.

[Great sales idea, CBM.  IS ANYBODY LISTENING?  Why do we keep having to
 ask that?  There should be somebody from Commodore sales mining the net
 for sales ideas as a full time job, we shouldn't have to bully them into
 noticing this kind of stuff.  Where else do you get this much free and
 willing assistance?  There should be someone from CBM management doing
 the same, to keep track of what CBM is (perceived to be) doing wrong, and
 follow up on it back at the shop to make things better, from the lousy
 support in Australia to the documentation bloopers right here at home
 to the incredible number of trashed harddrive reports that indicate the
 file system still needs either a lot of work or a world class self
 repair utility running constantly in the background.]

{Finally made a BADGE meeting, didn't introduce myself to anyone, but I
 had to sign a release to SLAC for being on their property and hand it to
 Mike Meyers, so I may have blown my cover anyway.}

Kent, the man from xanth.

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug17.091116.20242@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>[Great sales idea, CBM.  IS ANYBODY LISTENING?  Why do we keep having to
> ask that?  There should be somebody from Commodore sales mining the net
> for sales ideas as a full time job, we shouldn't have to bully them into

First, let me assure you the folks at C= notice what goes across the net.
They can't (and shouldn't) jump every time somebody says "frog" but they
do keep an ear out for good ideas.  Having the entire Fish Disk library
on CD-ROM is a good idea.  Having it come from Commodore is not.  You see,
if a company releases a disk with their logo on it, no amount of explaining
is going to satisfy the new user who just bought the thing and is trying
to make it work.  Things like "that hasn't worked since 1.1" and "it doesn't
free all its resources but it is a good example of mumblephrump so that's
why it's there" won't cut it in the consumer market.  This one will be
extremely popular: "We know it crashes your system but it simply has to
be there for historical reasons."  Unfortunately, too much of the stuff on
the Fish Disk require such disclaimers.  You and I are more understanding
because we have written our share of bugs over the years, but to put
them on a CD with the red and blue chicken-head may be just short of wise.
I can't imagine how you could put enough disclaimers on the package.

All this considered, there are several, even many selections on the Fish
Disks which are worth including on a Commodore-endorsed CD.  There are also
several items the distribution of which is restricted to the FF library--
it isn't at all clear if they could be included in a CD from some source
other than Our Man Fish.

I would like to see the Fish Disks on CD, but the reputation of C= is
only as good as it's products, and some of the library contents would
cause problems in that area if C= were to produce such a CD.
_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet, @unc.bitnet    _buy_ them.
   |  || utoddl@next1.mscre.unc.edu
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

janhen@sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug17.141507.12721@uncecs.edu> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
[about buggy programs on the Fish disks]
>I can't imagine how you could put enough disclaimers on the package.

I think that is just a problem for lawsuit-happy Americans. A few
simple words like 'this may or may not work for you' should suffice.
Everybody who uses a computer can be expected to be able to read.
Unfortunately, many people just don't do it, but that is their problem.

-Olaf Seibert

janhen@sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) writes:

>In article <1990Aug17.141507.12721@uncecs.edu> utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
>[about buggy programs on the Fish disks]
>>I can't imagine how you could put enough disclaimers on the package.

>I think that is just a problem for lawsuit-happy Americans. A few
>simple words like 'this may or may not work for you' should suffice.

The problem is not lawsuits, I doubt that anyone would spend the money and
effort to sue because some Freeware program did not work. The problem is
one of image. A lot of buggy programs put out officially by CBM is just inviting
comments by CBM detractors who will point at the disk and say "See, CBM is not
a *real* computer company, they can't even put out software that works"

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,