[comp.sys.amiga] 3000 autobooting a 1096N

Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) (08/09/90)

Alright I would like someone at CBM (Dave Haynie this is probably
right up your alley).

I recently purchased my 3000 about 2 weeks ago.  At that time my
dealer (and boss) allowed change the Quantum 40S for a Seagate 1096N
hard drive (80 megs compared to 40 on the Quantum).  Well everything
goes fine util I power down an turn on my system....No autoboot!!
Seems my little newly born 3000 does not like to wait till the hard
drive has initialized.

What I want to know is can/will this be fixed soon??  I talked to some
person in Customer Support (Yes I called all the way to CBM in the
U.S. from Canada) and she tells me to sell/tradein my brand new 1096N
hard drive!!!!!  Now I ask what kinda answer is that?  Seagate is one
of the largest manufactuers (if not the largest) of hard disk drives
and I am told that I should sell my HD and get another one?  I want
this fixed!!

Next why does Commodore insist on such a tight timing for boot
devices?  From what I understand vertually every SCSI controller
manufactuer will allow you to boot any HD you want, why does CBM not
allow this?

Someone from CBM tell me how to get my 1096N working fully with my
3000 or at least tell me that you are working to fix the problem.  If
you can't tell me how to get 3000 to autoboot my Seagate 1096N
properly or that you will not/can't fix it please tell me why.

A 99% happy 3000/25mhz owner!

Randy

--
Randy Coghill - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Randy.Coghill

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/11/90)

Well, this autoboot/SeaGate problem has been addressed before, and I own
a couple of Seagates, so here's the problem:

- Seagates take about 14 days to boot from a cold boot.  The A2091
controller doesn't wait long enough, so from a cold boot it won't work.
You say autobooting doesn't work, but I bet it does from a warm boot,
right?

- The A2091 ROMS have a function for this (nicknamed Seagate Wait or
something like that).  On an A590, there's a DIP-switch on the back to
enable it, but currently no way to activate it on the 3000.  I have
the switch, but don't use it because it takes too damn long on warm
boots.  I just CTRL-A-A about 5 secs after I turn on my machine.  Since
the only time it's really critical for you (with the BBS) would be
from a power failure, I don't know what you'd want to do, but for me,
I just live with it.

Sorry, no solutions, just an explanation.  Didn't mean to get your
hopes up!

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!David.Plummer

Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) (08/12/90)

Dave what I would like is to find out if Commodore is going to fix the
problem (as far as I know there scsi routines are the only ones that
have this timing problem).  While they do put these nice and fairly
expensive Quantums drives in the systems it is almost irrisponsible
(sp) for them to ignore the fact that some users would go with
different brands to suit there needs (for the same price as a Quantum
40 I got the Seagate 1096N which gives me double the storage capacity).

The point is that Commodore seems to ignore most things and so
entirely as they please and the customer is not supposed to say
anything and live with it....Well I want a working product with the
hardware I have in my system.

Randy

--
Randy Coghill - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Randy.Coghill
Domain: Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Standard Disclaimers Apply...

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/13/90)

Well, I don't know if there is a fix coming... if it were, it would have
to be in hardware (or somehow in the new KickStart ROM I guess).  You
might be able to patch a solder bridge somewhere on the hard drive
controler, but I'm sure not going to recommend that!

The point is, there is a facility in place to overcome the problem, you
just can't activate it with the A3000.  But why should you be able to?
After all, the 3000s come with hard drives, and they work fine.  They
can't compensate for what you might do!  If you were to add the Seagate
external (as I did) then you would have a problem.

Like I said though, the wait time for Seagate drives is soooo long that
I don't enable it, even though I can.  Seagate, if anyone, should be
taking the heat for making a drive that takes 30 seconds to spool up.
On my machine at work, I have a 330 meg micropolis that weighs at least
ten times what the Seagates do, and it spins up faster.  I guess if
you try direct mail to someone they might give you a better answer.

But WAIT!  I have an idea!  Try configuring you 1096 as logical unit
6 or 7.  Since the drives are searched in sequence, that might dealy
(delay) it enough to catch it.  I have my externals as units 0,1 and 6,
and occaisionally it finds drive 6 on bootup.  Your machine being
faster though, it might not work.  Other than that, I can't think og
anything.

--

In <1990Aug13.225301.23877@uncecs.edu>, urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>Mr. Beats
>Can Seagate 1096N drives be used successfully for booting, by computers
>from other companies? If so how do they handle the problem that the
>C= DOS 2.0 software on the Amiga is unable to cope with?

Hmm... in the posting you are replying to, Mr. Beats told you that the Amiga
_can_ handle it, and told you how.

-larry

--
Sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (08/13/90)

In article <754.26C4F281@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) writes:
>Alright I would like someone at CBM (Dave Haynie this is probably
>right up your alley).
>
>I recently purchased my 3000 about 2 weeks ago.  At that time my
>dealer (and boss) allowed change the Quantum 40S for a Seagate 1096N
>hard drive (80 megs compared to 40 on the Quantum).  Well everything
>goes fine util I power down an turn on my system....No autoboot!!
>Seems my little newly born 3000 does not like to wait till the hard
>drive has initialized.

The problem IS with the Seagate drives.  Seagate don`t have any ROMs on
their drives so the firmware has to be loaded in from disk.  While this
is happening, the drive does not respond to SCSI selections at all.  Most
other drives will at least respond and return a not-ready status.  This
is acceptable, since the A3000 SCSI driver will wait until the drive is
ready.  As far as the A3000 is concerned, a drive that does not respond
to selection is not even plugged in!

However, there is hope on the horizon.  The A3000 SCSI driver is based
on the same one that was used for the 2091.  The 2091 had some jumpers
that alter the behaviour of various SCSI options.  One of these options
is the time spent waiting for drives to power up.  Since the A3000 has
no SCSI jumpers, we used bits in the non-volatile RAM of the clock
instead.  Unfortunately, an editor has not yet been written for twiddling
these bits.  If you feel like doing a bit of programming, take a look at
resources/battmembits.[h|i] which should clue you in enough.

	Steve

urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (08/14/90)

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug13.225301.23877@uncecs.edu> urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:

>Mr. Beats
>Can Seagate 1096N drives be used successfully for booting, by computers
>from other companies? If so how do they handle the problem that the
>C= DOS 2.0 software on the Amiga is unable to cope with?
Yes, other computers can boot from a Seagate 1096N but they`ll take forever
to do it.  Also, you won`t find it anywhere near as easy to configure the
drive for booting as it is under 2.0.  No other computer that I know of has
the flexibility of HD installation provided under 2.0.  The SCSI driver on
the 2091/A590/A3000 is designed to make nearly ALL drives plug-n-play.  When
you support so many different SCSI drives (with all their attendant wrinkles
in SCSI implementation) a few are going to be sub-optimal.

If you read my posting properly you will notice that DOS 2.0 CAN cope with
booting from a 1096N, it just needs the preferences editor to twiddle the
appropriate bits to set Seagate mode on.

To re-iterate: if a drive does not respond to selection then it`s as if
that drive is not even connected to the SCSI bus!  If the drive is not
connected it can`t be booted from.  There is a very real limit to the amount
of time a driver can spend dead-looping waiting for a possibly non-existant
drive to spin up.  If I made the driver wait >30seconds on every boot cycle
I`d have MANY more complaints from owners of other drives about the long
boot time.  `fraid I can`t make everyone happy all the time!

	Steve

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (08/14/90)

In article <760.26C795C2@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (
Randy Coghill) writes:
>Dave what I would like is to find out if Commodore is going to fix the
>problem (as far as I know there scsi routines are the only ones that
>have this timing problem).

There's no problem with the A3000 and A2091.  The problem is entirely in
Seagate drives.  The SCSI standard (SCSI-2 at least) specifies a maximum
time from poweron to when a device should respond to selection. Why
should Commodore (or anyone else) hack their firmware to work with
brain-damaged nonstadard devices?  That way we wouldn't ever get any
standard-conforming SCSI devices.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

In article <754.26C4F281@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) writes:
>Alright I would like someone at CBM (Dave Haynie this is probably
>right up your alley).

I thought I was the expert on the expansion bus, but, oh well...

>What I want to know is can/will this be fixed soon??

According to the software folks, there's a special "Seagate bit" in the A3000's
backed up RAM that makes the SCSI device wait the appropriate undue amount of
time so that you can boot from Seagate drives.  That's about all I know about
it; someone else will have to supply a preferences editor or whatever to set
this.  I suppose a real clever version of HDPrefs would notice that that the
drive you're installing is one of these sloppy ones and set that bit by
default.

>I talked to some person in Customer Support (Yes I called all the way to CBM
>in the U.S. from Canada) and she tells me to sell/tradein my brand new 1096N
>hard drive!!!!!  Now I ask what kinda answer is that?  Seagate is one of the
>largest manufactuers (if not the largest) of hard disk drives and I am told
>that I should sell my HD and get another one?  I want this fixed!!

Well, Ford is one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the country, yet
I always advise folks who own them to sell them and get some kind of real car.

But seriously, the problem IS with the drive, not with the computer.  All kinds
of autoboot SCSI controllers out there either won't boot with these or have
some kind of slowdown trick, often via a jumper on the controller, to add
delays.  Or they penalize folks with Wrens and Quantums by waiting no matter
what kind of drive is out there.

>Next why does Commodore insist on such a tight timing for boot
>devices?  From what I understand vertually every SCSI controller
>manufactuer will allow you to boot any HD you want, why does CBM not
>allow this?

Like I said, every SCSI controller has to solve the same problem, one way or
another.  I think we do it the right way, but I would say that, since I have
Quantum drives in all my machines...

>Randy Coghill - via FidoNet node 1:140/22

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (08/15/90)

Well...I'd take their advice and get rid of the SeaGate...and good ridance to
bad trash...

We'll NEVER, EVER reccomend a Seagate harddrive at our shop.

For one thing, we've had nothing but problems with their crappy QC...and
secondly, their one year warranty starts the minute it leaves their warehouse.
So, all the time that your HD spent sitting at the distributors, or on a
dealer's shelf, it was eating up its warranty.

Stick with Quantum products...they should be releasing their 435Mb drive for
$1500 soon.

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (JUDD STEPHEN L) (08/15/90)

In article <13796@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Well, Ford is one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the country, yet
>I always advise folks who own them to sell them and get some kind of real car.
                                                                      ^^^^^^^^
Aack!
Real Car: 1969 Cougar, >200,000 miles, no major engine repairs, no major
interior repairs, original MUFFLER, original owner.  All this through some of
the worst weather known to mankind.  And it still kicks butt!

Real car, indeed!
;-)
(You will note, of course, that it is for all practical purposes a Ford)

A REAL car goes UP a hill as fast as it goes DOWN a hill.
A REAL car doesn't produce a whiny, nasal sound as it tries to get up to speed.
And a REAL car has more than four cylinders.

(I mean, hey, if you can set REAL computer standards, I can set REAL car
standards! ;^)

Flame ho, cap'n, Flame ho!  (<-- Cleverly stolen from Zerg manual)

					-Steve

judd@sgt-york.lanl.gov        //                "Look out, Race!"
                            \X/                         -Johnny Quest

P.S. By the way - (I guess I'll have to say it...) "Multimedia" (bleah) is a
     relatively New Thing here at the Lab.  The Amiga would be a very big deal
     if you could get it some exposure over here.  (Ridiculous statement over-
     heard the other day: "The Mac is supposed to be the best machine for
     Multimedia...")

>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
(Yay!!!)

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.225301.23877@uncecs.edu> urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:

>Mr. Beats
>Can Seagate 1096N drives be used successfully for booting, by computers
>from other companies? If so how do they handle the problem that the
>C= DOS 2.0 software on the Amiga is unable to cope with?

If you re-read Mr. Beats message, you will see that there is, in fact,
support for slow booting drives.  It is just that it isn't the __DEFAULT__
setting is all.  After all, the Quantum shipped with the machine is more
than plenty quick enough to bootup ok.  Its just a matter of getting an
editor (or more likely) a hack that bangs the control flag to tell the 3000
to twiddle its thumbs to a brain dead drive can boot.

Moral of the story:  Don't pull out the 'ol flame thrower and turn the gas
(propane?) up to max unless you are really sure you are about to create
some seriously black toast for a very good reason.  :-)'s included for the
humor impaired...

-=> CAW

/////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
                          Christopher A. Wichura

               caw@miroc.chi.il.us      (my amiga)
               u12401@uicvm.uic.edu     (my school account)

Please! Do not send mail to my school account unless mail to miroc bounces.
    I often do not check uicvm.uic.edu for periods in excess of a week.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/15/90)

In article <760.26C795C2@weyr.FIDONET.ORG>,

>While they do put these nice and fairly
>expensive Quantums drives in the systems it is almost irresponsible
>(sp) for them to ignore the fact that some users would go with
>different brands to suit there needs (for the same price as a Quantum
>40 I got the Seagate 1096N which gives me double the storage capacity).

If you must use the word "expensive" to describe Quantum drives,
it is irresponsible of you to not also include the word "quality."

>The point is that Commodore seems to ignore most things and do
>entirely as they please and the customer is not supposed to say
>anything and live with it.

Be honest.  You're complaining because you replaced the high-quality
hard drive Commodore supplied you, with a slower, less reliable HD
and now you complain that, in trying to supply reliable equipment,
"Commodore is just doing entirely as it pleases?"

One question should be addressed immediately however:  Does the
3000 manual list your Seagate 1097N (or whatever) as a recommended
or supported drive in the 3000?  If so, you have a complaint.  If
not, please refrain from blaming Commodore.

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

fsset@bach.lerc.nasa.gov (Scott E. Townsend) (08/15/90)

In article <760.26C795C2@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) writes:
>Dave what I would like is to find out if Commodore is going to fix the
>problem (as far as I know there scsi routines are the only ones that
>have this timing problem).  While they do put these nice and fairly
>expensive Quantums drives in the systems it is almost irrisponsible
>(sp) for them to ignore the fact that some users would go with
>different brands to suit there needs (for the same price as a Quantum
>40 I got the Seagate 1096N which gives me double the storage capacity).
>
>The point is that Commodore seems to ignore most things and so
>entirely as they please and the customer is not supposed to say
>anything and live with it....Well I want a working product with the
>hardware I have in my system.
>
>Randy
>

>--
>Randy Coghill - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
>UUCP: ...!alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Randy.Coghill
>Domain: Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>Standard Disclaimers Apply...

Seems to me that Commodore has to support their own products, but not
necessarily every possible thing you might connect to them.  (This is not
intended as a flame against Randy)  The fact that some third-party drives
may not work with Commodore's supplied controller/driver combination is the
responsibility of the person who sold you the set-up.  They shouldn't sell
something that doesn't work.  If the drives are that much of a better deal,
they should either be sold with a driver that could use Commodore's
hardware or as a complete combination.

Now I'm not unsympathetic to the problem.  I have some ancient Iomega
Alpha-10 drives that don't even support the "common" command set.  If
someone sold me a system with these drives, they had better supply a driver
(hardware probably isn't required)  Since I bought these drives "raw"
a LONG time ago, it's my problem to get them to work.  I would hope
Commodore would supply some means of talking 'raw" SCSI so I can develop
an Iomega-specific driver, and thankfully they do -- SCSIDirect.

Just another crazy opinion...

Scott Townsend               |   Phone: 216-433-8101
NASA Lewis Research Center   |   Mail Stop: 5-11
Cleveland, Ohio  44135       |   Email: fsset@bach.lerc.nasa.gov

In article <24742@boulder.Colorado.EDU> you write:
>In article <13796@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>Well, Ford is one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the country, yet
>>I always advise folks who own them to sell them and get some kind of real car.
>                                                                      ^^^^^^^^
>Aack!
>Real Car: 1969 Cougar, >200,000 miles, no major engine repairs, no major
>interior repairs, original MUFFLER, original owner.  All this through some of
>the worst weather known to mankind.  And it still kicks butt!

>Real car, indeed!
>;-)
>(You will note, of course, that it is for all practical purposes a Ford)

Does it start very often?

I'm certainly a veteran of Ford ownership.  Aside from living through several
owned by my parents in the 60s and early 70s, I had two: a 1961 T-Bird and a
1982 Mercury LN-7 (virtually the same thing as a Ford EXP).  The T-Bird was,
uh, unusual to drive.  Heavy as a tank, but that 300HP could get it moving, as
long as they movement tended to be in a straight line.  There was an anomoly
in the steering that made right turns difficult -- you hit a point where the
wheels would just jump about 5-10 degrees to the right of where you intended
them to be.  Fun stuff, indeed.  The worst thing was, under about 40 degrees F,
or in any rainy weather, the car was nearly impossible to start.  I usually
resorted to starting spray in cold weather, since the battery had enough juice
for about four good cranks.  A brand new battery, mind you.

The LN-7 was worse.  It did like to start, either.  And I used to have to have
the carb cleaned every 3-6 months to keep it going at all.  Then there was the
time, one Christmas day, when this little plastic timing belt broke and did a
number on the engine.  Or that time when the right front _wheel_ just about
fell off on my way home from work.  At least the repair shops liked this car.

These cars really are for the masses, just like PClones or Commodore C64s.
Folks with more discriminating tastes wouldn't own either, unless somehow
forced to (financially, etc.)

>					-Steve

>(Ridiculous statement overheard the other day: "The Mac is supposed to be the
> best machine for Multimedia...")

That's a relatively easy assumption to make, if you read the press.  Most
people tend to believe that the mainstream press, whether speaking on
computers, economics, or politics, is both [a] well informed, and [b] honest.
It's a rare find to read an author who actually fits both of these categories
in any dicipline.

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

steve@iphase.UUCP (Steve Kappes PER) (08/16/90)

>There's no problem with the A3000 and A2091.  The problem is entirely in
>Seagate drives.  The SCSI standard (SCSI-2 at least) specifies a maximum
>time from poweron to when a device should respond to selection. Why
>	Markku Kolkka
>	mk59200@tut.fi

Actually the SCSI-2 spec recommends a time of 10 seconds.  The time is
a recommendation, not a requirement.  I don't remember even a recommendation
in SCSI-1 which I believe both the host adapter and drive in question are.

Steve Kappes  Interphase Corp.  uunet!iphase!steve

rps2@amoeba2.UUCP (Rick Stevens) (08/20/90)

In article <760.26C795C2@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) writes:
>Dave what I would like is to find out if Commodore is going to fix the
>problem (as far as I know there scsi routines are the only ones that
>have this timing problem).  While they do put these nice and fairly
>expensive Quantums drives in the systems it is almost irrisponsible
>(sp) for them to ignore the fact that some users would go with
>different brands to suit there needs (for the same price as a Quantum
>40 I got the Seagate 1096N which gives me double the storage capacity).
>
>The point is that Commodore seems to ignore most things and so
>entirely as they please and the customer is not supposed to say
>anything and live with it....Well I want a working product with the
>hardware I have in my system.
>
>Randy

First off, it's not a Commodore glitch, it's Seagate's.  Seagate drives
do not fully conform to the SCSI specification.  If they did, the drives
would show up as "not ready" on the bus after the specified bus delay
time, and the 3000 would wait for them to go ready.

The problem is that the Seagate drives don't show up on the bus AT ALL
(meaning that, as far as the computer is concerned, they don't exist)
until they load their firmware images from the drive platters themselves,
which means that the drive has to spin up before the drives even show up as
"not ready".  CBM's SCSI routines go out and scan the bus.  They see no
drives, hence no autoboot.

Now, CBM could put in a delay to wait longer before querying the bus, but
that gets around a third-party manufacturer's problem.  Sure, it'd be
nice, but it's not necessary.

This is not meant to flame anyone, CBM, Seagate, or Randy.  It is just
to point out what the problem actually is.

          Rick Stevens, Small Scale Systems of Southern California
  sysop@xyclone.uucp | rps2@amoeba2.uucp | CIS: 75006,1355 | BIX: smallscale
  "I'm tellin' ya, Valiant!  Da whole ting stinks like yesterday's diapers!"
                                            - Baby Herman

steve@iphase.UUCP (Steve Kappes PER) (08/22/90)

In article <rps2.1510@amoeba2.UUCP> rps2@amoeba2.UUCP (Rick Stevens) writes:
>In article <760.26C795C2@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Randy.Coghill@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Coghill) writes:
>>Dave what I would like is to find out if Commodore is going to fix the
>>problem (as far as I know there scsi routines are the only ones that

>First off, it's not a Commodore glitch, it's Seagate's.  Seagate drives
>do not fully conform to the SCSI specification.  If they did, the drives
>would show up as "not ready" on the bus after the specified bus delay
>time, and the 3000 would wait for them to go ready.
>          Rick Stevens, Small Scale Systems of Southern California

The Seagates are not in violation of the spec.  The spec recommends a
time of 10 seconds but devices are not required to respond to selection
in that time.  This problem is just one of those SCSI things system
people have to watch out for.  For instance, what synchronous transfer
speed does the 3000 negotiate with a wren V, VI, or VII?

Steve Kappes   Interphase Corp.  !uunet!iphase!steve

sjo@cci632.UUCP (Steve Owens) (08/24/90)

In article <229@iphase.UUCP>, steve@iphase.UUCP (Steve Kappes PER) writes:
> >There's no problem with the A3000 and A2091.  The problem is entirely in
> >Seagate drives.  The SCSI standard (SCSI-2 at least) specifies a maximum
> >time from poweron to when a device should respond to selection. Why
> >	Markku Kolkka
> >	mk59200@tut.fi
>
> Actually the SCSI-2 spec recommends a time of 10 seconds.  The time is
> a recommendation, not a requirement.  I don't remember even a recommendation
> in SCSI-1 which I believe both the host adapter and drive in question are.

	Excuse me if I'm being ignorant, but.....

	I don't understand what the big deal is.  Why not simply use a
	DIP switch set or jumper set to allow the customization by the
	user?  Do it by powers of two, with the base being two seconds,
	in order to allow any power-up time required by the drive.
	If required, it could be done for each HD in the subsystem, or it
	can be done for the worst case drive in the entire system.

	And before someone jumps down my throat saying "That's the
	drive manufacturer's problem," why not do it on both ends?  This
	would allow the user total flexibility to configure his system
	the way he wants it.  Obviously there must be industry-wide
	recommendations for the default settings, but at least it would
	be easy to change.

> Steve Kappes  Interphase Corp.  uunet!iphase!steve

						SJO