[comp.sys.amiga] IT WORKS

a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) (08/23/90)

thyssen@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Thyssen) writes:
> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
> >The spiders and crabs programs recently posted to comp.sources.amiga cause
> >a solid lockup followed by a guru when rebooting.  Here is the guru number
> >and information I could gather on it:
> >DH0(40MB):> guru 82011234
> >    Alert Type: DEADEND
> >  Generated by: Graphics Library
> > General Cause: Insufficient memory
> >Specific Cause: Emergency memory not available
>
>    The Crabs program was written (by me) on a 1meg machine, I posted it
> to the network so others can take a look, Please note, I live in australia
> and as such am using PAL machines. I wonder if this could be the cause.

Yes, this is the cause.  You made an assumption on the screen size when
positioning the window "crabs" or "spiders" opens when started.  This is the
source of the guru that Usenetters with _non-interlaced_ Workbench screens have
encountered.  I tracked this down when a217@mindlink.uucp (Vincent Lim) said it
worked on his system (we have similar hardware set-ups) and I recalled he
prefers an interlaced screen.

The easiest solution for users w/NTSC machines is to switch to interlace.

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (08/25/90)

In article <2917@mindlink.UUCP> a665@mindlink.UUCP (Anthon Pang) writes:
>thyssen@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Thyssen) writes:
>> scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) writes:
>> >The spiders and crabs programs recently posted to comp.sources.amiga cause
>> >a solid lockup followed by a guru when rebooting.  Here is the guru number
>>
>> and as such am using PAL machines. I wonder if this could be the cause.
>
>Yes, this is the cause.  You made an assumption on the screen size when
>positioning the window "crabs" or "spiders" opens when started.  This is the
>
>The easiest solution for users w/NTSC machines is to switch to interlace.

Ah ha!  I have been happily spider and crabbing all along, so couldn't
figure out why other people with NTSC machines, 68030's, 2091's, curly
hair, etc., had so many problems...

Having the (very neat) MegaWB program also increases the vertical height
of the Amiga screen...which allows crabs & spiders to run fine.  Plus
you get that neat "virtual screen" as well.

dylan