[comp.sys.amiga] New version of VLT?

crazyrat@disk.UUCP (@jap) (08/16/90)

In article <27419@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) writes:

>    2.1  I  am  using the newest version of VLT (4.824).  In the doc
> 	that  come  with  it, we can see that there is a field name

Where is this new version??  I'm using VLT (4.069) right now.  Could someone
tell me how much better this new version is than the one I have, and if possible
could some poor unfortunate soul please send it to me?  I have never heard
of any new version, and I love VLT.

I don't have access to ftp, so i'll probably have to get it through the mail.

Thanks to all who respond,
@jap

--
Joel C. Justen      Crazyrat Productions Ltd.
disc:  who cares?   CRAZYRAT@DISK.UUCP

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/22/90)

In article <3922@disk.UUCP> crazyrat@disk.UUCP (@jap) writes:
:In article <27419@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) writes:
:>
:>
:
:Where is this new version??  I'm using VLT (4.069) right now.  Could someone
:tell me how much better this new version is than the one I have, and if possible
:could some poor unfortunate soul please send it to me?  I have never heard
:of any new version, and I love VLT.

	I got the VLTjr version from PLink, and the archive doesn't include
the XPRXmodem or XPRKermit libraries. The XPRXmodem library is available as a
stand alone archive on PLink, but I haven't seen the Kermit version. Anyone out
there have it? The XENIX system I have here at work doesn't talk anything but
Kermit, and doesn't have a compiler onboard. (Anyone have compiled SZ-RZ and
LHarc for SCO XENIX 386 to send me? :-} )

:I don't have access to ftp, so i'll probably have to get it through the mail.

	Ditto here... Although I have friends who could probably FTP if it's
necessary.

:Thanks to all who respond,
:@jap
:
:--
:Joel C. Justen      Crazyrat Productions Ltd.
:disc:  who cares?   CRAZYRAT@DISK.UUCP

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug21.204947.2040@agora.uucp>, billsey@agora (Bill Seymour) writes:
>In article <3922@disk.UUCP> crazyrat@disk.UUCP (@jap) writes:

both about the new VLT.  I'm assuming it will appear in comp.binaries.amig,
since it can be found for anonymous FTP under the incoming/amiga directory
on abcfd20. Tad?

>	I got the VLTjr version from PLink, and the archive doesn't include
>the XPRXmodem or XPRKermit libraries. The XPRXmodem library is available as a
>stand alone archive on PLink, but I haven't seen the Kermit version.

As the co-author of XPR Kermit (with Marco Papa): it came out on Fish Disk
330. I'd almost swear I'd posted it to PeopleLink.  Look for a file
called XPRKERM1P5.ZOO.  Send mail if it isn't there and I'll upload it
myself.

Steve

stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) (08/23/90)

I downloaded the VLT version 4.824 from abcfd20 in the /incoming/amiga
directory.  I also found the xpr protocols xprkermit15 and xprxmodem3??
in the same directory.  One thing I noticed about the new version is
that there is no menu item to change the directory prior to receiving
a file.  Am I correct that the new version has no way of doing this,
or is there a way to accomplish this?

Also, does anyone else have problems when using GNU emacs with VLT?  Sometimes
when the screen is redrawn, I lose the mode line.  This is not a serious
problem as I can always recover it with C-L, but it is a little
disconcerting.

					Eric G. Stern
					stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (08/24/90)

In article <31054@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, stern@unix (Eric G. Stern) writes:
>One thing I noticed about the new version [of VLT] is
>that there is no menu item to change the directory...

There is, but it moved to a new menu.  Right-Amiga-D still brings up
the change-directory string requester.

>Also, does anyone else have problems when using GNU emacs with VLT?  Sometimes
>when the screen is redrawn, I lose the mode line.

This seems to be new with the latest VLT.  I've been trying to find the
time to look into it, but haven't so far.  If anyone else would care
to try turning on VLT's new "raw capture" file, which puts EVERYTHING
into the output file, you might try it.

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (08/24/90)

In article <31054@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu
(Eric G. Stern) writes:

|                      One thing I noticed about the new version is
|that there is no menu item to change the directory prior to receiving
|a file.  Am I correct that the new version has no way of doing this,
|or is there a way to accomplish this?

     The "Change Directory" menu item is now in the VLT menu.  They
moved it because the transfer protocols are now external, instead of
built in.

                                    Seizure later,
				    --dds

Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM
"Life *is* pain, Highness!  Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."
                                    -- The Dread Pirate Roberts

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (08/24/90)

In article <31054@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) writes:

   >I downloaded the VLT version 4.824 from abcfd20 in the /incoming/amiga
   >directory.  I also found the xpr protocols xprkermit15 and xprxmodem3??

Thanks, I'll check it out.

   >in the same directory.  One thing I noticed about the new version is
   >that there is no menu item to change the directory prior to receiving
   >a file.  Am I correct that the new version has no way of doing this,
   >or is there a way to accomplish this?

Look in first menu, 'VLT'.  "Change Directory" comes under "History Buffer".
And guess what?  It's still bound to Right_Amiga-D!!!

   >Also, does anyone else have problems when using GNU emacs with VLT?

No.  I'm using my own termcap and an old version of GnuEmacs,
version 18.44, something like that.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  NOW!!! rusty@fe2o3.LAUREL.MD.US

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug23.054636.1719@csun.edu> ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
:In article <1990Aug21.204947.2040@agora.uucp>, billsey@agora (Bill Seymour) writes:
:>	I got the VLTjr version from PLink, and the archive doesn't include
:>the XPRXmodem or XPRKermit libraries. The XPRXmodem library is available as a
:>stand alone archive on PLink, but I haven't seen the Kermit version.
:
:As the co-author of XPR Kermit (with Marco Papa): it came out on Fish Disk
:330. I'd almost swear I'd posted it to PeopleLink.  Look for a file
:called XPRKERM1P5.ZOO.  Send mail if it isn't there and I'll upload it
:myself.

	I just did  a search on kermit and it didn't show up... I'll look
again and make sure. Someone was kind enough to E-Mail the latest version
of each of the XPR libraries, so I'm all set. (My E-Mail is bouncing again,
so I haven't been able to tell everyone who wrote, thanks!) Along with it,
was the new VLT itself also, so I'll try and post each archive on PLink
this weekend...

:Steve

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
(503) 281-8153    (503) 246-9311   (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/25/90)

In article <31054@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) writes:
:
:I downloaded the VLT version 4.824 from abcfd20 in the /incoming/amiga
:directory.  I also found the xpr protocols xprkermit15 and xprxmodem3??
:in the same directory.  One thing I noticed about the new version is
:that there is no menu item to change the directory prior to receiving
:a file.  Am I correct that the new version has no way of doing this,
:or is there a way to accomplish this?

	The change directory function is now over in the VLT menu, all the
way over on the left...

:					Eric G. Stern
:					stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

--

marc@CAM.ORG (Marc Boucher) (08/25/90)

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) writes:

>In article <31054@unix.cis.pitt.edu> stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu
>(Eric G. Stern) writes:
>|
>|                      One thing I noticed about the new version is
>|that there is no menu item to change the directory prior to receiving
>|a file.  Am I correct that the new version has no way of doing this,
>|or is there a way to accomplish this?
>|

>     The "Change Directory" menu item is now in the VLT menu.  They
>moved it because the transfer protocols are now external, instead of
>built in.

Nope. I advised Willy Langeveld during beta testing to move it to the VLT menu
because the function changes the current directory of the vlt process, a
parameter that affects more than just the receive directory for file transfers.

an excerpt from the vlt beta logfile:

:From 4.717 to 4.763:
:--------------------
:
:....
:- The Change Directory menu item was moved from the Transfer menu
:  to the VLT menu: it changes the programs default directory globally,
:  not just the default for downloads.
:....

>                                    Seizure later,
>				    --dds

>Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM
>"Life *is* pain, Highness!  Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."
>                                    -- The Dread Pirate Roberts

Marc.

--
marc@CAM.ORG % BIX: mboucher % Voice: (514) 466-8932 & 489-8989 % Fax: 489-0242