[comp.sys.amiga] I need info on Montgomery Grant please.

hurd@atreus.bnr.ca (Scott Hurd) (08/11/90)

Greetings:

	 I am posting this for a friend who is about to purchase a new
Amiga 3000.  His current plan is to get the machine from Montgomery
Grant, a mail-order place in the US.

     I recall seeing many postings about peoples' nightmares about
dealingwith suspect mail-order houses.  I mentioned this to my
friend, and told him I'd ask the net for advice.  (I apologise for not
keeping the postings, but they didn't apply to me at the time.  I am
a happy owner of an Amiga 2000, purchased from a dealer.)

	 Can someone (or many of you) give me the 'low down' on
Montgomery Grant?  What are the 'good' mail order places?  Which ones
should my friend avoid?

	 Please respond via EMAIL to the address below.

	 Cheers,
	 Scott.

--
Scott W. Hurd,
Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada.

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (08/11/90)

You must have been reading my mind about wanting to know about Montgomery
Grant and Amiga mail order places in general.  I just upgraded to an
Amiga 500 from my 128.  When I had it, I had favorable dealings with
Computer Direct and Software Support International, so I'll likely stay
with SSI for software purchases.  But hardware is another matter.  I'm
looking at getting a hard drive with additional RAM for my A500, and
an ad for the Supra 500XP caught my eye.  The 40 Meg version of this
drive (Quantum, 19 ms, I believe) costs $569 US at MG.  They say that
there is a 2 Meg expansion board available for the drive in the ad,
but denied this on the phone?  I did see other ads for the drive AND
the RAM, but much more expensive than MG.

Any info on mail order houses or the Supra 500XP would be greatly
appreciated.

       Daryl Turner
         <umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

mkiteam@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (E.Japel) (08/11/90)

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) writes:

>with SSI for software purchases.  But hardware is another matter.  I'm
>looking at getting a hard drive with additional RAM for my A500, and
>an ad for the Supra 500XP caught my eye.  The 40 Meg version of this
>drive (Quantum, 19 ms, I believe) costs $569 US at MG.  They say that
>there is a 2 Meg expansion board available for the drive in the ad,
>but denied this on the phone?  I did see other ads for the drive AND
>the RAM, but much more expensive than MG.
>
>Any info on mail order houses or the Supra 500XP would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>       Daryl Turner
>         <umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

The mail order company I use is Computability, based in Wisconson.
I recently purchased a Trumpcard 500 w/40 meg Quantum drive and an
external powersupply for $654.  Ordered it at 6:00pm on a Monday, (credit card
call) and received it by UPS on Wednesday.  They have an 800 number for orders
and another for info.  The Trumpcard 500 has an internal slot for their own
memory expansion card, up to 4 meg.  They run regular adds in most of the
Amiga magazines and list phone numbers there.

(disclaimer - I don't work for or have any relatives who work for this
company, I only order from them)

Ed Japel

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug11.062205.9424@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) writes:
>You must have been reading my mind about wanting to know about Montgomery
>Grant and Amiga mail order places in general.

	I have not ordered from Montgomery Grant, but I have been reading
comp.sys.amiga for over 4.5 years.  I have read so many horror stories about
MG that I would never consider ordering from them.
	Here are my observations on a number of mailorder houses, based on
my long-time reading of c.s.a., and the placement of many orders during
that time.

	The consensus, as I have seen it, is to AVOID both Montgomery Grant
and M.C.S. (Micro Computer Services).

	The mailorder house that has received the most praise in this
newsgroup is Safe Harbor Software.

	Other places that have received *mostly* praise, but also the
occasional complaint, are Go Amigo, Briwall, Computability (some Canadians
complained), and Computer Mart.

	People are split 50/50 over Abel Supply Co., whose prices are almost
always far cheaper than the other stores.  The consensus seems to be that
Abel is good for IN-STOCK SOFTWARE only.  If it's hardware, or if it's out
of stock, don't order it.

	I am a happy customer of Abel Supply, Go Amigo, and Computer Mart.
My good experiences with Abel outweight the bad by about 10 to 1.

>...costs $569 US at MG.  They say that there is a 2 Meg expansion board
>available for the drive in the ad, but denied this on the phone?

	Little inconsistencies like this should give you a hint of what
might come if you order from MG.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/13/90)

The official low-down, at least from Commodore, is that they will not
honor ANY warranties on Mail-ordered Amigas.  This INCLUDES ComputAbility,
according to a recent (June) memorandum, and of course, applies also to
Montgomery Grant.  Besides, Montgomery Grant is not an authorized Commodore
dealer.  If your friend purchases his A3000 from Montgomery Grant, he will
have NO warranty whatsoever on the unit.

Montgomery Grant also has the _worst_ reputation of any dealer I have
ever heard of.  They routinely repackage returned and defective units
and ship them out again as "new" equipment.  They hassle you if you have
a complaint.  They delay orders, "lose" returns, and essentially give
mail-order a bad name.

'Nuff said?

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

stevek@welch.jhu.edu (Steve Kelley) (08/13/90)

In article <90224.190820JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
1)
>The official low-down, at least from Commodore, is that they will not
>honor ANY warranties on Mail-ordered Amigas. NO warranty whatsoever
>on the unit.
2)

>Montgomery Grant also has the _worst_ reputation of any dealer I have
>ever heard of.  They routinely repackage returned and defective units
>and ship them out again as "new" equipment.  They hassle you if you have
>a complaint.  They delay orders, "lose" returns, and essentially give
>mail-order a bad name.

I *hate* to do this *BUT*...

	FLAME ON

	1) CBM has *repeatedly* said they would honor *ALL* warrantys.
	Call their cust. supp. to check.

	2) This might be construed as SLANDER. *Please* cite specific
	cases.

	flame off

Now my EXPERIENCE w/ MG. I bought an A2500 from them last year. My
plastic was a bit threadbare so I used a friend's card. So, they
(of course) called her the same day. *THEN* they called her bank
and called her again 2-3 times leaving messages at home and her
work. They really pushed to sell their $300 "warranty", too... It
then took 10+ days to deliver UPS - if I wanted 2nd Day Air it would
be 3% (of $3200) more. They charge 3% shipping *ALREADY*.

I heard of the "reconditioned machine rumors" (they *probably* are a
grey market opperation) after the fact but i recieved an unopened
CBM box w/ a perfectly working 2500 inside. CBM assured me *at that
time* that they honor all warrantys on it.

Reccomendation: Unless you like hassles *AVOID* MG. This is definately
a CAVEAT EMPTOR type place. The extra couple of $100 saved is not
worth it. Other MOs (Briwall, Computability, GO Amigo, etc) are much
easier to deal with. I recently got an A3000 at ed. disc. via a local
dealer which is *THE* way to go if you're a university type.
they would honor *all* warrantys.

usenet@darkstar.ucsc.edu (Usenet News Account) (08/13/90)

burned if you deal with them. Of all the mail order houses they are the
absolute worst!!!.
From: terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts)

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug13.142514.5719@welch.jhu.edu>, stevek@welch.jhu.edu (Steve
Kelley) says:

>In article <90224.190820JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT)      :
>writes
>>The official low-down, at least from Commodore, is that they will not
>>honor ANY warranties on Mail-ordered Amigas. NO warranty whatsoever
>>on the unit.
>
>        1) CBM has *repeatedly* said they would honor *ALL* warrantys.
>        Call their cust. supp. to check.

I am Customer Support.  If you want verification, call my supervisor,
Dave Minnich at Commodore.  (215) 431-9100.  The warranty information I
listed in my post came directly from him.  It is a *recent* memorandum,
as I stated in my post.

The info about Mongomery Grant was partially unfounded, and I apologize.
What I said could, however, be best described ad "common" knowledge
Throughout Cust. Supp.

                                                           Kurt

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (08/15/90)

In article <6076@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.UUCP (Dan Barrett) writes:
>	The consensus, as I have seen it, is to AVOID both Montgomery Grant
>and M.C.S. (Micro Computer Services).

I wish I had seen something about MCS before now.  Today I celebrated my three
week anniversary of my order, which has not arrived.  When I ordered the
product, I was told it was in stock (in fact, the salesperson recommended this
particular product over the one I was intending to order.  I had been 50/50
between the two products, so I went with his recommendation) and that it would
arrive in 7-10 days.  A week later I was called and told that the product was
to be SHIPPED that day.  When I asked why it hadn't already been shipped, I
got silence, then "It'll be there Friday."  Anyway, today I called, and was
told that it hadn't been shipped YET.  After chewing on the person (the
same one who I ordered from and who called me the next week) about their
business practices, I cancelled the order (to his protest  --  he didn't
want to do it!  After all, they expected new shipments of the product that
had apparently been out of stock of sometime this week! Grr!).  Luckily,
I had ordered COD, so I'm not out any money or anything.

Half an hour later I ordered the product from BriWall.  These people seemed
alot more professional, and were able to give me alot of technical info on
it.  (Actually, after a second call, they cut me a deal on a lower price!)
Also, BriWalls shipping seems to be much better priced.  The same product I
would have paid $13 shipping on at MCS for UPS ground will cost me $8
shipping for UPS 2nd Day Air from BriWall!  My recommendation has to be
for this company.  I would at least give them a call, since my periodic
checks of their prices have shown them to be lower than advertised.

The other mail order house I have dealt with for Amiga products is 7-Day
Software (which I have heard is out of business -- no surprise).  These
guys took two weeks to ship me an A501 compatible that I ordered and sent
UPS 2nd day air!  Again, I was TOLD that it was in stock when I ordered.
It seems that this company's name does not apply to their hardware! :-)

>	The mailorder house that has received the most praise in this
>newsgroup is Safe Harbor Software.
>
>	Other places that have received *mostly* praise, but also the
>occasional complaint, are Go Amigo, Briwall, Computability (some Canadians
>complained), and Computer Mart.
>
>	People are split 50/50 over Abel Supply Co., whose prices are almost
>always far cheaper than the other stores.  The consensus seems to be that
>Abel is good for IN-STOCK SOFTWARE only.  If it's hardware, or if it's out
>of stock, don't order it.
>
>	I am a happy customer of Abel Supply, Go Amigo, and Computer Mart.
>My good experiences with Abel outweight the bad by about 10 to 1.
>
>                                                        Dan
>
> //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
>| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
>| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
> \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

I am an unhappy customer of MCS and 7-Day (HA!) Software.  I am so far a very
happy customer of BriWall.  We'll see how this turns out on Friday, when the
product is supposed to arrive....

greg...

        _ _  Disclaimer:  "What I _really_ meant was..."
AMIGA! ////
      ////   "Run to the bedroom, in the suitcase on the left you'll find my
_ _  //// favorite axe." --Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's The Wall, One of My Turns
\\\\////
 \\XX//           Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

hychejw@ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) (08/21/90)

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:

>Half an hour later I ordered the product from BriWall.  These people seemed
>alot more professional, and were able to give me alot of technical info on
>it.  (Actually, after a second call, they cut me a deal on a lower price!)
>Also, BriWalls shipping seems to be much better priced.  The same product I
>would have paid $13 shipping on at MCS for UPS ground will cost me $8
>shipping for UPS 2nd Day Air from BriWall!  My recommendation has to be
>for this company.  I would at least give them a call, since my periodic
>checks of their prices have shown them to be lower than advertised.

	I got my 2nd Amiga from BriWall after my first one was trashed
in a house fire.  The sales person I talked to treated me very
professionly and was very knowlagable in the products he was selling.
The told me what the had in stock (90% of my order) and what they
didn't.  They shipped it on time and the rest of my order came in two
days latter.  And they even cut me a deal for ordering a package.  It's
nice to see them still around. (and thier adds are gettin slick too)
					Jeff

rea@AntHill.UUCP (Robert E. Anderson) (08/24/90)

Just for those who are counting pluses for Bri-Wall (NOT MG), I too
would give them a big thumbs up.  I ordered ROM chips for a friends
SIMM & SCSI expansion on a A1000.  Nothing but helpfull people who
knew what they sold (That's very unusual).

By the way if you haven't picked up on my spelling yours must be as
bad.  Does anybody have a good spelling checker that has a nice
front end to AmigaDOS with an mind reading option that can be turned
on to curtail the mistakes.  This is (for the most part) a serious
question.  Does anybody have a good (usable) system to quickly check
spellings from an online dictionary, hopefully with a great guesse
Algrthm.

Robert E. Anderson                    From the Ant Hill
Research Computing Center             unhd.unh.edu!AntHill!rea
Durham NH 03824                       Amiga 2000 UUCP / Dillon
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine." - Pink Ployd

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (08/25/90)

Another thumbs up for Briwall.  I bought some memory from them.  I quoted them
a price on RAM, and they came back with a lower price.  Not "we can match
that," or "$1 under," but a lower price.  Shipped it jiffy quick too.
or $1 under, but less
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and