[comp.sys.amiga] SUPRA - ick!

jon@sun.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) (08/07/90)

I bought a Supra Modem 2400 last year and am very happy with it.
My friend bought one this year and it has a lot of new features that
would be nice to have, so I called up Supra about a ROM upgrade.
They told me it'd be $40 to send me the new ROM!
Considering the modem can be bought for about $110 these days, I can't
see the validity of this price.
Is this indeed a sound marketing decision that just happens to bother me,
or is it just an attempt to take advantage of users who like keeping
up-to-date with their equipment?

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       | jon@sun.acs.udel.edu | "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch | \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (08/08/90)

Jon, could you tell us what NEW features have been added to the Supra
modems? And I do tend to agree with you, $40 does seem a bit high.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (08/08/90)

A rom update is the only difference?  I wonder if the friend in question
purchased the Supra 2400 Plus, which includes MNP 5 and V.42.  I hope
that mnp5-v.42 involves more than just a rom change, else
Supra will find people breaking out their eprom programmers and five
bucks for an eprom and burn their own.  This is currently the trend
on the HST - the 2.5 version of v.42 is illegally available on pirate
boards.  (Seem silly to me since USR is offering the upgrade free
pretty liberally.)

Ack, my rather new (six months) 1084D monitor just made a nice spark
inside.
--
John  M.  Adams    --**--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (08/08/90)

In article <13233@sun.udel.edu>, jon@sun.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) writes:
> I bought a Supra Modem 2400 last year and am very happy with it.
> My friend bought one this year and it has a lot of new features that
> would be nice to have, so I called up Supra about a ROM upgrade.
> They told me it'd be $40 to send me the new ROM!
> Considering the modem can be bought for about $110 these days, I can't
> see the validity of this price.
> Is this indeed a sound marketing decision that just happens to bother me,
> or is it just an attempt to take advantage of users who like keeping
> up-to-date with their equipment?
>
>        X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
>        |  |   |\       | jon@sun.acs.udel.edu | "For my 2 cents,  |
>        | \|on |/eutsch | \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | I'd pay a dollar" |
>        X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

When I ordered my hard disk from Supra a few years ago, they cashed the cheque,
and didn't send it. I wrote to them asking what happened to the drive,
and they replied that they never recieved the money. It was a bank cheque,
so I started bank proceedings to have the money returned, and they suddenly
"found" the money and shipped the drive with some bits missing. I finally
recieved all the parts (software was the slowest to arrive) 14 months after
the orriginal order.

When I heard about the upgrade to the disk interface for $100 they advertised,
I very foolishly sent a negotiable cheque for the $100. You guessed it. It
has "not arrived" but has been cashed in their town of their state. And
you guessed it, they refuse to ship the new interface.

Either the company is full of crooks or the company IS crook. I would not
touch anything from Supra with a barge pole. It may be possible to deal with
them through a dealer, but why bother?

Regards Alan

rwm@atronx.UUCP (Russell McOrmond) (08/13/90)

In a message posted on 7 Aug 90 14:49:22 GMT,
jon@sun.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) wrote:
JRD>They told me it'd be $40 to send me the new ROM!

Personally, I think that that is probably mostly just Administrative costs - Yes,
it's a Set of ROMS, but it is not the cost of Silicon that is being payed for,
and the original cost of the item that the ROMS are going into do not seem
relevant.

 My two cents ....if it's worth that ;-)

JRD>       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
JRD>       |  |   |\       | jon@sun.acs.udel.edu | "For my 2 cents,  |
JRD>       | \|on |/eutsch | \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | I'd pay a dollar" |
JRD>       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own.  My Employer does not even
know what these networks ARE.

  Russell McOrmond   rwm@atronx.UUCP   {fts1,alzabo}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109

treesh@darwin.helios.nd.edu (08/25/90)

I have the Supra 2400 modem, it does not support MNP, but other then that slightflaw, it runs very good.  Im quite happy with it, its small, reliable, and runs cool.

I would be intrested in getting the MNP, does anyone know if this is possible?

ctfm

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (08/26/90)

- I would be intrested in getting the MNP, does anyone know if this
- is possible?

I called Supra about a month ago to ask about upgrading to a Supra
2400 Plus (the one with MNP) and they said they'd have one waiting,
but didn't know what the upgrade price would be.  They said the
modems would be released in October.