[comp.sys.amiga] MRBackup has problems with PowerPacked files

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (08/26/90)

In article <12518@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

> I had a recent backup from MRBackup (Thank goodness!) and I
> just copied the new files to floppy by hand.  MRBackup won't run if it can't
> write to the disk, I guess.  That was version 3.x or maybe 2.4, ....

I recently had to restore my files to my hard disk with MRBackup
v4.0b, and discovered a real problem with MRBackup.  Namely, when I
originally backed up my files to floppies with MRBackup v4.0b, that
tool apparently failed to properly backup large program files that had
previously been compressed with PowerPacker.  For each such file,
MRBackup's compression algorithm generated a file exactly 16,384 bytes
long (very suspicious!).  When I attempted to restore these files to
my hard disk, all were uncompressed by MRBackup into corrupted versions.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem with this or any other
version of MRBackup?
--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")