[comp.sys.amiga] what about links?

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (08/14/90)

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>There are lots of other improvements in 2.0 that run considerably
>deeper than Workbench.  As a quick and incomplete list:

Not on the list: links!  Did this make it into 2.0?  Are they soft links
or hard links?  How are they used?

--
Jim Wright
jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (08/14/90)

In article <jwright.650618284@quonset> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>>There are lots of other improvements in 2.0 that run considerably
>>deeper than Workbench.  As a quick and incomplete list:
>
>Not on the list: links!  Did this make it into 2.0?  Are they soft links
>or hard links?  How are they used?

Of course, it wasn't an exhaustive list.  I can't type that much.
See the 2.0 DOS command "makelink".  (I'm not the link expert.)

>Jim Wright

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

cgrant@ac.dal.ca (08/15/90)

In article <jwright.650618284@quonset>, jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>>There are lots of other improvements in 2.0 that run considerably
>>deeper than Workbench.  As a quick and incomplete list:
>
> Not on the list: links!  Did this make it into 2.0?  Are they soft links
> or hard links?  How are they used?

They are there.  I was skimming through the owner's manual at Kobetek (local
dealer) and came across a command unfamiliar to me.  "Makelink"  I didn't have
time to play with it but it says both hard ad softlinks are supported.

> --
> Jim Wright
> jwright@quonset.cfht.hawaii.edu
> Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope Corp.

						Colin DeWolfe
						cgrant@ac.dal.ca
						dewolfe@iris1.ucis.dal.ca
						cgrant@ac.dal.ca

P.S.  I was in there placing an order.  Wanna guess what it was?

aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (08/18/90)

In article <jwright.650618284@quonset>, jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
> Not on the list: links!  Did this make it into 2.0?  Are they soft links
> or hard links?  How are they used?

Hard links: Yes (Appears to soak up a disk block per link)
Soft links: No. Nein. Nyet. (The manual gives HARD/SOFT options, MAKELINK ?
	does not.  And they are hard links.  MAKELINK does not work across
	partitions.)

Alexander Elkins

dick@woodwrk.LoneStar.ORG (Richard H. Wood) (08/23/90)

>In article <31110005@hpfinote.HP.COM> aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) writes:
>In article <jwright.650618284@quonset>, jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>> Not on the list: links!  Did this make it into 2.0?  Are they soft links
>> or hard links?  How are they used?
>
>Hard links: Yes (Appears to soak up a disk block per link)
>Soft links: No. Nein. Nyet. (The manual gives HARD/SOFT options, MAKELINK ?
>	does not.  And they are hard links.  MAKELINK does not work across
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>	partitions.)
        ^^^^^^^^^^

How very sad.  That makes it rather useless, doesn't it?---for multiple
drive installations, like mine, that is.  :-(

Any chance of soft links making it in, say, release 2.1?

--
Richard H. Wood                                  dick@woodwrk.LoneStar.ORG
246 Bancroft Drive East                            uunet!digi!woodwrk!dick

In <jwright.651636609@catfish>, jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>dick@woodwrk.LoneStar.ORG (Richard H. Wood) writes:
>|aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) writes:
>|>Hard links: Yes (Appears to soak up a disk block per link)
>|>Soft links: No. Nein. Nyet. (The manual gives HARD/SOFT options, MAKELINK ?
>|>	does not.  And they are hard links.  MAKELINK does not work across
>|>	partitions.)
>|How very sad.  That makes it rather useless, doesn't it?---for multiple
>|drive installations, like mine, that is.  :-(
>|Any chance of soft links making it in, say, release 2.1?

They are slated to go in, but have not, as yet, made it. I would not call hard
links 'useless', since I do use them, and put them to good use. I have a C2:
directory that I include in my path, and within it, I make hard links to my 1.3
commands that work.

>All the other replies I recieved on this query indicated that both hard
>and soft links are supported.  This came from both users and insiders.
>Just what I was told, I'm still at 1.3...

Sorry, not yet.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (08/26/90)