[comp.sys.amiga] Raaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (08/18/90)

I don't believe it.  Listen what happened to me today.  This morning I (or
better the Amiga) succeeded in destroying my not 1/2 year old Imprimis
Swift 170 megs harddisk.  Yes.  Destroyed.

After another crash while writing to the hd, I had the usual error created
by the braindamaged AmigaDOS - key blabla not set, error validating disk.
After that I tried to do what I always did when this happened (which it did
a lot, since the 3000 crashes about as often as the very first 1000 with
the buggy ram expansion did - you can't work seriously one hour without a
crash):  re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I
had read errors on the drive.  Formatting stopped just saying that an error
occured.  So I low-level-formatted the drive and tried again - no success.
I tried a Verfiy Data on disk, which resulted in several bad blocks (that
were not there before) and finally a message saying Hardware Error 18.

I can hardly stay calm and not start to flame around what I think of a
computer system that is so #*g?*% that it can ruin a harddisk.  And no,
there were no vibrations that could have caused a head crash, the system is
rock-steady on my desk - and the drive never ever showed the slightest sign
of a problem before.

Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

rick@rsami.spoami.com (Rick Schaeffer) (08/18/90)

>In article <03896.AA03896@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>
>After another crash while writing to the hd, I had the usual error created
>by the braindamaged AmigaDOS - key blabla not set, error validating disk.
>After that I tried to do what I always did when this happened (which it did
>a lot, since the 3000 crashes about as often as the very first 1000 with
>the buggy ram expansion did - you can't work seriously one hour without a
>crash):  re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I
>had read errors on the drive.  Formatting stopped just saying that an error
>occured.  So I low-level-formatted the drive and tried again - no success.
>I tried a Verfiy Data on disk, which resulted in several bad blocks (that
>were not there before) and finally a message saying Hardware Error 18.
>

>Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?

Sure, I do!  I've had an Amiga 3000 running 24 hours a day (under DOS 2.0,
too) since I got it in early July with nary a crash that I didn't cause
myself.  Was the Imprimis mounted internally or externally?  Is it the
only drive in the system or are there other drives in there?  The biggest
problem I had was getting 2 internal & 1 external drives working together
and the problem turned out to be the "Reselection" problem I've written
about before.  Be SURE that you have set "Supports Reselection" to "NO"
on all your drives.  The symptoms I had until I changed this switch were
very similar to what you describe.
--
Rick Schaeffer          UUCP:  uunet!isc-br.isc-br.com!ricks
ISC-Bunker Ramo                ricks@isc-br.isc-br.com

joseph@valnet (Joseph Hillenburg) (08/19/90)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

> I don't believe it.  Listen what happened to me today.  This morning I (or
> better the Amiga) succeeded in destroying my not 1/2 year old Imprimis
> Swift 170 megs harddisk.  Yes.  Destroyed.
>
> After another crash while writing to the hd, I had the usual error created
> by the braindamaged AmigaDOS - key blabla not set, error validating disk.
> After that I tried to do what I always did when this happened (which it did
> a lot, since the 3000 crashes about as often as the very first 1000 with
> the buggy ram expansion did - you can't work seriously one hour without a
> crash):  re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I
> had read errors on the drive.  Formatting stopped just saying that an error
> occured.  So I low-level-formatted the drive and tried again - no success.
> I tried a Verfiy Data on disk, which resulted in several bad blocks (that
> were not there before) and finally a message saying Hardware Error 18.
>
> I can hardly stay calm and not start to flame around what I think of a
> computer system that is so #*g?*% that it can ruin a harddisk.  And no,
> there were no vibrations that could have caused a head crash, the system is
> rock-steady on my desk - and the drive never ever showed the slightest sign
> of a problem before.
>
> Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?
>

> --
> ------------------------------------
> Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
> "Justice is the possession and doing
> of what one is entitled to" - Platon
> ------------------------------------

Yes...is there anything wrong with that?

* -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm) * "Those are't bugs!"               *
* Addresses:                         * "Just undesirable features!"-Me   *
*      INET: joseph@valnet.uucp      *************************************
*      UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph * Call CompSci BBS * 1-812-873-440  *
*      MAIL: 1709 West Gray          *     3/12/24      *9:30pm-7:30amEST*
*      MAIL: Bloomington, Indiana    *************************************
*      MAIL: 47401 United States     *    Amiga is king, and you can't   *
*       Mail replies requested       *       tell me any different!      *

rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) (08/20/90)

In article <03896.AA03896@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>Swift 170 megs harddisk.  Yes.  Destroyed.

	You have my empathy that your disk went bad.

>the buggy ram expansion did - you can't work seriously one hour without a
>crash):  re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I

	This just is not normal.  I've had an assortment of machines, with
	drives from several different manufacturers, that I use for
	professional development (ie it is "serious work").  I have never
	had the sorts of filesystem trouble you describe and in fact the
	other people in the company have never had such problems.

>I can hardly stay calm and not start to flame around what I think of a
>computer system that is so #*g?*% that it can ruin a harddisk.  And no,
>there were no vibrations that could have caused a head crash, the system is
>rock-steady on my desk - and the drive never ever showed the slightest sign
>of a problem before.

	I would suggest that rather than getting on Usenet and venting, you
	call up whoever sold you the drive, controller, etc and work with
	them to resolve the problem.  Hard disk drives do fail on occasion,
	and perhaps you were sold a bad unit.  Check your software, consider
	that either the disk controller, machine or power supply might be
	marginal or bad.  If you find that the problem still eludes you,
	some peer review (from local user group, dealer, etc) might be
	useful - perhaps that can help you find the problem.

>Chris Brand

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar

graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) (08/20/90)

In article <03896.AA03896@sosaria.imp.com>, wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes...

>I can hardly stay calm and not start to flame around what I think of a
>computer system that is so #*g?*% that it can ruin a harddisk.  And no,
>there were no vibrations that could have caused a head crash, the system is
>rock-steady on my desk - and the drive never ever showed the slightest sign
>
>Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?

What makes you so sure it was the Amiga that killed the hd?  In fact, tell me
how this is possible.  All the Amiga can do (to my knowledge) is that the heads
can be moved across the media, with accompanying read or write operations.

Unless the heads are physically touching, the media CANNOT be destroyed by your
computer.

I suppose that somehow, the interface itself could be damaged by improper
handshaking, but again, this is pretty unlikely.

The fact that your HD never showed any signs of problems before means little.

So, IMHO, it is more likely that your hd DID in fact DIE a nasty death of its
own accord.

-> ->Disclaimer: I'm not ashamed of what I say. <- <-
     Sorry for the long disclaimer.
| Internet: graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu                  |
| UUCP:     dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             |
| BBS:      The PORTAL DOLMEN, (812) 334-0418, 24hrs.      |
|__________________________________________________________|

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (08/20/90)

I develop on the Amiga 3000, work on it for about 5-8 hours a day.
I have been doing so since June.  I have had about 3 Gurus total
in that time.

I use 1.3.2 and never use 2.0 though.

-Roger
P.S. I can explain all of my gurus as well, I have not had an unexplained
GURU for many months, since before I got the 3000

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (08/20/90)

In article <03896.AA03896@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
          [...description of Imprimis hd crash deleted...]
>crash):  re-format the drive.  But this time, something was different - I
>had read errors on the drive.  Formatting stopped just saying that an error
>occured.  So I low-level-formatted the drive and tried again - no success.
>I tried a Verfiy Data on disk, which resulted in several bad blocks (that
>were not there before) and finally a message saying Hardware Error 18.
                                 [...]
Chris, if your drive suffered a head crash there should be an audible sound
when it is running.  If your head touches the disk surface then all kinds of
gunk is thrown up into the disk environment and your drive will not last long
like that (even if you could get it running again - you need to get the
insides cleaned up).  But if that is your failure then you can get your drive
rebuilt at a hard drive reconditioning shop for less than it would cost you to
replace it (they will clean the insides and remove scratches in your heads,
and replace the platters if necessary).

Before you assume your drive is ruined try formatting it on a different
controller on a different system.  There are many unknowns in your setup.
You might even have a virus.  Don't assume the worst until you don't have
any other choice.

Good luck,
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (08/21/90)

Yes...I'm the proud owner of the first privately owned Amiga 3000-25/50 in
Corpus Christi, and it's nothing BUT a professional machine.

Even though my system was badly treated (it looked as if a forklift had been
stuck through the box), I have had ZERO problems with mine.

If you're having problems with yours, take it in and get it looked at...if the
system is flaky (as I gathered from your letter) then you're only ASKING for
more grief, and your random flames are annoying.

Just because I've got a Buick Regal that has a P.O.S. falling headliner, flaky
A/C, and other random problems, doesn't mean that all of GM is crap, or even
that all Buick Regals are crap...I just got a bad machine, and so did
you...but the difference is, yours is still under warranty, so do something
about it.

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

steve@iphase.UUCP (Steve Kappes PER) (08/21/90)

In article <03896.AA03896@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>I don't believe it.  Listen what happened to me today.  This morning I (or
>better the Amiga) succeeded in destroying my not 1/2 year old Imprimis
>Swift 170 megs harddisk.  Yes.  Destroyed.
>
>-- deleted stuff                       --<

I expect this may be heavily jumped but just in case...

A SCSI controller cannot destroy a drive by any normal means.  They
are not like ST-506 controllers which have direct control of inter-record
gaps and headers and such.  They definitely cannot cause a component
failure.  The drivers are open collector so even shorting lines should
cause no damage except for terminator power.  The only part of the
drive the controller touches apparently is still functioning as the drive
was able to return the hardware error code.

Bad power or bad cooling could contribute to such a failure.
I have a feeling that your drive just died.

>------------------------------------
>Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com
>"Justice is the possession and doing
>of what one is entitled to" - Platon
>------------------------------------

Steve Kappes  Interphase Corp.  uunet!iphase!steve

hychejw@ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) (08/21/90)

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:

>Still anybody around calling the Amiga a professional system?

	I do.
	 Nuff' said

hunt@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) (08/26/90)

In article <1990Aug19.174021.11201@ameristar> rick@ameristar (Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>In article <03896.AA03896@sosaria.imp.com> wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) writes:
>>Swift 170 megs harddisk.  Yes.  Destroyed.
>

>>Chris Brand

I've had similar trouble with my Microbotics HardFrame SCSI controller.  My
problem lies in the fact that its DMA controller chip, a Signetics
SCB68430CAN48, runs too hot.  The problem was fixed by placing a heat sink
on it (avail. at places like Radio Shack).  Also, it is crucial that the
cover is on your Amiga 2000 (I assume this is what you have) when it's
turned on for proper air flow.

I hope this helps.

--Lee
"Nothing is more disorginized than Calvinball!" -- Calvin & Hobbes
hunt@spot.colorado.edu   ...!ncar!boulder!spot!hunt