[comp.sys.amiga] Get a FREE game : File trashing on HD

kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates) (08/20/90)

Yes, I've stooped to bribery.  I have five original games and I am willing
to part with any one of them in trade for a solution to my hard disk
problems.  (See the bottom for details.)

This is really starting to get me down.  For over a year now I
have been attempting to get my hard drive working.  Not including the
total lack of documentation on the Mountlist I have run into no end of
trouble.  I find it difficult to blame the hard drive because it has been
checked and re-checked at several different places.  My only alternative
is that some or all of my Commodore equipment is bad or buggy.

Here is the entire saga (gentlemen, please hold your lady's hand if she's at
all squeamish).

My system : Fujitsu 2249SA hard drive, 320M formatted capacity purchased
            from a reputable dealer who have actually given me a lot of
            support.  Set up with two partitions, size 20M (old file
            system) and 300M (Fast file system).
            Amiga 2000 with 4M Supra expansion RAM.
            1 Commodore 1050(?) external floppy drive.
            Commodore 2090A hard drive expansion card.

May, 1989:  I purchase my hard drive from a lead I got off the net.  The
            price is reasonable and other people have indicated that the
            drive is fairly reliable (no horror stories...until now).
June, 1989: My drive arrives.  I go to my local dealer and purchase the
            2090A, since I want an autobooting system.  I get a very thin
            piece of documentation that tells me how to install my drive
            along with the appropriate software.
            Meticulously I follow the instructions and after several tries
            at a Mountlist the drive is up and running.  Alright!
            Now I'm playing with power!
July-August, 1989:
            Joyfully I begin filling up my new hard drive with PD software
            that has been sitting around on floppies, and my various
            purchased programs that are installable.  Around the end of
            August I get the idea to back up my files, "just in case".
September, 1989:
            Disaster strikes.  I get the infamous "error validating disk"
            error.  A trip to the local dealer and some net discussion
            leads me to DiskX, using which I delete the offending file.
            Everything returns to normal.
January, 1990:
            A larger but more subtle disaster strikes.  One day a requester
            pops up that says "Error on DH2:  Bad block".  Wait a minute...
            SCSI drives are supposed to map out bad blocks automatically,
            aren't they?  Something is wrong, so I once again visit my
            local dealer.  He confirms my suspicion and advises deleting
            the offending file.

            Later on that month the same error happens again.  This time
            the big one hits.  I am scanning through some documentation
            files and I suddenly notice that most of them have been
            mysteriously wiped out in the second block of data.  (From
            what I could gather using DiskX the second block being pointed
            to was not valid data, but a block full of 0's.)  Here's an
            even weirder part:  If I ran "MORE" on the file it would show
            up file.  If I ran "Stevie", "less" or "muchmore" on the file
            I would see the trashed version of the file.

            Major panic sets in.  I thank my lucky stars that I have all
            of my files on floppy (well, almost all...but all the important
            ones anyway).  I spend an entire weekend reformatting and
            restoring the files onto the drive.

            After restoring I check the files and something even stranger
            is happening.  I "less" the file once and it appears okay.  I
            read some other files, then "less" it agaiFebruary, 1990:
            I determine that hardware failure has not occurred (at least
            within the disk).  Commodore suggests that the 2090A might be
            at fault so I bring it back to the dealer for testing.  He
            runs it through some tests and indicates that it is fine.

            As if I didn't have enough problems, the drive is damaged in
            transport from the dealers and now has a diagnostic error.
            I ship my disk back to where I bought it for repairs.  At this
            point I am in no hurry and really just want to get the darn
            thing working properly so I can get on with everything.  They
            search around for somewhere to do it and in the end manage to
            get it fixed for $170.  I am satisfied with this since up here
            in Canada I was given estimates in the $600 range.
May, 1990:  My disk returns.  The formatting procedure occurs again, after
            several inquiries about possible problems with the Mountlist
            causing my disk errors I repartition the disk and format again.
            (Thanks to Bill Seymour for some hints on this.) Restoring the
            disk is spread out over a month because I have other work to do
            and at this time am totally frustrated with the thing.
July, 1990: Gradually I gain some confidence in the disk and start to
            rearrange my directories and install some new software that I
            recently bought.  The restore went well and all of my text files
			that were trashed earlier seem to be in good shape.
August, 1990:
			History repeats itself!  The formerly good-looking text files
			are now trashed in exactly the same manner (second block points
			to junk).  I am cautiously now tiptoeing around my drive and
			not touching anything, in case it doesn't like me or something,
			so that I can attack the files in their original corrupt format
			if (and when) I get a solution.

              ===     ===

               \ /   \ /
               -+-   -+-
               / \   / \       --------------------
				   |          /                    \
				   |          |  Not again !!!!!!!  |
				   |          \                    /
				   +--        / -------------------
                             / /
                --===--     /--
               /       \
               \       /
                --===--

So that's my story.  As I said I have become extremely frustrated with this
whole situation and am willing to offer one of my games (LSL, LSL2, Rocket
Ranger, one of the Stargliders and Sex Vixens from Space) to any verifiable
solution to this problem.  Heck, if it solves my problems you can take more
than one... take all five if you want.  The time and effort I've put into
trying to fix this thing more than justifies the sacrifice.  As an added
bonus, if the solution can be stated in a single sentence (like "plug your
drive in"), you can come up here and kick my butt in person for being such
an idiot!  Act now, this is an unlimited time offer!

--
 Kevin Picott   aka   Socrates   aka   kpicott%alias@csri.toronto.edu
 Alias Research Inc.  110 Richmond St. E.  Toronto, Ontario... M5C 1P1

In article <kpicott.651158188@sapporo> kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates) writes:
> ...      I find it difficult to blame the hard drive because it has been
>checked and re-checked at several different places.  My only alternative
>is that some or all of my Commodore equipment is bad or buggy.

You gave a very complete list of all steps taken. But I miss one very
important in these days: Check for virus! Especially the "DASA" virus
is told to write garbage to random sectors on floppies and HDs. Just use
one of your disk monitors and scan your disk for the string DASA.

You tell you have also some games installed to your HD. Games are good
candidates for bad programming. Perhaps one of these doesn't know the
FastFilingSystem and corrupts some vital information? Could you find any
coincidence between using a certain game (or other software) and those
trashed files? (BTW, DPaint III under 2.0 on an A3000 gives you very
corrupt files after saving. Itself can read those files, but no normal
IFF viewer can, and a disk analyzer finds totally corrupt block chaining
pointers in the OFS data blocks on a diskette.)

So, my simple advice is, look also after your software that may harm
your disk.

One last thought: Please check that you have the newest version of FFS,
there were changes during the last years :-) (But I think to remember
that you only could run into real problems with disks bigger than 600 MB,
or am I wrong?)

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/27/90)

From article <kpicott.651158188@sapporo>, by kpicott@alias.UUCP (Socrates):
> Yes, I've stooped to bribery.  I have five original games and I am willing
> to part with any one of them in trade for a solution to my hard disk
> problems.  (See the bottom for details.)

[much explanation deleted]

At this distance I won't enter into the bidding, however I will make a
few suggestions.  Do you know anyone with a 2000 that you could
substitute you controller/drive into?  Someone with another 2091 (was
that the one, I've forgotten) would be even better if they would agree
to swap controllers for a week or two (or a friendly dealer/repair
centre with a shop unit).
Also is there any correlation with software that you use prior to the
failure?  The reason why I ask is that I had a lot of trouble after I
installed the obese agnus.  The first one I installed would clobber
menus, or other areas of the display as menus were manipulated.  This
same IC has performed flawlessly ever since in another 2000, whilst its
replacement _only_ failed when using Professional Page with its heavy
DMA load of 4 bit planes and overscan PAL screen (it kills 2090A's as
well!).  I finally bought a new Denise and the problem hasn't reappeared
for a fortnight.  If you can see my drift here, there might be some
address mashing going on that affects the disk system's idea of what it
is doing.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.