[comp.sys.amiga] Recording Laser Disk Deck?

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (08/25/90)

I seem to recall discussion here not too long ago about a laser disk
deck that records I'm not talking about the Abekas which is a hard drive).
I also saw one being used by the Showmaker people at the World of Amiga
show. I swear in both cases the deck was a Pioneer. But I called Pioneer
and they say they have no such beast. Anyone have any more information.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

mrr@mrsoft.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret) (08/26/90)

>In article <14704@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>I seem to recall discussion here not too long ago about a laser disk
>deck that records I'm not talking about the Abekas which is a hard drive).
>I also saw one being used by the Showmaker people at the World of Amiga
>show. I swear in both cases the deck was a Pioneer. But I called Pioneer
>and they say they have no such beast. Anyone have any more information.

I  believe that Panasonic makes such a beastie which records in both 8" and
12"  formats.   If  memory  serves  me (it often doesn't :-), the price was
around $12,000.  I have literature at the office if you want more info.  As
I  remember  it,  I  called  a New Jersey number for the info (for whatever
that's worth).

# Mark R. Rinfret, MRSoft               Home: 401-846-7639      #
# mrr@mrsoft, galaxia!mrsoft!mrr        Work: 401-849-9930 x301 #

bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) (08/28/90)

Sony has a new recordable laser disk that retails for about $9000.  That is
perhaps what you saw.

Unfortunatly I don't have a lot of hard data about it, yet.

.>Brad Martin<.

Cute tag lines on request.
CS-ID: #21216.amiga/net@pro-grouch, 1050 chars
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 90 18:05:09 PDT
From: schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur)
Subject: Recording Laser Disk Deck?

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (08/28/90)

In article <14704@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>I seem to recall discussion here not too long ago about a laser disk
>deck that records I'm not talking about the Abekas which is a hard drive).
>I also saw one being used by the Showmaker people at the World of Amiga
>show. I swear in both cases the deck was a Pioneer.

That was a Panasonic Optical Memory Disc Recorder.  It's an 8" laserdisc
recorder that Panasonic made a few years ago (2022TC).  The record a little
over 15,000 frames at about 3/4" video quality.  I've been working with
one for several months, and they're great.  There's a guy named
Joel Ratmansky, who has several uses units that he's refurbishing.
He is selling them bundled with software (Animation:Editor for single
frame recording ANIMs, and OMDR_Control for controlling the unit from
the Amiga either directly or through AREXX) for $5,678.  If you're interested
in single framing to optical disc (video, not data), this is your
least expensive option.  The newer units have sound recording abilities,
and some are LaserVision compatable, but they run closer to $20,000.  For
more info on the OMDR, contact:
Joel Ratmansky (Pixel Planet)
814 N. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA  19130
(215)836-4552

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER