[comp.sys.amiga] Basic On a 3000?

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (08/19/90)

At first I found it rather strange that AmigaBASIC wasn't included with the
software that came with my 3000. Not even with the 1.3 software. After trying
numerous times to run different things, it appears to not work at all with
1.3 or 2.0. Under 2.0 if you try to load, save or run ANYTHING in Basic the
machine crashed immediately. Under 1.3 programs will simply not run.

Does this mean that I HAVE to program in C from now on? I don't have a C
compiler package at home and sometimes I found it easier to just do Basic
instead of writing applications at work and downloading them to test it.
Any comments on this?

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (08/19/90)

In article <14617@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>At first I found it rather strange that AmigaBASIC wasn't included with the
>software that came with my 3000. Not even with the 1.3 software. After trying
> . . .
>Does this mean that I HAVE to program in C from now on? ...
> . . .
  The idea seems to be that ARexx is now the standard high level interpreted
language for the Amiga.  In almost every way ARexx is superior to AmigaBASIC,
and it is no more difficult to learn.
  The ARexx language is recursive (a routine may call itself), and a routine
may "compute" its own future code.
  Additionally, ARexx has become the user-level backbone for inter-process
communication on the Amiga.
  Your editor and your terminal program, written independently, can talk to
each other according to your instructions, provided only that each opens an
"ARexx message port" through which it can receive instructions in its internal
command language.  (The freely distributable editor "dme" by Matt Dillon and
the freely distributable terminal program "VLT" by Willy Langeveld are
an example of a pair that can be hooked up this way.)  Additionally, the
instructions that are being tossed back and forth can be "computed" according
to your instructions.

>USENET: schur@isi.edu
>Compuserve: 70731,1102
>Plink: OSS259

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (08/20/90)

>In article <14617@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>Under 2.0 if you try to load, save or run ANYTHING in Basic the
>machine crashed immediately. Under 1.3 programs will simply not run.

   Not 32 bit clean. The A3000 is probably the first Amiga with Ram in 32
bit space, and AmigaBASIC uses the upper 8 bits for other information.
MicroSoft product, BTW. Real dirty programming.

>Does this mean that I HAVE to program in C from now on? I don't have a C
>compiler package at home and sometimes I found it easier to just do Basic
>Any comments on this?

   Check out ARexx. It'll prove to be a real nice language for Text, file
console oriented activity. Much cleaner than BASIC, but of course there's
a new syntax to learn. And there's a whole new world of scripting for other
programs and interprocess communication waiting for you. Written by Bill
Hawes, of ConMan fame. Lean, efficient, stable.

   There's also a very good commercial BASIC available - GFA. Should do
the job (or will be updated to work if not).

                                     -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (08/20/90)

In article <14617@venera.isi.edu>, schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
> At first I found it rather strange that AmigaBASIC wasn't included with the
> software that came with my 3000. Not even with the 1.3 software.

Microsoft blew it with AmigaBASIC.  CBM made every effort to tell programmers
NOT to use the upper byte of address registers for anything, since anything
other than a 68000/68010 uses that byte for addresses (remember that 68000s
only have 24-bit addresses).  Microsoft put stuff in there.  Now, on anything
other than a 3000, it won't hurt too much.  However, on the 3000, the OS
ends up way high in memory.  When you run AmigaBASIC, the wonderous stuff
that Microsoft slapped into the high byte of the address registers will
conflict with the OS bigtime.  1.3 doesn't complain too much, but it's not
reliable at all.  2.0 will die almost immediately.  Sorry.

Understand, this isn't the Amiga's fault, it's Microsoft's.  They chose to
ignore CBM's admonitions, and they got bit.  If you really need BASIC, I'd
suggest getting one of the BASIC compiler systems like TrueBASIC.  They work
pretty much like AmigaBASIC.  In fact, I think one of them is even fully
source code compatible.

[- O] Rick Stevens, Technology Marketing Incorporated
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction."

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (08/20/90)

In article <14617@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>At first I found it rather strange that AmigaBASIC wasn't included with the
>software that came with my 3000. Not even with the 1.3 software. After trying
>numerous times to run different things, it appears to not work at all with
>1.3 or 2.0. Under 2.0 if you try to load, save or run ANYTHING in Basic the
>machine crashed immediately. Under 1.3 programs will simply not run.
>
>Does this mean that I HAVE to program in C from now on? I don't have a C
>compiler package at home and sometimes I found it easier to just do Basic
>instead of writing applications at work and downloading them to test it.
>Any comments on this?

>			     \          /
>			      \   \    /      /
>Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
>				\   \/      /
>USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
>Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
>Plink: OSS259				\/

AmigaBASIC is for the most part incompatible with the 68020/30. When the
first accelerator boards came out for the 2000 this was the case too. I
suggest the following: 1) This is *ONLY* IF you don't mind totally loosing
your previous basic programs (if you do then check into one of the
AMIGABASIC compilers out on the market that works with the 030 (look at
the one from Michtron, I have at least seen this work) 2) CHECK OUT AREXX
that came with your machine. For the most part it's function is similar
to BASIC, and there are some of us out here who think it's better than
basic anyway (and more flexible). It also will give you some great
IPC (InterProcessCommunication) between programs which support it..

As for a fix to AmigaBASIC, who knows?? With the AmigaBASIC compilers
available that work with the 030, many won't care..

Thanks,

*****                                                                    *****
*****                                                                    *****
*****                                                                    *****
***** donb@bushido.uucp                                                  *****
***** My opinions are my own, and no one else's                          *****
***** Standard disclaimer                                                *****
***** Organizational Affiliations:                                       *****

In article <14617@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>At first I found it rather strange that AmigaBASIC wasn't included with the
>software that came with my 3000. Not even with the 1.3 software. After trying
>numerous times to run different things, it appears to not work at all with
>1.3 or 2.0. Under 2.0 if you try to load, save or run ANYTHING in Basic the
>machine crashed immediately. Under 1.3 programs will simply not run.

Yes, the old AmigaBASIC 1.2 has problems on the A3000. There are rumors
that there will come Real Soon Now an update. Until then it will not be
included with the A3000.
To survive the time until then, here a bit of workaround:
1. Use NoFastMem.
2. Start programs ONLY from Workbench. (Prevents you from using dos Execute)
3. IF you MUST use dos Execute and thus MUST call AmigaBASIC from CLI/Shell,
   you are a bit in trouble, because PRINT and INPUT can't operate fully
   with the OutPut Window (no variable values...). If you want to defeat
   this too, then write your own output and input routines (I did) by
   OPENing a CON: window as random access files (LEN=1), one for in, one
   for out. Then you're done. But ok, you better wait for the update,
   I'm very optimistic to see it soon.

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel Shurilla) (08/21/90)

In article <14617@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>At first I found it rather strange that AmigaBASIC wasn't included with the
>software that came with my 3000. Not even with the 1.3 software. After trying
>numerous times to run different things, it appears to not work at all with
>1.3 or 2.0. Under 2.0 if you try to load, save or run ANYTHING in Basic the
>machine crashed immediately. Under 1.3 programs will simply not run.

Has anyone with a 3000 tried any programs compiled with the AC BASIC compiler.
In the absence of a 2.0 compatible BASIC interpreter this would be attractive
to we lowlife BASIC programmers ;-)

dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (08/22/90)

In article <5836@uwm.edu> dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel Shurilla) writes:
:In article <14617@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
:>At first I found it rather strange that AmigaBASIC wasn't included with the
:>software that came with my 3000. Not even with the 1.3 software. After trying
:>numerous times to run different things, it appears to not work at all with
:>1.3 or 2.0. Under 2.0 if you try to load, save or run ANYTHING in Basic the
:>machine crashed immediately. Under 1.3 programs will simply not run.
:>
:Has anyone with a 3000 tried any programs compiled with the AC BASIC compiler.
:In the absence of a 2.0 compatible BASIC interpreter this would be attractive
:to we lowlife BASIC programmers ;-)

	Our program (The Disk Labeler) is compiled AmigaBASIC using AC BASIC.
It works just fine with the 3000 and 2.0. My guess is Absoft did things right.
Now, if we could just get Microsoft on the bandwagon... :-)

:dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

In article <5836@uwm.edu> dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel Shurilla) writes:

>Has anyone with a 3000 tried any programs compiled with the AC BASIC compiler.
>In the absence of a 2.0 compatible BASIC interpreter this would be attractive
>to we lowlife BASIC programmers ;-)

Well, I tried one (1) program on an A3000 and it worked. No sufficient
test, indeed. But enough to say that AC doesn't break immediately...
Must add that this was compiled on an A2000 and loaded from floppy to
the A3000. Did not try to compile it on the A3000.

--

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (08/22/90)

In article <4616@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>If you really need BASIC, I'd
>suggest getting one of the BASIC compiler systems like TrueBASIC.
     Several problems with this:
     TrueBASIC is not a real compiler. It "compiles" to p-code which it then
interprets. Not fast, not pretty.
     TrueBASIC is not at all AmigaBASIC compatible.
     TrueBASIC is extraordinarily slow, except in math operations wherein it
does surprisingly well.
     TrueBASIC will crash on non-68000 based Amiga computer systems. (They
use the one instruction you're not supposed to use...)
     I know this firsthand; I had to buy it for a class. All in all, it was
a total waste of my money.
                                                      - R'ykandar.

--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor: LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction | PLink: Skywise |
| Elfinkind, Unite!  | phoenix@ms.uky.edu  |  phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet  |

ccc@anomaly.sbs.com (Cole Calistra) (08/24/90)

If I remember correctly, CSA has a fix for AmigaBasic to work on the 020 and
030.  From what I remember, Commodore gave them permission to patch AmigaBasic
for their 020 and 030, (I would imagine it would work on all 020's and 030's)
since they were they only one's with 020's out at the time.  Give them
a call and see if they can send you a copy, that is if you are so hard up
for AmigaBasic.

 Cole Calistra                                   UUCP: ...rayssd!anomaly!ccc
 Applied Vision Software                     INTERNET: ccc@anomaly.sbs.com
     "We thought it was a neat idea at the time.", Lt. Col. Oliver North

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (08/27/90)

In article <5836@uwm.edu> dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel Shurilla) writes:

>Has anyone with a 3000 tried any programs compiled with the AC BASIC compiler.
>In the absence of a 2.0 compatible BASIC interpreter this would be attractive
>to we lowlife BASIC programmers ;-)

 I sent a short program to Joe Smith, he said it ran fine on his 3000.
That doesn't prove that the compiler will run on a 3000, but my guess
is that it will.

>dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

Phil Nelson . uunet!pyramid!oliveb!tymix!hobbes!pnelson . Voice:408-922-7508

	War on drug abuse- YES.	War on the Constitution- NO.

rbw@lanl.gov (Bob Walker) (08/27/90)

In article <3760@tymix.UUCP>, pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) writes:
> In article <5836@uwm.edu> dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Daniel Shurilla) writes:
>
> >Has anyone with a 3000 tried any programs compiled with the AC BASIC compiler.
>  I sent a short program to Joe Smith, he said it ran fine on his 3000.
> That doesn't prove that the compiler will run on a 3000, but my guess
> is that it will.
>
> >dannys@csd4.csd.uwm.edu
>
> Phil Nelson . uunet!pyramid!oliveb!tymix!hobbes!pnelson . Voice:408-922-7508

I just compiled the "hello" program using the AC BASIC compiler --

It seems to work just fine on an A2000/A2630.

Bob Walker, T-12, LANL
rbw@lanl.gov

glin@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (George Lin [900116]) (08/28/90)

GFA BASIC is messed up also.  The sound I programmed in a loop won't come out
of the speakers until the program is terminated.  The IFF->BOB program never
came out. And get this:  I CALLED ANTIC SOFTWARE AND THEY SAID GFA BASIC
HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED!!!!!!  I currently in the process of getting my $ back.
:(.

GLin