[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS 2.0

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (06/28/90)

Those of you worrying about your ill-behaved 1.3 software running under 2.0
take heart...have you read the latest issue of BYTE regarding System 7.0 for
the Mac (only in an ALPHA version at this time!)?

It seems that alot of the hype regarding this upgrade was ahead of schedule,
and alot of the promised features won't be included, like virtual-memory, the
only real benefit it promised over AmigaDOS 2.0.  Also, they're already
predicting that alot of the current software will have to be rewritten, and
that this won't be an easy task.  Looks like Amiga developers aren't the only
ones who don't know how to read application specifications, heh-heh :^)

The Mac'll get interapplication communications similar to what we have with
ARexx, although it won't be as usefull considering the MacOS isn't capable of
preemptive multitasking...they also said the new OS was unbearably slow on
anything but a Mac ][, which leaves alot of Plus and SE owners out in the
cold.

This just proves that the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

scherb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Jeff Scherb - CATS) (08/22/90)

There have been several messages lately indicating that there is
some doubt that 2.0 has been officially released.  As of the
date when A3000's first shipped (end of June), release 2.0
was officially released.  It is likely that there will be
bug fixes (no product this complex is ever bug free, as you
all know), but we at Commodore definitely consider 2.0 to
be officially released.  CATS is working with developers to
resolve any remaining compatibility issues which may exist
in 3rd party products.

Jeff Scherb - Commodore Business Machines (215) 431-9184
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!scherb

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) (08/23/90)

2.0 has been released for the A3000, but what is not known is what
software won't run under 2.0roms, for the A2000/A500.  I expect that
most productivity software will be upgraded for 2.0 compatibility and
features.

ROM jumping code, (totally unsupported by CATS for years now) may or
may not work with 2.0 ROMs depending on how compatible their code is
to 1.2/1.3 kickstart ROM.  This may well be the cause of demos and games
failing after the official 2000 2.0 "Enhancer Kit" is available.
Currently people are testing software under a RAM based kickstart, which
is not quite the same thing as ROM.  After the official ROM upgrade
release, feel free to list things which do or don't work correctly under
2.0. But be sure to list version numbers/dates, etc. to be referenced
by others.

Anybody have a version of the RoboCity Demo that runs under 2.0?
It was my favorite demo on the old A1000 demonstrations.

-Ed Berger
eb15@andrew.cmu.edu

joseph@valnet (Joseph Hillenburg) (08/23/90)

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) writes:

> Anybody have a version of the RoboCity Demo that runs under 2.0?
> It was my favorite demo on the old A1000 demonstrations.

Anyone have the RoboCity demo period? I haven't seen it. Is it PD? If so,
can you post it to Xanth and tell me about it? Or mail it to me if its
small enouugh?
> -Ed Berger
> eb15@andrew.cmu.edu

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (08/23/90)

In article <Ba5Bo6w162w@valnet> joseph@valnet (Joseph Hillenburg) writes:
>Anyone have the RoboCity demo period? I haven't seen it. Is it PD?

I have it somewhere.  I don't know that it even runs under 1.2, that's how
long it has been since I ran it.  I can upload it, but it is kind of large.
I'm pretty sure it is PD since it is old and (as far as I remember) without
copyright notices.  I can look through the object code to find out.
		(sounds of Marco grinding teeth in background :-)
Anyway, I'll let you know if I find it.       -- Darren

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---

seh@pmafire.UUCP (Steve Holaday) (08/28/90)

In article <13939@cbmvax.commodore.com> (Jeff Scherb - CATS) writes:

>There have been several messages lately indicating that there is
>some doubt that 2.0 has been officially released.  As of the
>date when A3000's first shipped (end of June), release 2.0
>was officially released.

Is there any word when or if the 2.0 enhancer package will be released
for the rest of us? :-)  I know the orginal press release indicated
sometime in September but I just can't wait.  Is this still a good date
or has it been pushed back?
>--
>Jeff Scherb - Commodore Business Machines (215) 431-9184
>uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!scherb
--
mail:  seh@pmafire.UUCP                 Steve Holaday
  or   !uunet!pmafire!seh        I *HATE* long signature files!