[comp.sys.amiga] PDC

kvitek@pro-sparklin.cts.com (Keith Vitek) (08/05/88)

Does anyone know of any bbs that I can find the latest version on?

= Keith Vitek                      : usenet =  @pro-sparklin              =
= 13309 Scenic Circle              :                                      =
= Corpus Christi, TX 78410         : Home Phone - 512-241-5115            =

gilham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Fred Gilham) (06/08/89)

I read on the net a while back that there was an update to the public
domain C compiler (PDC), more recent than the one on fish disk 110.

I found some source for it on a machine but no executable.  Does
anyone have an executable can mail me, or can anyone point me towards
somewhere I can get it with ftp?  Does this new version compile itself?
Thanks in advance,
-Fred Gilham     gilham@polya.stanford.edu

"Programming is debugging the null program until it does what you
want."

aliu@ohe-sun2.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (10/13/89)

I have a question about PDC (Publicly Distributed C, as the authors want
it called). I got it from a FTP site (a.cs.uihub.edu?) and I think that
answers a previous question. (If that's not the right site, drop me
a letter and I'll look it up for you).

Ok, my question is: I tried to compile a short program, using CCX, just
to test everything out. It seems that the compiler looks for a library
called Amiga.lib, or something like that, which was not in the archives
I got... Any FTP'able place I can get it, or can someone mail it to me
uuencoded?

Thanks!

PS: Why don't people use entire-disk archivers when archiving a program
    that's a full disk, instead of making our life harder with zoo?  -> ;)

JAM160@PSUVM.BITNET (James MacKenzie) (01/11/90)

I FTP'ed the PDC compiler from a.cs.uiuc.edu.  I am having a problem using
"make" to make the amiga.lib file.  I have execute s/start, have set a path to
PDC:bin, and am cd'ed to the lib/src directory.  I type make complete...it
works for a while, and then gives me Error 1- (something about it not being
able to find a file, I believe).  I looked at "makefile" and it seems to want
some files that are in the lib/src directory, but unfortunately, it wants the
.o files, and they are presented in .c and .asm files...I tried assembling the
.asm file...it couldn't find the files supposed to be "included".  Now, I ask,
how in the heck am I supposed to use this thing!!  I can't get amiga.lib, and
it won't even compile:

main()
{
     printf("hello\n");
}

saying that it can't find amiga.lib...

WHAT CAN I DO???

HELP!

----------
James MacKenzie - JAM160@PSUVM/JAM@PSUHCX
::::::::::::::: - Animation fan to the n-th degree!

behage@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl (Han Behage) (01/11/90)

Not that it wil solve your problem, but there's a bug in your program:

>     printf("hello\n");

supposed to be:

      printf("hello, world\n");

according to K&R. :-)

--
Eric Tuerlings                       (Using the account of Han Behage)
Philips I&E AAA / Building BC-60 / 5600 MD Eindhoven / The Netherlands

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (01/12/90)

In article <678@ehvie0.tq.ine.philips.nl> behage@ehvie0.UUCP (Eric Tuerlings) writes:
>Not that it wil solve your problem, but there's a bug in your program:
>>     printf("hello\n");
>supposed to be:
>      printf("hello, world\n");
>according to K&R. :-)
>Eric Tuerlings                       (Using the account of Han Behage)

Actually, wouldn't this be considered a "feature".  It would be smaller and
run faster (albeit, only a tiny bit, but every little nanosecond counts ;-).
And it would still have the same "affect", ie. printing a "greeting".

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

lhummel@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Lionel Hummel) (01/12/90)

In article <90010.210758JAM160@PSUVM.BITNET> JAM160@PSUVM.BITNET (James MacKenzie) writes:
> I FTP'ed the PDC compiler from a.cs.uiuc.edu.  I am having a problem using
> "make" to make the amiga.lib file.  [ ... ] I type make complete...it
> works for a while, and then gives me Error 1- (something about it not being
> able to find a file, I believe). [ ... ]
> Now, I ask, how in the heck am I supposed to use this thing!! [ ... ]

If you do not have the headers that come with commercial compilers and
assemblers or from Commodore, the 'complete' make target on the version

For code that is restricted to the set of library functions provided
with PDC.lib and Math.lib, just type 'make' and you'll end up with an
amiga.lib that will work fine.  That includes "hello, world" and anything
else that is portable C.  If you are still having problems, send me email
and we can work them out.

Also, if anyone else is having problems with PDC, let me know.  Seriously,
I get very little feedback on it and tend to set it on the shelf when other
things get hectic.  The PDC Software Distribution is a fairly massive piece
of work, and unpleasant to manage on an Amiga w/o a hard drive (something I
hope to remedy now that I'm working for real $), so it can sit for quite a
while until I get poked with something that needs to be done with it.
--
                                      < Lionel
-----------

kmh20822@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kevin Hill) (01/15/90)

I just downloaded PDC and encountered the same problem!
I finally figured out that 'make' is looking for a librarian called 'zlib'
instead of the 'Libr' program that was provided. To fix it 'ed' the file
'PDC:lib/src/bindfile'. In there is a line to the effect of

librarian = zlib $L $S

or what everever change 'zlib' to 'libr -a' (leave $L $S intact).
I don't know if the -a is absolutely nessecary, but after wrestling with
broken down MSDOS readers to get PDC zoo files onto AmigaDOS, I just
wasn't in the mood to wrestle with it further...

P.S. Lionel - Why don't you just put Amiga.lib in the zoo files? I don't
   think 64k will make all that mich difference compared to all the sources...

-kevin

d87-khd@sm.luth.se (Karl-Gunnar Hultland) (01/15/90)

In article <1990Jan14.195752.25534@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kmh20822@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kevin Hill) writes:
>P.S. Lionel - Why don't you just put Amiga.lib in the zoo files? I don't
>   think 64k will make all that mich difference compared to all the sources...
>
>-kevin

I think there are some copyright problems with that.

					Karl
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
< Karl 'Kalle' Hultland    <$>                                               >
< Dept. of Comp. sci.      <$> d87-khd@sm.luth.se |                          >
< University of Lulea      <$> {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d87-khd     >
< Sweden                   <$>                                               >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>
<      If two people agree on EVERYTHING , one of them is OBSOLETE!!         >
<$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$><$>

acota@pro-realm.cts.com (Arnold Cota) (08/12/90)

I have heard of a few PD C compilers. Has anyone used any of these. What do
you think of them? How do they compare to the expensive Lattice C?

UUCP: crash!pro-realm!acota
ARPA: crash!pro-realm!acota@nosc.mil
INET: acota@pro-realm.cts.com

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (08/12/90)

>In article <3905@crash.cts.com> acota@pro-realm.cts.com (Arnold Cota) writes:
>I have heard of a few PD C compilers. Has anyone used any of these. What do
>you think of them? How do they compare to the expensive Lattice C?

   I used PDC a bit, V3.30. Worked fine, reasonably fast, with many advanced
features like #pragma libcall, prototypes etc. I recommend that for C starters
who don't want to burn several 100 $$ on a commercial compiler. The code
generated is not nearly as compact as the Manx or Lattice compilers. At the
price (free), it's a bargain, and V3.33 appears to be really solid. Look after
Fish 351 for this compiler.

   Having bought Lattice (and Manx before that), I stick to Lattice for my own
stuff.

   Some people have reported problems installing PDC correctly.

   I found a few bugs, mailed the author, and got fixes for these (source).

                                               -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (08/13/90)

writes:

>I have heard of a few PD C compilers. Has anyone used any of these. What do
>you think of them? How do they compare to the expensive Lattice C?

     So far I know of three freely-distributable C compilers (PDC,
Sozobon-C, and NorthC) and one shareware compiler (DICE).  I've used
PDC for a number of small projects and it worked well; the version I
had at the time wouldn't compile A68k successfully, but Lionel Hummel
has corrected that bug in the latest version.  In the meantime I used
Sozobon-C for A68k development; it also seems to be a good product.
I'll probably try NorthC when I next find time to work on A68k.
Although I have a copy of DICE, I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

     I've found that PDC and Sozobon generate good fast code, although
despite their built-in optimizations it isn't as compact as the result
of either Lattice or Manx.  The current version of A68k compiles to
about 86,000 bytes with Sozobon, and about 50,000 with either Lattice
or Manx, although they all run at just about the same speed.

     Hope this helps.  (tm)

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"I'm cursed with hair from HELL!"  -- Night Court

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (08/22/90)

Could someone send me the address where the latest version of PDC is?

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga      /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (if only Commodore ///  *
*                              *   knew that)   \\\///   *

QUIT

andrew@teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips 289 8712) (08/28/90)

When is PDC going to be posted to c.b.a again?  The last version we
got was 3.30.  We have no ftp ability.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Phillips (andrew@teslab.lab.oz.au) Phone +61 (Aust) 2 (Sydney) 289 8712