[comp.sys.amiga] QC & Commodore

soh@pegasus.trl.oz.au (kam hung soh) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug20.134431.611@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, pab@po.cwru.edu
(Pete Babic) writes:
> I've had three CBM machines (C64, C128, Amiga 500) and have never had a
> problem with the hardware. Maybe I've been lucky, but I think Commodore
> hardware is at least as reliable as anyone else's hardware.

I had a VIC-20, a C64 and a A1000, and none of them failed me in their many
years of usage.  I did blow the sound chip on my C64 once (never, never plug
anything into the computer when it is on!), but that was the extent of my
troubles.  My A1000 lasted for three years without a hitch, but I had to
resolder a weak joint in the 1081 monitor after two years.

I stuck with Commodore because the company produces exciting computers,
but the support here in Australia (hint hint; what support?) is making
it impossible for me to suggest using an Amiga for work.  Oh, I wish
someone would shake the distributors by the scruff of their necks!
Me?  I have to lie back for a while and see when the A3000 finally gets
some `official' local publicity.

---
Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

andrew@teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips 289 8712) (08/28/90)

In article <2101@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@pegasus.trl.oz.au (kam hung soh) writes:
>I had a VIC-20, a C64 and a A1000, and none of them failed me in their many
>years of usage.  ...

I bought a VIC-20 when they were first available in 1981 and soon
after a VIC-1540 diskette drive (later upgraded ROM to 1541).  I
bought a C64 in 1984.  I bought one of the first A1000s available in
Australia in 1986.  All of this equipment is still working and in use!

The VIC, C64 and disk drive are used by nephews mainly for games.
The only problems they exhibit are that the keyboards don't work too
well (probably just need cleaning).  My A1000 (plus SideCar, hard
disk & 2Mb) has been in constant use and has worked flawlessly for
over four years.

GREAT HARDWARE

>... the support here in Australia (hint hint; what support?) ...

TERRIBLE SUPPORT (at least in Australia)
--
Andrew Phillips (andrew@teslab.lab.oz.au) Phone +61 (Aust) 2 (Sydney) 289 8712