[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore stock

detert@lognet2.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert) (07/01/89)

I trust by now everyone has seen how much Commodore stock fell yesterday on
news that they may again post a loss due to the falling dollar vs the mark.
It really goes to show just how much they need to improve US operations and
I'm sure nobody knows that better than they.  Lets hoping Mr Copperman can
indeed turn things around here at home.  Cheers, Dave

CMSgt David K Detert, USAF         MILNet:  detert@lognet2.af.mil

mike@murphy.com (Michael P. Reilly) (05/09/90)

You might think this is worth somethin, you might think it's garbage, but
not all of it is pure 'speculation'

A week or two ago there was a conversation going on about commodore
stock...

Just a few thoughts on the subject from a person who works in a
brokerage firm, and talks to the technology traders, but doesn't,
not even remotely, claims to know everything

Just because the Wall Street Journal says the stock is going to fall, and
some other publication says it is going to rise, doesn't mean the Wall Street
Journal reporter is a moron and hasn't done any research on the company,
it might mean just the opposite, but you have to remember, these reporters
are just making predictions, like weather men (with the same, or less,
percentage of being right).  They make their predictions, it they are right,
they gloat about it, if they are wrong, they never mention it again....

In 1983 Commodore's stock was trading at 60 dollars a share ( I don't know
the profits per share), last April it was trading at 20 dollars a share with
first quarter profits of 38 cents a share.... right now (May 8, 1990 2:05pm
on the NYSE) Commodore is selling at 7.125 dollars a share and a profit
of 01 cent a share last quarter....

Now these aren't necessarily dire numbers, if the 'analysts' don't expect great
earnings, a companies earning report can look bad, and the stock still might
go up....Commodores stock went down to 6.375 the day the earning came out,
but was back to 7.25 the next day..

We (my firm)think it is going to go up, and have bought a couple of thousand
shares to "put out money where our mouths are", if you feel commodore is going
to do well with the A3000, and A2000/A2500 lines, try buying a few hundred
(1 or 2) shares. Just think, if you buy 200 shares at $7, now,  (thats $1,400,
what you might have saved up towards your A3000 for example) and it rises to 12
or 13 by september (a good jump, but DEFINITLY not imposible, especially if a
bunch of people BUY) then your $1400 is now $2400 or $2600 dollars, enough for
an A3000, and you got your brand new amiga for 1400, and helped the future of
the company..

If enough people believe in Commodore and buy the stock, the stock WILL go up,
thus bringing attention to it in the business world, they will wonder why it is
going up, give credit to the new Commodore policies, assume Commodore is on the
comeback trail, then they will buy more commodore products, and stock, thus
helping the company and sending the stock up...

It works, I've seen it....

Mike Reilly           Murphy & Durieu | "just remember, brokers are wierder
mike@murphy.com       N.Y. N.y.       |  than programers.. by a long shot.."

(for those not interested in this at all and violently opposed to
its posting, I put commodore stock as the subject: make a kill
file!)

	Although I am mailing the stock reports to 16 people who
expressed interest, recent events should interest most of you.
The stock jumped 5/8 yesterday to 8 1/8 and today (so far, it is
only 1:08PM) jumped another 1 1/2 points to 9 5/8. No explanation
as far as I can tell.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

In article <1990Jun1.173029.18537@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>The stock [Commodore] jumped 5/8 yesterday to 8 1/8 and today (so far, it is
>only 1:08PM) jumped another 1 1/2 points to 9 5/8. No explanation
>as far as I can tell.

The market hit another all time high, and technology stocks in general
(exclude Adobe :-) are doing even better.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (08/26/90)

Commodore stock ended the week at 4 7/8 a share, after hitting a low
of 4 5/8 a share on Thursday, the lowest price I have ever seen it.
It was up to 11 1/8 back in January, and has been sliding ever since.

I've seen at least one article in some Amiga mag somewhere that echoed
my confusion about this state of affairs:  That there is little or no
reason for the stock to be at this level.  Commodore is doing better
now than it has in years, with better products, better managment,
better marketing, etc.  Why the heck is the stock down so far??

I am fearful that with stock prices this low, C= may be ripe-pickin's
for a hostile take-over.  Does anyone echo this fear, or has my
inadequate knowledge of the stock market led me to an unfounded
conclusion?

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (08/26/90)

- Commodore stock ended the week at 4 7/8 a share, after hitting a low
- of 4 5/8 a share on Thursday, the lowest price I have ever seen it.
- It was up to 11 1/8 back in January, and has been sliding ever
- since.
- ...
- I am fearful that with stock prices this low, C= may be
- ripe-pickin's for a hostile take-over.  Does anyone echo this fear,
- or has my inadequate knowledge of the stock market led me to an
- unfounded conclusion?

I wouldn't worry about it.  It'll pick up during the Christmas
season.  All, or most, of the computer stocks are like this.  They
seem to dip real low in the summer and pick up in the fall and
winter.  Look at Atari stocks!  AAAAK!  Talking about getting loooow.

BTW, where can I find the Commodore stock listing?

In article <90237.145531JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>I am fearful that with stock prices this low, C= may be ripe-pickin's
>for a hostile take-over.  Does anyone echo this fear, or has my
>inadequate knowledge of the stock market led me to an unfounded
>conclusion?
>
>                                                            Kurt

	Doubtful. First off, Irving Gould owns 20% of the stock.
That is worth many millions of dollars. Second, even if someone
puts up the cash to compete with Irving, many of the stockholders
are institutions not particularly interested in change. Also, as
long as Harry Copperman stays in charge of the U.S., most people
will remain faithful to Irving Gould.
	Finally, you have to remember that if someone buys-out
Commodore, they not only pay for the Amiga, but also for the
C-64/128 AND the line of clones.

>--
>|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
>|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
>|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait
NumCountries--

gerry@dialogic.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) (08/27/90)

In article <90237.145531JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Commodore stock ended the week at 4 7/8 a share, after hitting a low
>of 4 5/8 a share on Thursday, the lowest price I have ever seen it.
>It was up to 11 1/8 back in January, and has been sliding ever since.

This is more of a reflection of the US economy as a whole and
especially the hi-tech industry stock.  Most stocks are in a similar
shape.  Keep in mind that the Japanese stock market dropped over 1000
points in one day this past week.  The mid-east crisis is very serious.

Of course, if you have confidence in CBM, this is a good time to buy...

--
uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (08/27/90)

In article <1311@dialogic.UUCP> gerry@dialogic.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) writes:
>In article <90237.145531JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>>Commodore stock ended the week at 4 7/8 a share, after hitting a low
>>of 4 5/8 a share on Thursday, the lowest price I have ever seen it.
>>It was up to 11 1/8 back in January, and has been sliding ever since.
>
>This is more of a reflection of the US economy as a whole and
>especially the hi-tech industry stock.  Most stocks are in a similar
>shape.  Keep in mind that the Japanese stock market dropped over 1000
>points in one day this past week.  The mid-east crisis is very serious.

This really isn't so bad.  CBM didn't lose as much as a few other
companies in its niche (namely Atari).  I wouldn't really sweat it.
I personally, bought a block at 4 5/8 on Friday morning.

>Of course, if you have confidence in CBM, this is a good time to buy...

Ditto.  Although this will not be quick money.  You're going to have
to hold onto it for a few months to a year to see any real gains.

>--
>uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
>	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
>gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054
>		       |  			   |	(201)334-8450

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Commodore stock ended the week at 4 7/8 a share, after hitting a low
>of 4 5/8 a share on Thursday, the lowest price I have ever seen it.
>It was up to 11 1/8 back in January, and has been sliding ever since.

>I've seen at least one article in some Amiga mag somewhere that echoed
>my confusion about this state of affairs:  That there is little or no
>reason for the stock to be at this level.  Commodore is doing better
>now than it has in years, with better products, better managment,
>better marketing, etc.  Why the heck is the stock down so far??

>I am fearful that with stock prices this low, C= may be ripe-pickin's
>for a hostile take-over.  Does anyone echo this fear, or has my
>inadequate knowledge of the stock market led me to an unfounded
>conclusion?

Well, Commodore just posted Yet Another Loss for the quarter, which
can hardly thrill investors, and I haven't heard that CBM is yet out
from under the thumb of their bankers, so things are probably
unattractive from that side too.

I'm _not_ going to claim that all the advertising in the world can't
overcome the word of mouth on a company that won't fix its mistakes;
nope, not me.  The customers are staying away in droves for reasons
other than the reputation the company and the product have earned,
I'm certain of it.

;-(

Kent, the man from xanth.
Wish I were allowed to buy stock; if Commodore ever _does_ issue the
needed recalls, the customers might come back, and this would be a
cheap entry at a chance to get rich.  Pitiful to see the hardware
and software engineers work so hard to develop such technically
superior stuff, and turn around and watch rotten management ruin the
market.  This is a $20 stock being dragged down by sheer stupidity.

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (08/27/90)

In article <90237.145531JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>Commodore stock ended the week at 4 7/8 a share, after hitting a low
>of 4 5/8 a share on Thursday, the lowest price I have ever seen it.
>It was up to 11 1/8 back in January, and has been sliding ever since.
>
>I've seen at least one article in some Amiga mag somewhere that echoed
>my confusion about this state of affairs:  That there is little or no
>reason for the stock to be at this level.  Commodore is doing better
>now than it has in years, with better products, better managment,
>better marketing, etc.  Why the heck is the stock down so far??

The answer is simple: low profits.

Investors looking at the botom line will see low dividends and be unwilling
keep their money invested in a company that fails to produce higher profits.

Personally I think that will change soon.  If you agree then you should buy
as much Commodore stock as possible, because once their profits go up
significantly their stock should sell much higher.  That would make $5
quite a bargain.

BTW, I've noticed that the Iraq crisis has hurt technology stocks much more
severely than other stocks.  Tech stocks seem to fluctuate much more
drastically than other stocks.  Which makes them attractive vehicles for
speculation, right?

If I can paraphrase Roy Roger's advice on the stock market, buy your stock
when the price is low, then sell after the price goes up.  If it doesn't
go up, don't buy it.   ;^)

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

>Commodore stock ended the week at 4 7/8 a share, after hitting a low
>of 4 5/8 a share on Thursday, the lowest price I have ever seen it.
>It was up to 11 1/8 back in January, and has been sliding ever since.

>I've seen at least one article in some Amiga mag somewhere that echoed
>my confusion about this state of affairs:  That there is little or no
>reason for the stock to be at this level.  Commodore is doing better
>now than it has in years, with better products, better managment,
>better marketing, etc.  Why the heck is the stock down so far??

Most stocks are down low right now. It's all the crap in the mideast.
The whole stock market is down, with the world wondering about oil supplies
and the potential for war. The stock market is down and bouncing around
like a mexican jumping bean right now. As tensions ease overseas, things
will pick back up again.

> [speculation that CBM is ripe for hostile takeover]

Remember, most all stocks are depressed right now, so CBM is not any lower
relative to any other stock than it was before this mess. There are a lot
better bargains out there than CBM for the smart takover shopper.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,