[comp.sys.amiga] ff cd-rom

JMPIERCE%USMCP6.BITNET@vm.tcs.tulane.edu (JIM PIERCE) (08/23/90)

 An erasable optical drive that can be used as either a bootable
hard disk drive or just a data drive was announced in Amiga Plus
magazine in the August/September, 1990 issue on p. 17. Its
capacity is 570 Megabytes and runs $4,899 retail with the
preformatted disks at $399 retail. Maybe I'm missing some marbles,
but wouldn't this be better than a CD-ROM ? Updating would
certainly be cheaper, but with a higher startup-price.

* <JMPIERCE@USMCP6.BITNET> Jim Pierce at Univ. of Southern Mississippi
* Disclaimer: 'Documentation? There's no documentation for bitnet.

JMPIERCE%USMCP6.BITNET@vm.tcs.tulane.edu (JIM PIERCE) (08/26/90)

 I found this alternative to a CD-ROM. I hope that you find it
interesting. I'm leaving bitnet soon. I found a 40-hour a week job
instead of the 19.5 working now. The new place has no net access.

 An erasable optical drive that can be used as either as bootable
hard disk drive or just a data drive was announced in Amiga Plus
magazine in the August/September, 1990 issue on p. 17. Its
capacity is 570 Megabytes and runs $4,899 retail with the
preformatted disks at $399 retail. Maybe I'm missing some marbles,
but wouldn't this be better than a CD-ROM ? Of course higher
startup cost, but cheaper to update. User just FTP the zoo !

JMPIERCE%USMCP6.BITNET@vm.tcs.tulane.edu (JIM PIERCE) writes:

> An erasable optical drive that can be used as either as bootable
>hard disk drive or just a data drive was announced in Amiga Plus
>magazine in the August/September, 1990 issue on p. 17. Its
>capacity is 570 Megabytes and runs $4,899 retail with the
>preformatted disks at $399 retail. Maybe I'm missing some marbles,
>but wouldn't this be better than a CD-ROM ? Of course higher
>startup cost, but cheaper to update. User just FTP the zoo !

I think the big difference is that the CD-ROM drive only costs slightly
more than the cartridge for the drive you talk about above. and the
CD-ROM disks are very cheap also, around $50. Plus don't forget, the
CDTV that Commodore is coming out with. It would be better to be compatible
with that device, than to go off at a tangent with a Magneto-optical drive
like you mention above. The whole idea was to get the disks out to the masses.
Not too many people want to pay more for their drive than they paid for their
computer (a LOT more in some cases).

A friend of mine has a Ricoh Magneto-Optical drive
hooked up to his Amiga. It's pretty nice, but the cartridges are EXPENSIVE
(about the same as you mention above).
If all you want is a removable read-writable drive, there are cheaper ones
than optical drives.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,