[comp.sys.amiga] DBW Render 2.1 and World 3D

vle@pnet01.cts.com (Vinh Le) (08/27/90)

Has anyone purchased DBW Render 2.1 (raytracer) and its companion World 3D
(scene/object editor)?  How is its ease of use?  Speed?  (relative to Turbo
Silver or Sculpt)  Price/performance?  Where can one order it?  For how much?
Thanks...

                                    Vinh Le

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!vle
ARPA: crash!pnet01!vle@nosc.mil
INET: vle@pnet01.cts.com

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (08/28/90)

In article <4142@crash.cts.com> vle@pnet01.cts.com (Vinh Le) writes:

> Has anyone purchased DBW Render 2.1 (raytracer) and its companion World 3D
> (scene/object editor)?  How is its ease of use?  Speed?  (relative to Turbo
> Silver or Sculpt)  Price/performance?  Where can one order it?
> For how much?

DBW_Render is a public domain raytracer that has been around for
several years.  I believe that a version exists somewhere that
utilizes floating point coprocessors.  It has a lot of nice features,
such as superquadrics, solid texturing, IFF image mapping,
antialiasing, fractal objects, global haze, photographic
depth-of-field, etc.  Unfortunately, DBW_Render does not include a
scene editor; scenes must be specified with DBW_Render's scripting
language.

World_3D is a commercial scene editor for DBW_Render.  World_3D gives
you access to most (but not all) of the DBW_Render features, via an
interactive user interface.  The user interface is the old-fashioned
"tri-view with perspective preview" kind.

World_3D does what it is claimed to do, but won't win any prizes for
user-friendliness.  It has multiple modes, and various commands are
only available in certain modes.  Each time you click on an object via
the mouse, it changes to a different color, and the color determines
what operations you can apply to the object (move, delete, etc.)  Even
though you can define your own attributes and give them descriptive
names (e.g. "gold", "chalk", etc.), if you want to assign an attribute
to an object you must reference the attribute via its *number*, rather
than via its descriptive name.  That's a real pain.

World_3D also has some rough edges.  It doesn't seem to work well with
ConMan.  If ConMan is in effect when World_3D is started, then some
World_3D inputs don't always work (the author told me these inputs
use RAW mode).  Superquadrics also don't seem to work well; incorrect
or out-of-range inputs can crash the program, rather than being
rejected by the program with an appropriate error message.

Finally, I find that some ILBM picture files generated by DBW_Render
cannot be displayed by such viewer programs as ViewILBM and Mostra;
they can only be displayed by DBW_Render's own included view program.

World_3D costs $65, and was developed by:
	Synthetic Reality
	P. O. Box 6066
	St. Cloud, MN  56302
	612-259-9499

One other annoyance: I bought World_3D from Synthetic Reality, and
charged the purchase to a credit card.  A month or two later, the
credit card bill I received listed a $65 purchase from a clothing
store (which I didn't recognize).  I finally ascertained that this was
the bill for World_3D.  The owner of Synthetic Reality didn't have a
franking machine to take the imprint for the credit card slip, and so
he borrowed his mother's (she runs the clothing store).

--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (08/28/90)

> sdl@linus.mitre.org writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <SDL.90Aug27205143@d74sun.linus.mitre.org>
>
> Org.  : The Mitre Corporation, Bedford, MA
> Person: Steven D. Litvinchouk
>

> DBW_Render is a public domain raytracer that has been around for
>
> I believe the term you are looking for is either "freely-redistributable" or
> "shareware". This is not a public domain
> program. I've read the copyright notice.
> -Ron Tarrant

bradm@pro-grouch.cts.com (Brad Martin) (08/29/90)

Vinh, DBW Render is PD, so there is no need to purchase it, and I believe that
it comes with World 3D.  DBW has a really nice rendering engine, the picture
quality is VERY good.  But, World 3D, IMHO, is very limited.  If it had come
out 2 years ago I would be jumping for joy.  But packages, such as 3D Pro, and
the soon to be released Imagine and Hash's Journyman are much better, and much
more powerful.

.>Brad Martin<.

Cute tag lines on request.