[comp.sys.amiga] Memory expansion

ugmiker@sunybcs (Michael Reilly) (07/27/87)

hi all.....
	by the end of august I just might be able to get enough money
together to buy some extra memory(believe it or not...).  Right now I
have a vanilla amiga(I like lisp and flavors), nothing but the usual
512k memory.  I was thinking about the "insider", and was wondering
what kind of experiences people have had with it.  I was also wondering
if maybe people who bought one meg, soon realized that they wanted more,
if alot of people have felt this way, I might just save a little (alot) more
and think about going for 2 megs.
	What I really want is all your religious answers to this question,
if you feel one product is better than another, tell me, and tell me why,
what products seem to have better "crash records"{I know perry is just
jumping to reply}, and which products seem to not work with other manufac-
turer's products{like fred fish's hard drive/extra memory problems}. Also
if you could say something about the expandability of the product, it would
help.  If I can get the money together I want to go for two megs, and
probably from ASDG, any reasons why I should/shouldn't ?????

	thanks for all the help....

						mike(r)

                     Mike Reilly                              //
                     ---- ------                             //
           University of Buffalo Computer Science      AMIGA//
           ---------- -- ------- -------- -------        \\//
               csnet:	ugmiker@buffalo.CSNET             \/
               uucp:	..!{nike|watmath,alegra,decvax}!sunybcs!ugmiker
               BITNET:	ugmiker@sunybcs.BITNET   <-OR->   ACSCMPR@ubvmsc.BITNET

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (07/29/87)

Clearly we think ASDG has the best memory deal for the price. For
599 you get two megabytes WITH a self powered card cage with  TWO
slots AND an 18 month warranty, and  a  full set of comprehensive
diagnostics, and the Recoverable Ram Disk.

This price is roughly what  you  would pay per megabyte for a non
Zorro unpowered internal or external memory upgrade. And, we have
never had an ASDG product NOT work on an Amiga (and have the same
unit work on another box).

ed@plx.UUCP (Ed Chaban) (07/31/87)

In article <3644@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) writes:
> Clearly we think ASDG has the best memory deal for the price. For
> 599 you get two megabytes WITH a self powered card cage with  TWO
> slots AND an 18 month warranty, and  a  full set of comprehensive
> diagnostics, and the Recoverable Ram Disk.

Hey, what ever happened to the "no advertising" policy on
USENET Perry?  Please confine this stuff to E-Mail, it makes
me sick....

Seriously, Your product has been available for quite some time
now. This posting is not an announcement, it's an endorsement
and a very biased one at that....

-ed-

cheung@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Wilson Cheung) (08/05/87)

In article <705@plx.UUCP>, ed@plx.UUCP (Ed Chaban) writes:
> Hey, what ever happened to the "no advertising" policy on
> USENET Perry?  Please confine this stuff to E-Mail, it makes
> me sick....
>
> Seriously, Your product has been available for quite some time
> now. This posting is not an announcement, it's an endorsement
> and a very biased one at that....
> -ed-

Well if you need a less biased endorsement.  I was one of those Amiga
users with shallow pockets that was waiting for the price of expansion
to go down but didn't want to buy into a closed end expansion product.
With ASDG's 2 meg board and mini-rack that wait is over.  For $599
I not only get 2 megs but an extra slot which I plan on using with
there SCSI controller (has its own 68000 with 512K buffers).  But not
only that when ASDG comes out with its A2000 compatible box I can
if I want still use the same mini-rack C boards.  Sure such an upgrade
will mean throwing out the mini-rack box, but then again the mini-rack
C is free.  I doubt any one can match ASDGs economical solution to short
term and long term expansion.

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (12/02/87)

I wrote this in response to a query about memory expansion for the
Amiga.  I tried mailing it, but it got bounced by the unix mailer, as
usual.

I bought an Insider (1M + clock) from Abel supply.  Their price is still
the best I've seen, and they were prompt.  This seems to be about the
cheapest 1M expansion I've seen.  And the clock is great!

Installing the Insider is NOT trivial.  It took me several tries to get
it in.  The directions were clear enough, but you have to be pretty
patient to install the three little clips on three obscure spots on
the mother and daughter boards.  Just be prepared to take your time.  It
probably took me 3-4 hours to get it right.  Once I got it in it worked
fine.  I love it.

As you probably know, some (old) software won't work properly with the
fast memory there, e.g. Textcraft.  They include a program that consumes
all of the fast memory, so that these programs will work.

Abel's address is:

Abel Supply, Inc
Rt #3, Box-705, Middlecreek
Seveirville, TN  37862
(615) 428-5100

I have no connection with Abel Supply or the makers of the Insider,
other than happy customer.
--
-Peter

johndoe@sns.UUCP (Christian Motz) (11/27/88)

I recently upgraded from my good old Amy 2000 A to  a  B-Model.  I  still
have the Memory Expansion Board that was plugged into the Processor  slot
of the 2000 A. Now here's the Question: is there any way to use the board
in the B-Model? It would be a shame to throw away 1 MByte of RAM,  right?
Unfortunately playing around with the jumpers on  the  board  ("COMMODORE
1986 A2000 1MB RAM EXP. ASSY NO.  380 745 REV.3") had (almost) no effect.
Most of the time the machine simply stays dead  on  startup;  the  "best"
result was that the Power-LED flashed.
   Could someone tell me what the jumpers on that board mean and if there
is some simple hardware hack to get the board working in the  2000  B?  I
would appreciate any help.
                                                                   Chris.
--
Christian Motz         uucp: uunet!unido!sns!johndoe       BIX : cmotz
Braunenbergweg 3

adam@cbmvax.UUCP (Adam Levin CATS) (12/01/88)

Concerning the use of an A2000 1 Meg RAM Expansion card in a B2000:
on some B2000s it works, on others it doesn't.  No guarantees.

The (J1) jumper pins are on the component side of the board and are numbered:

            ~

            |          2   4   6   8  10
            |          .   .   .   .   .
            |          .   .   .   .   .
            |
            |          1   3   5   7   9

            ~
            ~

            +---------------------------------
                                              |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_

For 512K of RAM (top row empty) short pins 3-4, 5-6, & 7-8 with 3 jumpers.
For 1M of RAM (top row filled) short pins 3-4 & 9-10 with 2 jumpers.

I personally have not been able to get more that 512K to work, but
I think I have a bad RAM chip.

	== Adam

guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) (01/10/89)

     What is the cheapest way to upgrade the amiga 1000 to 1 Meg of memory.
I am not too excited about spending ~500 dollars for .5 Meg of memory.

Doug Quarnstrom

dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) (01/11/89)

In article <11300002@hpfclr.HP.COM> guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) writes:

>     What is the cheapest way to upgrade the amiga 1000 to 1 Meg of memory.
>I am not too excited about spending ~500 dollars for .5 Meg of memory.
>
>Doug Quarnstrom

An early issue of Amazing Computing had a hack which consisted of piggybacking
some ram chips inside the A1000.  Check out almost any issue for a summary
of back issues to find out which issue had it,  and track down someone who
has it (user groups are good for this kind of thing).

If you just want to bolt on something, you're going to have to spend some cash.

|    // GOATS - Gladly Offering All Their Support  Dave Kinzer (602)897-3085|
|   //  >> In Hell you need 4Mb to Multitask!  <<  uunet!nud!fbog!dbk       |
| \X/   #define policy_maker(name) (name->salary > 3 * dave.salary)         |

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (01/12/89)

In article <11300002@hpfclr.HP.COM> guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) writes:

>     What is the cheapest way to upgrade the amiga 1000 to 1 Meg of memory.
>I am not too excited about spending ~500 dollars for .5 Meg of memory.
>
>Doug Quarnstrom

If youre into hardware hacking and you don't mind blowing your warranty you
can do the Amizing Computing memory hack. You basically go in and solder extra
chips onto the motherboard and end up with an extra 512K of addmemable
memory. It is also nice because the memory is not activated unless you use
addmem so you can still bring the machine up in a stock configuration. I
did it to my 1000 a year ago and it works fine. Cost me about 75$ in chips.
I forget which issue of Amazing it appeared in but if you are interested I
can look it up.

				BK

Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
The official word, is NO. I am therefore going anyway!
   						         Kirk - Star Trek III

                Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/12/89)

in article <5663@cbmvax.UUCP>, bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) says:

> In article <11300002@hpfclr.HP.COM> guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) writes:

>>     What is the cheapest way to upgrade the amiga 1000 to 1 Meg of memory.
>>I am not too excited about spending ~500 dollars for .5 Meg of memory.

>>Doug Quarnstrom

> If youre into hardware hacking and you don't mind blowing your warranty you
> can do the Amizing Computing memory hack.

I did this same hack to my A1000, way back when, using Chris Erving's
original instructions, and it worked pretty well.  But you really have to
be careful (eg, know what you're doing, and then some).  My system worked
like a champ for about a year and a half, then the memory started failing.
Upon cracking the A1000 open, I found that one lead on one DRAM wasn't
soldered (I guess that's supposed to teach me not to hack hardware at
4 AM).

On a related topic, the original modification put this RAM at $80000,
thich made the Amiga think it was CHIP memory, a real problem.  By the
time the Mr. Erving re-did the article for Amazing, he'd come up with a
hack to delay the visibility of this memory until after the OS set up
CHIP RAM, allowing on to the AddMem the extra 512K.  I didn't care for
that approach, so I created a hack of my own to change the decoding for
this memory such that it would appear at $C00000, just like on an A2000.
This article MAY still be up on some BBS system somewhere, and it's
supposed to be accompanied by an IFF picture of the final circuit.  It
requires modification of the daughterboard.

For cheap A2000 or A500 memory upgrades (beyond 1 meg), I wouldn't
recommend any such hack.  The A2000 DRAM bus is already reasonably full,
and with Fat Agnus instead of thin Agnus, you don't have access to as
many control signals, so the task would be much more difficult, if it
would work at all.  A company called Digitronics makes a assemble-it
yourself Zorro II DRAM board, which will hold 4 meg of chips, which is
to date the cheapest memory board I've seen.  This kit costs $100 and
includes everything but DRAM, and they also have an adaptor that'll let
this same board hook onto an A500.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (01/14/89)

From article <5663@cbmvax.UUCP>, by bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS):
> If youre into hardware hacking and you don't mind blowing your warranty you
How many Amiga 1000s are still
under warranty, I wonder?

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (01/19/89)

:
:If youre into hardware hacking and you don't mind blowing your warranty you
:can do the Amizing Computing memory hack. You basically go in and solder extra
:chips onto the motherboard and end up with an extra 512K of addmemable
:memory.

Anyone know if it is possible to install an A501 into an A1000 with this
hack?  A mate of mine has one and wants to attach it to his A1000.  It would
save a lot of effort producing the control circuitry...  (The real-time
clock would be handy as well).
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter@stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!peter

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (01/19/90)

In <1645@bnlux0.bnl.gov>, lotridge@charlie.amd.bnl.gov (Charlie Lotridge)
writes:

|   I've reason to believe that the price of memory is going to go up
| shortly. [...]

   Does this belief have anything to do with the newspaper article
 excerpted below?

 ------------
        JAPAN'S MICROCHIP MAKERS CUT BACK

  (TOKYO)
   Japan's memory-chip makers are hitting the brakes on production in
 an effort to end the glut of chips on world markets and keep prices
 from sliding.
   Continuing a slowdown begun several months ago, Toshiba Corp., NEC
 Corp. and other companies have cut one-megabit dynamic random access
 memory microchips this month by 10 to 15 percent.
   [ further discussion of the dram market ]
 ------------

   Verbum sapiente.

  "Never imply that you would be willing to sacrifice profit
  for market share. - IBM's lawyers' advice to its executives"
         -Big Blue:IBM's Use & Abuse of Power by Richard T. Delamarter
  Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
    uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
      a186@mindlink.UUCP

lotridge@charlie.amd.bnl.gov (Charlie Lotridge) (01/20/90)

Hello world,
	I've reason to believe that the price of memory is going to go up
shortly.  As a result, I've decided to look into expansion and am interested
in info about such things as opinions about the different products available,
prices, ease of installation, etc.
	I currently have a 2000 (I don't know what revision - how is this
determined?) with the stock 1 Mb.  I'm interested, if the price is right, in
going all the way up to 9 Mb.
	In the last issue of _AmigaWorld_ I got before my subscription
expired (January or February I think - I don't have it with me), I THOUGHT
I saw the Microbiotics 8 UP product, fully populated, for ~$850 from Mass.
based 'The Software Shop'.  This was the best price I saw in that issue for
a full 8 meg expansion.  But looking in the current (special) issue (which
I just went out and bought), there's no advertisement from 'The Software
Shop' (which is unusual) so I don't know the current situation.
	I currently own the HardFrame 2000, I like it, and I'm pretty happy
with Microbiotics in general (they had no problem paying for a Quantum 40 Mb
I roasted as a result of their error) so unless somebody can give a good
reason not to, I'll probably go in that direction (8 UP).
	So, again, I'm interested in any thoughts, opinions, comments,
suggestions you might have.  And I'm particularly interested in talking
with somebody (via email) who has recently gone thru this.

In advance, thank you -

						- Charlie

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/21/90)

     In addition to purchasing the 8-up board, I would seriously consider
the SIMM version (which they have discontinued but can still be found) over
the dip version.  They discontinued it because of the high cost of simms
compared to dipps, people were not buying the 8up until the dip version came
out.
     Simms, as you probably know, are a hell of a lot painless and safer (no
pins to worry about.  Just snap it in and it works).  The thing that has
changed is that Simms are dirt cheap now.  You can buy 1x8 80ns SIMMS in
the $75-80 dollar range now for a 1 meg module.
     Go for it...                                later, jason

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (01/22/90)

Question...  What reason do you have to believe that?  Sounds like you've
heard something we'd be REAL interested in!

uunet!tronsbox!bleys uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!billc bcavanaugh on BIX

"The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"

                             Finagle's First Law

zebr360@ut-emx.UUCP (Jerry Heyman) (02/02/90)

I find it rather interesting that the Japanese chip makers would make their
announcement about chip cutbacks AFTER the announcement that US Memories
wouldn't be in business.  Seems like after they've convinced their US users
that they shouldn't support US Memories (Apple, Compaq, etc) because they
have nothing to worry about - this announcement was made.

Interesting way of doing business :)  Maybe I ought to try to convince
people that they needn't get involved with my competition because I'll always
give them what they need, and after driving my competitor out of business (in
this case, they never got started), I'll cut back my production to raise my
prices.

I may be a little cynical, but I call them the way I see them.

jerry heyman

acota@pro-realm.cts.com (Arnold Cota) (07/24/90)

I am lookign for a memory expansion for the 1000. I am looking for something
CHEAP!

Arn Cota

UUCP: crash!pro-realm!acota
ARPA: crash!pro-realm!acota@nosc.mil
INET: acota@pro-realm.cts.com

keith@actrix.co.nz (Keith Stewart) (08/31/90)

 A person called Micheal J Fellinger published instructions on
how to make a 1 MEG memory expansion. Apparently it has been in the
hardware section of amiga section in Compuserve. A friend needs the
latest version. Any idea where it is where I can get it for hin down
here in New Zealand.

Thanks