[comp.sys.amiga] 2630 can't play DM and Populous

fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu (08/28/90)

I recently acquired a 2630 board.  I found out (when I got around to it)
that even in 68000 mode (you know, hold both mouse buttons down and choose
from the menu) it wouldn't play Dungeon Master or Populous.  Is it just
that I am running off of an unmodified V4.4 mother board or is it that I
can't play either of these games without pulling my 2630 out.  That would
be totally unacceptable.
	Charlie
--
Charlie Fineberg	Dept. Biochemistry, Wash. U. Shc. of Medicine (WUMS)
Box 8231, 4566 Scott Ave.		  BITNET: FINEBERG@WUMS

carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (08/28/90)

> I recently acquired a 2630 board.  I found out (when I got around to it)
> that even in 68000 mode (you know, hold both mouse buttons down and choose
> from the menu) it wouldn't play Dungeon Master or Populous.  Is it just

I remember reading about problems as well.  However, just recently I fired up
DM on my 2630, and have not had any problem whatsoever (aside, of course, from
the actual game itself.  Fun, though).  Do the problems show up later in the
game?

fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu (08/31/90)

In article <88880@srcsip.UUCP>, carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) writes:
> I remember reading about problems as well.  However, just recently I fired up
> DM on my 2630, and have not had any problem whatsoever (aside, of course, from
> the actual game itself.  Fun, though).  Do the problems show up later in the
> game?
Very interesting,
  I haven't called FTL yet, but the problem is that it won't get past the
"DUNGEON MASTER"  screen.  I get the FTL and the swoop noise and then the
"DUNGEON MASTER" logo.  It doesn't even boot in 68030 mode.  It works just
fine on a friends 2000 with 3M expansion and a 40+ Meg hard drive.
  When did you get your copy?
	Charlie
--
Charlie Fineberg	Dept. Biochemistry, Wash. U. Sch. of Medicine (WUMS)

pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com (Robert Pomeroy) (08/31/90)

In article <3859.26d97ab9@wums2.wustl.edu>, fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu writes...
>I recently acquired a 2630 board.  I found out (when I got around to it)
>that even in 68000 mode (you know, hold both mouse buttons down and choose
>from the menu) it wouldn't play Dungeon Master or Populous.  Is it just
>that I am running off of an unmodified V4.4 mother board or is it that I
>can't play either of these games without pulling my 2630 out.  That would
>be totally unacceptable.
>	Charlie
>--
>Charlie Fineberg	Dept. Biochemistry, Wash. U. Shc. of Medicine (WUMS)

It isn't because of the 68030. I play DM almost daily on a release 3000
running under 1.3 (Doesn't work on 2.0). Populous doesn't like the 030
though, it gets through the intros, and crashes just before the
actual game begins.

Bob Pomeroy
Pomeroy@refine.enet.dec.com