[comp.sys.amiga] Where are PAL and Productivity modes on A3000?

Joseph Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (08/27/90)

6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:

> I have heard much talk about PAL mode and Productivity mode for the
> A3000.  However, I have no clue on how to do this.  My first instinct
> is to try the ScreenMode Preferences.  However, I get only four
> possible screenmodes, as follows:
>
> NTSC:Hires
> NTSC:SuperHires
> NTSC:Hires-Interlaced
> NTSC:SuperHires-Interlaced
>
> These four seem to work fine, but again, that's all I've got.  What do
> I need to do to get productivity mode and the PAL modes?  This is
> relevant, because some of the PD games out there expect a PAL screen,
> and barf without it.

Well, that depends on what files are in your monitor drawer...you should
have the files that represents the A1950 in there. The A1950 has a lot
more modes than that. There is a program on a recent Fish disk ( >300 )
that has an NTSC-PAL program that is supposed to allow NTSC machines to
use PAL and visa-versa. You can have the machine boot off a floppy and
automatically convert via a special bootblock, or run a command in your
startup-sequence, which is required for hard drives, and possible for
floppies. NOTE: This program will work on a machine with the ECS ONLY!
This means that it should work with A3000's, although the author (Nico
Francois) says it's only been tested on an A2000.

> 					-Dan
> --
>
> Dan Zerkle 6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu 6600dan@ucsbuxa.bitnet (805) 968-4683
>        Amiga....  Because life is too short for boring computers.

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

skank@du248-07.cc.iastate.edu (Skank George L) (08/28/90)

In article <16mJo3w162w@valnet> Joseph Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) writes:
>6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>
>> I have heard much talk about PAL mode and Productivity mode for the
>> A3000.  However, I have no clue on how to do this.  My first instinct
>> is to try the ScreenMode Preferences.  However, I get only four
>> possible screenmodes, as follows:
>>
>> NTSC:Hires
>> NTSC:SuperHires
>> NTSC:Hires-Interlaced
>> NTSC:SuperHires-Interlaced
>>
>> These four seem to work fine, but again, that's all I've got.  What do
>> I need to do to get productivity mode and the PAL modes?

     To get the vaunted Productivity mode on you A3000 you first need a
multiscanning monitor like the 1950.  Open the System2.0 window on your A3000.
Click on the MonitorStore and Monitors icons.  Drag the 1950 icon from the
MonitorStore window over to the Monitors window.  Find the AddMonitor icon and
select it.  Reboot the A3000, now when you select ScreenMode Preferences you
should have Productivity and Productivity-Interlaced. (I think that's the
correct procedure, I have mine configured so that I can use Productivity, but
I don't have the manual sitting in front of me right now.)  In any event, the
correct procedure is given in chapter 4 of the Using the System Software manual
AND AN ERATTA SHEET, it's the one that tells how to boot your 3000 so that it
runs 2.0 or 1.3, that very same eratta sheet tells how to reload your hard
drive in case of SERIOUS problems.  I haven't attempted any experimentation
with PAL mode yet.

                          George
                          Rebel Without A Clue

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (08/29/90)

To get PAL or Productivity modes to show up in your preferences, simply drag
over the moniter drivers from the drawer "MoniterStore" into your "WBStartup"
drawer...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

havemose@cbmehq.UUCP (Dr Allan Havemose ESCO) (08/31/90)

In article <6175@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>I have heard much talk about PAL mode and Productivity mode for the
>A3000.  However, I have no clue on how to do this.  My first instinct
>is to try the ScreenMode Preferences.  However, I get only four
>possible screenmodes, as follows:
>
>NTSC:Hires
>NTSC:SuperHires
>NTSC:Hires-Interlaced
>NTSC:SuperHires-Interlaced
>
>These four seem to work fine, but again, that's all I've got.  What do
>I need to do to get productivity mode and the PAL modes?  This is
>relevant, because some of the PD games out there expect a PAL screen,
>and barf without it.

You just have to drag the 'multiscan' and 'pal' icon from the MonitorStore
drawer into the Monitors Drawer. Doubble click on the icons and they
get 'Addmonitor'ed. By placing the icons in the Monitors drawer they
get invoced automatically during boot.

Now have a look at Prefs/ScreenMode.
>--
>
>Dan Zerkle 6600dan@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu 6600dan@ucsbuxa.bitnet (805) 968-4683
>       Amiga....  Because life is too short for boring computers.

	Allan

| Dr. Allan Havemose, Amiga Technical Support Manager                    |
| Commodore European Support & Coordination Office (ESCO)                |
| UUCP: {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!havemose                   |