[comp.sys.amiga] BITFTP/abcfd20 woes

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (08/27/90)

	I seem to be 'having problems' getting goodies from The New Xanth
(Oz?  Narnia?) through the BITFTP server.  Namely, everything comes up
corrupt when I try to un-lharc it.

	Is anyone else having this trouble, or is it just me?  In case it
matters, here's the commands I've been using:

---------------
FTP abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov UUENCODE
USER anonymous
CD incoming/amiga
BINARY
GET foo.lzh
QUIT
---------------

Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com	|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Kryme, T-U-R-T-L-E Power!

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (08/27/90)

In article <26d7b60b-2928comp.sys.amiga@tronsbox.xei.com> dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:

> 	I seem to be 'having problems' getting goodies from The New Xanth
> (Oz?  Narnia?) through the BITFTP server.  Namely, everything comes up
> corrupt when I try to un-lharc it.
>
> 	Is anyone else having this trouble, or is it just me?

I have tried to ftp stuff from the incoming/amiga directory via
Internet, and many of these files come back corrupted.  This includes
the MED files and the GnuEmacs files (is that a port of GNUEmacs to
the Amiga, by the way?).

So it's probably not the BITFTP server, the files were somehow
corrupted when they were placed on abcfd20 in the first place.

--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

bmacintyre@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) (08/27/90)

DFH> 	I seem to be 'having problems' getting goodies from The New
DFH> Xanth (Oz?  Narnia?) through the BITFTP server.  Namely, everything
DFH> comes up corrupt when I try to un-lharc it.

I got some stuff recently, and when I downloaded the lharc'd files to my
Amiga they were indeed corrupt.

BUT, if I un-lharc'd them, zoo'd them and then downloaded them, things
were ok.  I thought this was really wierd.  The only reason I tried it
is because I had un-lharc'd the files on my UNIX account to read the
docs before bothering to download them.

So, it would seem that there is some sort of inconsistency between the
lharc on UNIX and on the Amiga.  I've tried it with lharc 1.0 and lharc
1.2 that I got off the net recently.

What's even weirder is that this is the first time this has happened,
and that one of the three files I downloaded worked.

The files I experienced this with are

	gnuemacs_bin.lzh	<- didn't work
	gnuemacs_lisp.lzh	<- did work!
	gnuemacs_mylisp.lzh	<- not on abcfd20, I created it with the
				   lharc on my system.  Contained text
				   files.  I _didn't_ work!

Here is the banner for the lharc on Watcgl, our Unix system:
-----------
LHarc for UNIX  V0.03 (Beta Version)   Copyright(C) 1989  Y.Tagawa
usage: lharc {axevludmcp}[qnft] archive_file [files or directories...]
commands:               options:
 a   Append              q   quiet
 x,e EXtract             n   no execute
 v,l View/List           f   force (over write at extract)
 u   Update newer files
 d   Delete              t   FILES are TEXT file
 m   Move
 c   re-Construct new archive
 p   Print to STDOUT
-----------

Could it be that this is the version that created these archives and
there is some incompatability with the other ones?

Note: yes, those lhz files do indeed contain GNU Emacs, the real thing,
beta version 0.1.   Of course, I can't get it to run ...

Blair
--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com (Raymond S. Brand) (08/27/90)

In article <26d7b60b-2928comp.sys.amiga@tronsbox.xei.com>, dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:

> 	I seem to be 'having problems' getting goodies from The New Xanth
> (Oz?  Narnia?) through the BITFTP server.  Namely, everything comes up
> corrupt when I try to un-lharc it.
>
> 	Is anyone else having this trouble, or is it just me?  In case it
> matters, here's the commands I've been using:

If the ftp server that you are using is bitftp@pucc, then send a note to
MAINT@pucc describing you troubles. Also check the ASCII line at the top
of the messages from the server, specifically the last 3 characters. If
you are having the same trouble that I was having, changing all the tildes
(0x7e) back to carets (0x5e) before uudecoding will fix it.

> Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,

					rsbx

  Raymond S. Brand			rsbx@cbmvax.commodore.com
  Commodore-Amiga Engineering		...!uunet!cbmvax!rsbx
  1200 Wilson Drive			(215)-431-9100
  West Chester PA 19380			"Looking"

esalbert@scubed.com (Eric Salberta) (08/27/90)

In article <26d7b60b-2928comp.sys.amiga@tronsbox.xei.com> dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) writes:

>	I seem to be 'having problems' getting goodies from The New Xanth
>(Oz?  Narnia?) through the BITFTP server.  Namely, everything comes up
>corrupt when I try to un-lharc it.
>
>Dennis Francis Heffernan	|  "Remember the words of your teacher,
>dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com	|   your master: Evil moves fast, but
>...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis	|   Good moves faster!"
>Original text (c) 1990  	|   --Partners in Kryme, T-U-R-T-L-E Power!

	I also am having problems ftp'ing from the New Xanth -- namely,
the host table here never heard of "abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov".  I have
noticed that messages referring to other sites include a "number address"
(example: 128.174.5.59 for ux1.cso.uiuc.edu) that always works.  However,
I have never seen such an address listed for the "new Xanth" referred to
in the above, and several other, messages.  Could someone please either
e-mail me this address, or (if other people need it too) post a message
giving the address?  It would be very much appreciated.  If there is a
general way for finding out the "number address" given the "name address",
I would very much like to know that as well.

	Also, I have not been able to find Fred Fish Disks #351-370 on any
system that I can access -- any pointers would be most welcome.

	If "reply" fails for whatever reason, my mail address is:

			esalbert@scubed.scubed.com

	Thanks very much in advance.
						Eric Salberta

PS: I hope this is not one of those "new user questions" that everyone hates,
but I have really not seen the answer anywhere on the net.

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug27.031117.23543@watcgl.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
> LHarc for UNIX  V0.03 (Beta Version)   Copyright(C) 1989  Y.Tagawa

Get a new UNIX lharc -- the one from comp.sources.misc is

| C-LHarc for UNIX Version 1.00   (C) 1989-1990 Y.Tagawa, Kai Uwe Rommel

	...tad

In article <382@scubed.SCUBED.COM> esalbert@scubed.com (Eric Salberta) writes:
> I also am having problems ftp'ing from the New Xanth -- namely, the host
> table here never heard of "abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov".

It's the '90's, dude: get a name server! -- There's no excuse to not have one.

> I have noticed that messages referring to other sites include a "number
> address" ... I have never seen such an address listed for the "new Xanth"

abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov   AN IN   A       128.155.23.64

> If there is a general way for finding out the "number address" given the
> "name address", I would very much like to know that as well.

YES!  Send ``help'' to <nslookup@sh.cs.net>

	...tad

In article <SDL.90Aug26224558@d74sun.linus.mitre.org> sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:
> I have tried to ftp stuff from the incoming/amiga directory via
> Internet, and many of these files come back corrupted.  This
> includes the MED files and the GnuEmacs files (is that a port of
> GNUEmacs to the Amiga, by the way?).

I can't test MED from here since it's an lhWARP, not an lhARC...
The MED210.EXE file has been updated and now seems to be the right
size, so if yours in't 66072 bytes, get it again.

The two GNUemacs lharc's tested OK on my Sun-4/60...

	...tad

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (08/28/90)

In article <TADGUY.90Aug27100138@abcfd21.larc.nasa.gov> tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:

> In article <SDL.90Aug26224558@d74sun.linus.mitre.org> sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:
> > I have tried to ftp stuff from the incoming/amiga directory via
> > Internet, and many of these files come back corrupted.  This
> > includes the MED files and the GnuEmacs files (is that a port of
> > GNUEmacs to the Amiga, by the way?).
>
> I can't test MED from here since it's an lhWARP, not an lhARC...
> The MED210.EXE file has been updated and now seems to be the right
> size, so if yours in't 66072 bytes, get it again.
>
> The two GNUemacs lharc's tested OK on my Sun-4/60...

OK, I'll try again with other telecommunications software.  Is that
GNUEmacs a real port of GNUEmacs to the Amiga?  Or else what is it?

--

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (08/28/90)

	RE Corrupt stuff from BITFTP

	The tilde-to-carat trick is the one that works- one kind soul even
mailed me a script to do it!

	At least, that's the case on the one file I've tested it on,
vltselect21.lzh.  I plan to snarf some more to try it out on...muahhahaha.

rda353l@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (a.r. 8947277 baxter) (08/28/90)

>DFH> 	I seem to be 'having problems' getting goodies from The New
>DFH> Xanth (Oz?  Narnia?) through the BITFTP server.  Namely, everything
>DFH> comes up corrupt when I try to un-lharc it.

>Here is the banner for the lharc on Watcgl, our Unix system:
>-----------
>LHarc for UNIX  V0.03 (Beta Version)   Copyright(C) 1989  Y.Tagawa
>usage: lharc {axevludmcp}[qnft] archive_file [files or directories...]
>commands:               options:
> a   Append              q   quiet
> x,e EXtract             n   no execute
> v,l View/List           f   force (over write at extract)
> u   Update newer files
> d   Delete              t   FILES are TEXT file
> m   Move
> c   re-Construct new archive
> p   Print to STDOUT
>-----------
>Could it be that this is the version that created these archives and
>there is some incompatability with the other ones?
You need Lharc v1.00, availiable at a comp.sources.misc (i think) archive
site. Another note: when using lharc 1.00 on UN*X, be sure to specify
-g (generic) mode, this stops lharc from saving userid and permissions
in the archive, which is what seems to confuse Amiga versions of lharc.
(Note: on our machine, I changed the source so this is the default, it
is a trivial change, and makes life much easier :)

Hope this helps,
Anthony

Anthony Baxter:
rda353l%monu6.cc.monash.oz@uunet.UU.NET        Robotics and Digital Technology
^^^^^^^ Dont you just LOVE numberplate ID's?   Monash University, Caulfield
{uunet}!munnari!monu6.cc.monash.oz!rda353l
Or Snail Mail: PO Box 104, Carnegie,
    Victoria, Australia, 3163.

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (08/29/90)

esalbert@scubed.com (Eric Salberta) writes:

>the host table here never heard of "abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov".  I have
>noticed that messages referring to other sites include a "number address"
>(example: 128.174.5.59 for ux1.cso.uiuc.edu) that always works.  However,
>I have never seen such an address listed for the "new Xanth" referred to
>in the above, and several other, messages.  Could someone please either

The IP number to abcfd20 is 128.155.23.64.
On my Sun OS3.5 system I can see any number address for a given name
by doing 'telnet name.blah.buh 13' for example. The telnet program then
prints "Trying xxx.yyy.zz.q" or something similar. However, I don't know
if the name has to be in the hosttable already for this to work. I couldn't
test that 'cause I couldn't find a name that isn't in our hosttable :-)
As a bi-product of the above, you'll see the local time at that site
(provided you type 13 behind the name).

>	Also, I have not been able to find Fred Fish Disks #351-370 on any
>system that I can access -- any pointers would be most welcome.

Patience...! I'm sure Lionel Hummel and Mike Schwager (got it right this
time :-) do their best.

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (09/01/90)

In article <1055@tau.sm.luth.se> d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:

[ stuff about not being able to reach abcfd20 because the hostname wasn't
known and asking about how to find out the ``number address'' deleted ]

>On my Sun OS3.5 system I can see any number address for a given name
>by doing 'telnet name.blah.buh 13' for example. The telnet program then
>prints "Trying xxx.yyy.zz.q" or something similar. However, I don't know
>if the name has to be in the hosttable already for this to work. I couldn't

The way to find the number is to do this:
  nslookup abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov

This _does_ work for things not in the hosttable.  This works at least under
SunOS 4.0.3.
"The beauty queen, clevely clad,                    Logan Shaw
 admires herself in a cigarette ad.                 lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Will she admit that all was in vain                ========================
 when the face in her mirror cracks like a windowpane?"
              -Elim Hall, _Things_Break_