[comp.sys.amiga] XPRKermit problems with VLT4.824...:

myb100@csc.anu.oz (08/26/90)

G'day y'all

	I've got a small problem with the new VLT (4.824) and it's use of
XPRKermit. After installing everything per instructions, everything appeared
to work fine, until I tried to transfer a file (binary/text) from our
mainframes. From Unix boxes there appeared to be no problem , but from the
VAX/VMS...:

   At the end of a transfer, I get a double-beep, and the XPRK. window is still
up. So far, so normal. I then hit right-Amiga-Y to send the Kermit bye. As soon
as I touch the right Amiga key the kermit window goes away, but comes back
after I hit the Y-key. The VAX says 'Ok, connection closed' and any other key
thereafter will get rid of the kermit window. I then find my terminal in some
strange non-communicative never-never land :-( It swallows all my control
characters, like ^Y, ^C (break/cancel) ^T (show time) ^X (clear buffer) ^P
(swap sessions on our terminal server) etc. . Mostly they tend to behave like a
<return> i.e. they send a <cr> to the VAX. Also, my input is no longer echoed.
Typing 'set term/echo' brings it back.. But the cursor arrow keys no longer
appear to do the right thing. Up/down will recall commands, but left/right are
totally ignored - no line editing. The 'del' key now functions like a return
key as well, while the '<-' key works like a nondestructive backspace.

To put it simply..: 'HELP !!! What am I doing wrong ???' Have I set up
kermit incorrectly (how??) Is there a bug in XPRKermit somewhere ? (doubt it).

It appears that the problem lies in how the VAX sees my terminal - some
commands (typed in blindly) do reset some of the problems (like the echo)
but not all (like characters swallowed). Logging off and back in
resets everything back to normal. Swapping to another session
on the terminal server gets me to another VAX and/or UNIX box - no problems
there....Oh, while I think of it - there is a problem using kermit on the
Unix box: quiting kermit sends a ^D which is a logout.....

What is kermit sending to the mainframe when I ain't looking ?????

**ANY** help greatly appreciated !

 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank
 Phone donations: AUS-6-249-0280 Flames: alt.dev.null  Disclaimer: standard

coburn@clo.enet.dec.com (John T. Coburn) (08/26/90)

In article <2700.26d6fea8@csc.anu.oz>, myb100@csc.anu.oz writes...

   about problems using Kermit in VLT and VAX/VMS

Most of the problems describe have to do with the state of the terminal
characteristics that Kermit set the terminal to on the VAX end. What VMS
version of Kermit are you using?

Try to SET TERM/LINE to restore the line editting capability in DCL.
Also you probably need to SET TERM/NOPASSALL/NOPASTHRU to get the ^chars to
work.

The only VLT problem that you talked about is the <- key on the Amiga acting as
a backspace instead of a DEL (in VMS terms). Looks as if the keymap may have
been messed up?

John Coburn                             !Email:
Digital Equipment Corporation           ! coburn@clovax.enet.dec.com   -or-
Enterprise Integration Services 	! coburn%clovax.enet@decwrl.dec.com
Cleveland, Ohio                         ! ...!decwrl!clovax.enet!coburn

ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (08/26/90)

In article <2700.26d6fea8@csc.anu.oz>, myb100@csc writes some questions
about XPR Kermit and VAX/VMS Kermit.  I've sent him e-mail, which I hope
he gets, attempting to straighten out his particular problem.  However,
he makes one point which is a source of general confusion:

>Oh, while I think of it - there is a problem using kermit on the
>Unix box: quiting kermit sends a ^D which is a logout.....

In context, I think Marcus is seeing his Unix session logout when he
hits right-Amiga-Y (Kermit BYE) after putting the Unix Kermit in server
mode.  This is the correct behavior, in fact.  Previous versions of VLT
actually did a Kermit FINISH, not a Kermit BYE, for this menu item.
The difference is that a FINISH simply tells the remote Kermit to exit
server mode, while BYE tells the remote to exit entirely and to log you
off if possible.

A Kermit FINISH can be sent using XPR Kermit from the first requester you
get when you select the "External Options" on the "Transfer" menu of VLT,
or it can be sent from a script via the command "INIT XPR F".   This last
sends XPR Kermit a single F as an init string, which it interprets as a
request to send a FINISH to a remote.
-------------------------------
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
   I am srw@csun.edu no matter WHAT the stupid From: line says!

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (08/30/90)

I would like to see both XPRKermit and XPRXmodem posted to c.b.a  For
some strange reason it seems that XPRZmodem was posted a while back
but neither of the others made it(at least to here).  How about it?
Cheers
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (08/31/90)

In article <1520@syteke.be>, jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
> I would like to see both XPRKermit and XPRXmodem posted to c.b.a  For
> some strange reason it seems that XPRZmodem was posted a while back
> but neither of the others made it(at least to here).  How about it?
> Cheers
> --
> Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)

I think I just saw about 5 XPR modules on an FTP site, probably 'New' Xanth
(128.155.23.64) in /incoming/amiga.

---Mike,

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (09/01/90)

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:

> > Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
>

> I think I just saw about 5 XPR modules on an FTP site, probably 'New' Xanth
> (128.155.23.64) in /incoming/amiga.
>
> ---Mike,
>

> --
> A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
> "However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center
> "The fact has not created in me a          | Columbus, Ohio
> sense of obligation."- Stephen Crane       | mfigg@dsac.dla.mil  CIS: 73777,3

Actually, there are 5 files, but only three contain archives. I should
know...I ftp'd the Xmodem and Zmodem XPR's to Xanth. The following files
are present:

Filename           | Protocol   | Description
xprkermit15.lzh    | Kermit     | Adds Kermit 1.5
xprkermit15.readme | N/A        | Readme files from above archive...
                   |            | Posted so you see what your getting.
xprxmodem30.lzh    | Xmodem     | Adds Xmodem )Forget the exact version
                   |            | #)
xprxmodem30.readme | N/A        | Same as Kermit.readme
xprzmodem.zoo      | Zmodem     | Adds Zmodem 2.0. I didn't take the
                   |            | readme file out of this one.

Hope that helps...

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!