[comp.sys.amiga] IFF picture viewers ...

rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) (08/29/90)

Just a quick question ....
	I know that there are GIF viewers that will switch to interlace and
compress a picture horizontally to try to show as much of the picture.  Are
there any IFF viewers that can do the same, particularly the horizontal
compression?

                                        Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
Irvine? Where's Irvine?                 a poor Grad student at the
In the heart of the Orange Curtain.     Dept. of Information & Computer Sci.
Oh no! The poor fool.                   Univ. of California, Irvine.

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (08/30/90)

In article <26DB4636.11594@ics.uci.edu> rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
>Just a quick question ....
>	I know that there are GIF viewers that will switch to interlace and
>compress a picture horizontally to try to show as much of the picture.  Are
>there any IFF viewers that can do the same, particularly the horizontal
>compression?

	I haven't run across one that will compress, but there is a fairly good
FR (Freely Redistributable) one called 'zhow' that will allow you to scroll
(using the mouse) IFF pics that are too large to fit one the screen.
	I think it came out of Europe some where.  If it's not on a Fish Disk
lemme know and I'll see if I can mail it...

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %    "Progress is an up-hill battle       %  mrush@csuchico.edu      %
    %    against backwards compatibility."    %  mrush@cscihp.UUCP       %
    %              -- me                                                 %
    %                              Coming Soon:  mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) (08/30/90)

rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:

>Just a quick question ....
>	I know that there are GIF viewers that will switch to interlace and
>compress a picture horizontally to try to show as much of the picture.  Are
>there any IFF viewers that can do the same, particularly the horizontal
>compression?

Again, I'll briefly plug Mostra, as far as I know THE best IFF pic displayer
for the Amiga (and shareware, at that!). It will allow you to set any screen
attributes you like with command line options, so you can at least compress
pictures vertically by forcing interlace (assuming they weren't laced before).
As for horizontal, no, I don't know any IFF displayers which will do that,
and it would be a real nice feature. How 'bout it, someone?

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (08/31/90)

ceej@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris J Hillery) writes:

> rang@ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) writes:
>
> >Just a quick question ....
> >	I know that there are GIF viewers that will switch to interlace and
> >compress a picture horizontally to try to show as much of the picture.  Are
> >there any IFF viewers that can do the same, particularly the horizontal
> >compression?
>
> Again, I'll briefly plug Mostra, as far as I know THE best IFF pic displayer
> for the Amiga (and shareware, at that!). It will allow you to set any screen
> attributes you like with command line options, so you can at least compress
> pictures vertically by forcing interlace (assuming they weren't laced before)
> As for horizontal, no, I don't know any IFF displayers which will do that,
> and it would be a real nice feature. How 'bout it, someone?
>
> >                                        Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
> >Irvine? Where's Irvine?                 a poor Grad student at the
> >In the heart of the Orange Curtain.     Dept. of Information & Computer Sci.
> >Oh no! The poor fool.                   Univ. of California, Irvine.

UM...I beg to differ. SuperView 3.0 is the best one I know of. It can do
everything Mostra can do, plus do everything else you said (Like control
the video mode, and amount of colors, and resolution. Ex: You can take a
640x400 16 color image and show it as a 320x200 HAM scrolling
superbitmap. I hear that SuperView IV is due out soon. Is this true?
Mr. Grothe? Are you on the net? Can you confirm this?

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (08/31/90)

You might also try Superview 3.0 by David Grothe.  It is available on FF 367
and elsewhere (or I can FTP it or UU it somewhere for you).  It will allow you
to scroll around a superbitmap, supports color cycling, shows animations, can
be used as a simple slideshow for all pictures in a directory and much more.

(Yes, I'm biased a bit because David is the president of our users group
 {Oklahoma Amiga Computer EnthusiastS - OACES} and a friend of mine    )

 _______              __________
  _/____) '  __  /_/       /  '  /  / __  _      "N.I.N.J.A.J.I.S."-Me
  /  \___/__/___/ |_      /__/__/__/_/_-_/__/_/  The Displaced Razorback.
  ___________________________________________/   Founder:  IDGAFF Ltd.
The Amiga Computer - "...a more fiendish disputant than the Great
Hyperbolic Omni-Cognate Neutron Wrangler of Ciceronicus Twelve..."
-D.Adams;  Well, almost.

drtiller@uokmax.uucp (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (08/31/90)

I will speak for David (unbeknownst to him since he is not on the net - I'll
forward your letter to him :-), since I talked to him yesterday (he'd the
president of the Oklahoma Amiga Computer EnthusiastS - OACES - users group).

He sold his 2500 last week to get his hands on a little cash temporarily
because he just recently moved.  He is expecting to get a 3000 at the beginning
of the year and is working on Superview 3.1 (as of yesterday) without a machine
of his own (UGH! he says he already has the shakes).  Some of the enhancements
he is talking about adding are:

The ability to include specific command-line-like arguments in the comment
field of a picture for individual file control (positioning, color cycling,
animation speed overriding, etc.).

A status window which can be pulled up (that's what he said) from the bottom
to display Author/Artist info (from the ANNO chunk in the IFF file), frame
count and to give feedback of coordinates for positioning (as well as other
stuff).

Support of SHAM and SLOP (an optimized version of SHAM which will free up
more processor time for multi-tasking).

Control of animations' speed, direction etc. while running.

Some other things which have been mentioned in the past couple of months
(maybe for 4.0) were support of GIF files, calls to separate programs for
specialized viewing formats like Dynamic ones (since he hasn't been able to
get the info on these modes) and more!

I hope he's not too angry about me stealing his thunder but I'll get him a
copy of this reply and see if I'm in trouble.

Thanx for your support!

 _______              __________

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (09/01/90)

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) writes:

>UM...I beg to differ. SuperView 3.0 is the best one I know of. It can do
>everything Mostra can do, plus do everything else you said (Like control
>the video mode, and amount of colors, and resolution. Ex: You can take a

SuperView 3? Hey, it sounds great, but you forgot ONE IMPORTANT THING!
Where can I get/buy this terrific viewer??? Give me an address or whatever,
please!

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (09/01/90)

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:

> Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) writes:
>
> >UM...I beg to differ. SuperView 3.0 is the best one I know of. It can do
> >everything Mostra can do, plus do everything else you said (Like control
> >the video mode, and amount of colors, and resolution. Ex: You can take a
>
> SuperView 3? Hey, it sounds great, but you forgot ONE IMPORTANT THING!
> Where can I get/buy this terrific viewer??? Give me an address or whatever,
> please!
>
> Mike
> --
>       Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
>   //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
> \X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:     d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.ed
> 			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe

Um....I got it off an Amiga Plus disk. It doesn't seem to be very common,
but everybody seems to have it anyway.