[comp.sys.amiga] Advice, Recommendations, please for new A3000 buyer

thssno@iitmax.IIT.EDU (Neil R. Ormos) (08/31/90)

I'm planning to buy an Amiga 3000.  I am new to the Amiga (but
not to computing) and I would appreciate some advice from the
Net to help me get started on the right track.  In particular,
I have the following questions:

1.  Monitors -- I believe that Commodore's 1950 monitor provides,
    at best, 800 X 600 pixel resolution which is sufficient for
    the video output now produced by the 3000.  Higher-resolution
    output will probably be available in the future (via add-
    ons). Should I buy Commodore's 1950 monitor for use with the
    3000, and purchase a spiffier one when the need arises, or
    should I bite the bullet and buy a higher performance monitor
    now?

2.  Software -- My budget for initial software purchases will be
    pretty limited.  I assume I will need to buy (or download,
    where appropriate) at least the following items:

    - text editor or word processor
    - rudimentary destktop publishing package
    - "paint/draw" software
    - C compiler
    - Pascal compiler
    - terminal program
    - other utilities

    Could you please recommend good, relatively inexpensive, software
    in any or all of these catagories?

3.  Books -- What should I buy to learn how the Amiga's hardware
    and software are organized; how to use the facilities of the
    operating system and ROM ?

Please reply via mail; I will post a summary of the responses to
this newsgroup.  Thanks in advance!

--Neil R. Ormos

Net:   thssno@iitmax.iit.edu  MCI: 413-0884  PeopleLink: daemon
Tel:   312/661-2151 (W)  708/228-1083 (H)
USPS:  2700 S. Briarwood Drive W/Arlington Heights, IL  60005

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (08/31/90)

I too just got a 3000, I got the Mitsubishi Diamond-Scan monitor. It has
a great picture and a composite input, but doesn't handle overscan correctly.
I believe you will have a border on any VGA monitor just about. The 1950
however is speacially designed, and therefore has no "border". The dot pitch
is .31, pretty good, and the monitor actually looks nice, so I recommend it.

Duane Fields

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (08/31/90)

	I just got my 3000 too, and I like my 1950 monitor just fine. I
looked at some of the others, but based on the price, and the ability to
completely eliminate the border, I am quite happy with the 1950.
	To whoever said they couldn't get their 1950 to completely get rid of
the border, take the monitor back. I was able to get rid of it in less than
15 minutes after setting the 3000 up, without opening any of the manuals.

	The only thing I wish the 1950 had was built in speakers (A pair of
pop-out side mounted speakers, like you find on some higher priced TV's
would be great).

				Dave

Joseph P. Hillenburg (joseph@valnet.UUCP) (09/01/90)

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:

> 	The only thing I wish the 1950 had was built in speakers (A pair of
> pop-out side mounted speakers, like you find on some higher priced TV's
> would be great).
>
> 				Dave

The reason for this is the A1950 is also designed for use for the PS-III
series. It is made mostly for the Amigas (It works with flickerfixkers
and that kind of stuff), but will work with almost any computer using MDa
to VGA, and technically, Macs too...BTW, anyone know who's OEMing it?

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

>The reason for this is the A1950 is also designed for use for the PS-III
>series. It is made mostly for the Amigas (It works with flickerfixkers
>and that kind of stuff), but will work with almost any computer using MDa
>to VGA, and technically, Macs too...BTW, anyone know who's OEMing it?
>
> -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
>INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
>UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
>AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
>CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
>              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!

	There is another important reason for not including the
speakers. Many Amigans use stereos or other expensive systems.
Why make them pay for the speakers?
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait