[comp.sys.amiga] Amigas are Everywhere!

smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) (09/01/90)

[slurp]

I was watching some stuff on my satillite dish a couple of weeks ago on
the NASA video feed. Several times a week they show old NASA documentaries
inbetween press conferences and shuttle flights. I was watching the screen
sent from Goddard announcing the upcoming films. The screen vanishes and
is replaced by our old friend, Workbench!

That lasted about 20 seconds. They were using a 2 meg machine and had
the VoRecOne disk loaded.

I gather they were probably using an Amiga for their title screens.

                                       >> mike smithwick <<

Any opinions are my own since nobody else would ever want them.

"Colonize Cyberspace!"

akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Andreas K. Klingler) (09/02/90)

In article <1990Sep1.045458.21972@ames.uucp> smithwik@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (R. Michael Smithwick -- FSN) writes:
 [on the NASA video feed:]
>sent from Goddard announcing the upcoming films. The screen vanishes and
>is replaced by our old friend, Workbench!
>
>That lasted about 20 seconds. They were using a 2 meg machine and had
>the VoRecOne disk loaded.
>
>I gather they were probably using an Amiga for their title screens.
>

>                                       >> mike smithwick <<

In the August issue of an german Amiga magazine is a very detailed article
about Amigas being used to control telemetric-data of Atlas-Centaur, Delta II
rockets and Delta and Space Shuttle payloads during countdown.
According to the article they are using twelve A1000 and four A2000 in
hangar AE in Cape Canaveral and four A1000 in Vandenberg, California
and Luis Resarch Center, Ohio. At the moment they are expecting their first
three A3000 to arrive.

They choosed the Amiga because of the multitasking and the detailed information
about the bus-structure, timing and layout.
--
Andreas Klingler
akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de