[comp.sys.amiga] GVP trades

koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) (08/30/90)

Has anyone traded up to a GVP SCSI/RAM card?  The new Impact II line is
supposed to be great.  Just curious.

Kurt "Koleman" Koller - amdahl!bungia!orbit!pnet51!koleman

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (09/03/90)

In article <3129@orbit.cts.com> koleman@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Kurt Koller) writes:
>Has anyone traded up to a GVP SCSI/RAM card?  The new Impact II line is
>supposed to be great.  Just curious.
>
>Kurt "Koleman" Koller - amdahl!bungia!orbit!pnet51!koleman

Yes, I just traded in my Pacific Peripherals Overdrive for the SCSI+RAM Impact
II card.  Took about 2 weeks for it to get back to me (seemed like forever
without my 2000!!!).  Anyway, I installed and in my Rev. 4.2 motherboard and
it fired up like a champ.  The software that they included is fully Intuition-ized and not too bad (great in comparison to the PP software which would hang
when trying to access my drives occassionally).
	Anyway, I didn't have a chance to get the SIMM's yet so I can't comment
on the RAM expansion.  I did reformat my Conner CP-340 and re-install my
software.  My Diskperfs (V3) about doubled to about 470Kbytes/sec for reads
and the high 200K's for writes.  This is a nice little drive, but it sure isn't
as fast as most of the Quantums...I was satisfied with the results.  As of yet
I have not reformatted the Seagate (yes, I know) ST-277N with a better
interleave so no info on that.

	All in all I am very satisfied with the service I got from GVP as well.
Even though it did take them a bit longer than they quoted me on the phone to
get the board to me, they always were courteous and even returned my phone
calls when I left voice mail....after dealing with a lot of defense industry
vendors on the phone, I wasn't ready for that!

Anyway, I give the product a big thumbs up!

Michael Maston
GTE Government Systems
Mountain View, CA  94039