[comp.sys.amiga] anyone heard of "Chiron Conceptions"?

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (08/28/90)

Has anyone heard of a place called "Chiron Conceptions?"
Furthermore, does anyone have a contact phone number or
address for them?

I wrote some Amiga software a long time ago and it seems they are:

  1) claiming it is PD even though it is really copyrighted by
     me,

  2) selling it without my permission and making a profit from it,

  3) not distributing the whole thing, causing me to get alot of
     phone calls from people wanting the rest.

I'd very much like to contact them, but I can't figure out how.
I should also point out that although the above has been reported
to me by several unrelated sources, I have not verified it myself.
It may not be true; I just want to check it out.

thanks,

   - steve

PS - a general question too: clearly they can sell PD software
     if they want.  However, has anyone else who is the author of
     a *copyrighted* package had any problems with places like
     this selling it as if it was PD and trying to make a quick
     buck?  These folks don't seem to realize that not all
     freely distributable software is PD.

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) writes:

>PS - a general question too: clearly they can sell PD software
>     if they want.  However, has anyone else who is the author of
>     a *copyrighted* package had any problems with places like
>     this selling it as if it was PD and trying to make a quick
>     buck?  These folks don't seem to realize that not all
>     freely distributable software is PD.

Steve, what are you telling us here? Is Chiron Software selling a
collection of software like Fred Fish? Is your software freely distrubutable?
If so, then unless you restricted distribution away from such collections in
your copyright, they are not doing anything wrong, are they? If they are
selling *your software* (as opposed to selling the collection) then they are
breaking some rules.

But it's not clear from your message exactly:
1> what is being sold by Chiron (never heard of them anyway). A collection
that includes your software? are they selling your software as a commercial
product?

2> what is the status of your software? Freeware? Shareware? Commercial?

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (09/03/90)

> >PS - a general question too: clearly they can sell PD software
> >     if they want.  However, has anyone else who is the author of
> >     a *copyrighted* package had any problems with places like

> Steve, what are you telling us here? Is Chiron Software selling a
> collection of software like Fred Fish? Is your software freely distrubutable?
> If so, then unless you restricted distribution away from such collections in
> your copyright, they are not doing anything wrong, are they? If they are

The software in question is copyrighted by me, and is distributable free
of charge *with certain restrictions*.  One of these restrictions is that
the entire package must be distributed, not just pieces of it.  They
are not doing this - they have apparently left out large pieces of it,
which ends up having a direct impact on my time, as I get all the calls
from people wanting the rest.  There are several other issues as well.

At any rate, I am not trying to resolve the issue here on the net; I will
deal with them in person for that.  I'm just looking for a way to get
ahold of them.  It may be that the whole thing is just a misunderstanding.

  - steve