[comp.sys.amiga] UW

rminnich@udel.EDU (Ron Minnich) (12/16/87)

[enter Isuzu mode]
So far, i have had two MILLION requests for the unix uw source.
[exit Isuzu mode]
   But seriously folks, i have had a LOT of requests for the source,
all asking for it to be mailed, which might get someone mad at me.
I asked Rich Salz whether i could post it to comp.sources.unix,
and the answer was 'please don't ask- i am a month behind'.
So i think it is time to consider posting to comp.sources.amiga.
Which leads to the following question: Is there anybody out there
who gets comp.sys.amiga who can not for some reason get comp.sources.amiga?
I can not see why that should happen but if so let me know. Otherwise
i will post in the next week or so when i get a chance.
   as for using uw, [e I m], 'nothing could be easier' [e I m].
No, it really is easy. Run uw on your amiga. You now are running
protocol 0, which is a pretty decent terminal emulator in itself.
After you get tired of using one window, just run 'uw' on your
Unix host. The uw window will disappear!!! Do not panic!!!
Go to your cli window, do a status (or a ps in sh) and you
will see that it is still there. After a minute it will be back, and
you will notice the title is different. Now try the 'new window'
menu item and see what happens. You will like it.
   As for termcap, the only foolprof one i have has co#78 and
NO am.
ron
--
ron (rminnich@udel.edu)

jal@wsu-cs (Jason Leigh) (02/15/89)

Does anyone know which fish disk contains the most recent version
of UW (uwterm)?

Thanks in advance.

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (02/16/89)

From article <533@wsu-cs>, by jal@wsu-cs (Jason Leigh):

> Does anyone know which fish disk contains the most recent version
> of UW (uwterm)?
>
> Thanks in advance.

And does anyone know where the source is? Can I get to it via
arpa ftp-anonymous?? I would like to see the sources AND binaries.

I have the 'working' version, but it needs major improvements like
capturing buffers etc...it COULD be spectacular for me since I have
become very accustomed to the-ole-sun with many many windows open...

Thanks,
bob

--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/16/89)

In article <6046@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, wolff@cs (Robert M. Wolff) writes:
>And does anyone know where the source [for uw] is? Can I get to it via
>arpa ftp-anonymous?? I would like to see the sources AND binaries.

At one time, you could find the amiga side on j.cc.purdue.edu and the
unix side on louie.udel.edu.  However, my directory listings of those
machines are old, and the files might have gone away by now.

Unless Bob Posts it (meaning it would be put in the archives), I don't
expect to put Amiga Unix Windows up on xanth.cs.odu.edu, while there is
DNET.  Why not give Dnet a try and see if you'll want to use Unix
Windows again... (xanth.cs.odu.edu:/amiga/dnet-1.20.zoo).

>I have the 'working' version, but it needs major improvements like
>capturing buffers etc...it COULD be spectacular for me since I have
>become very accustomed to the-ole-sun with many many windows open...

You'll like Dnet -- it's a clean client/server model, and it's easy to
make new clients...

	...tad

jal@wsu-cs (Jason Leigh) (02/16/89)

In article <7769@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>Unless Bob Posts it (meaning it would be put in the archives), I don't
>expect to put Amiga Unix Windows up on xanth.cs.odu.edu, while there is
>DNET.  Why not give Dnet a try and see if you'll want to use Unix
>Windows again... (xanth.cs.odu.edu:/amiga/dnet-1.20.zoo).

I'd be interested if some one could tell me a little more about DNET.
I've used it once on a friend's Amiga but didn't get a chance to find
out what it was about.

Source and executeable for UW Vr.1.00 (Beta) is available on trantor,
fish disk 79.

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (02/17/89)

In article <7769@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>Unless Bob Posts it (meaning it would be put in the archives), I don't
>expect to put Amiga Unix Windows up on xanth.cs.odu.edu, while there is
>DNET.  Why not give Dnet a try and see if you'll want to use Unix
>Windows again... (xanth.cs.odu.edu:/amiga/dnet-1.20.zoo).
>You'll like Dnet -- it's a clean client/server model, and it's easy to
>make new clients...

Yes, but what about us poor souls who live on SystemV systems? :-(  Actually,
I can't remember whether UW will run under SystemV or not; does anyone else
know the answer to that one?

--
   - Mike Shawaluk
     ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/17/89)

In article <394@lakesys.UUCP>, mikes@lakesys (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Yes, but what about us poor souls who live on SystemV systems?

I guess we could put you'all in the garage for now... :-)

>I can't remember whether UW will run under SystemV or not...

A quick look at UW 2.10 shows a need for ptys, sockets and Berkeley
ioctl's like FIONREAD.  If you have a SystemV with all those things,
you should be ok. :-)

This is probably an obsolete version of UW by now, though.

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (02/18/89)

In article <394@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Yes, but what about us poor souls who live on SystemV systems? :-(  Actually,
>I can't remember whether UW will run under SystemV or not; does anyone else
>know the answer to that one?
uw is as bsd-dependent as dnet to say the least.
If you can get uw running on sys v you can get dnet running on sys v.
In fact, dnet looks (to me) like what you would get if you wanted to
make uw much better.
ron

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (02/18/89)

From article <6106@super.ORG>, by rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich):
> In article <394@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>>Yes, but what about us poor souls who live on SystemV systems? :-(  Actually,
>>I can't remember whether UW will run under SystemV or not; does anyone else
>>know the answer to that one?
> uw is as bsd-dependent as dnet to say the least.
> If you can get uw running on sys v you can get dnet running on sys v.
> In fact, dnet looks (to me) like what you would get if you wanted to
> make uw much better.
> ron

Here at UofM an 8-bit connection to any of our Unix boxes is virtually
impossible.  I've given up on dnet here (as much as I hate to...) but I have
gotten UW to work.  Therefore, I'm all for any enhancements/improvements in the
current version of UW.  If anyone has any info, please pass it along to me.

--
Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

kpmancus@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Keith P. Mancus) (02/23/89)

>> uw is as bsd-dependent as dnet to say the least.
>> If you can get uw running on sys v you can get dnet running on sys v.
>> In fact, dnet looks (to me) like what you would get if you wanted to
>> make uw much better.

	I couldn't get dnet to work on phoenix, our VAX-8700 running
ULTRIX 2.0.  UW works fine.  I'm planning to make some minor changes
to uw, like putting every window in a separate screen so you can
drag them off the screen.  Is anyone interested in getting this
(pretty trivial) modification sent to them?
	I can't get dnet to work on our suns either, running 4.2BSD.
Is something in 4.3 required, Matt?

-Keith Mancus <kpmancus@phoenix.princeton.edu>  <- preferred
              <kpmancus@pucc.BITNET>

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/24/89)

In article <6591@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, kpmancus@phoenix (Keith P. Mancus) writes:
>	I couldn't get dnet to work on phoenix, our VAX-8700 running
>ULTRIX 2.0.
>	I can't get dnet to work on our suns either, running 4.2BSD.
>Is something in 4.3 required, Matt?

[ I'm not Matt, but I play one on TV. ]

Be certain you have an 8-bit communication path between your machine
and the VAX and Sun.  I have it working fine here on a VAX-11/785
running 4.3BSD and Suns running SunOS 3.4.  Nothing fancy needed.

>... like putting every window in a separate screen so you can
>drag them off the screen.

Please make it an option -- I don't want to spend that much memory for
a seperate screen for each window.  (Well, I don't plan to run UW
anyway, so do what you want! :-) )

	...tad

PS: Sure would be nice if someone made an option in Dnet to encode
8-bit data into 7-bit bytes for those people without 8-bit channels...

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (02/24/89)

In article <6591@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kpmancus@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Keith P. Mancus) writes:
>	I couldn't get dnet to work on phoenix, our VAX-8700 running
>ULTRIX 2.0.  UW works fine.  I'm planning to make some minor changes
gee, i can't believe this. all these people who can't get dnet running.
i have run it on several versions of ultra-icks, sunos 3.x and 4.0 and
4.02, 4.[2,3] bsd, and who knows what all. What the !@#$ is going
on? ALl i ever do to get it to go is 'make'. You folks all running
old dead code, or what?
Or maybe i am running such old code that it always works.
??
I will say uw was nice, dnet is much, much better. worth the effort.
ron

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (02/24/89)

From article <418a531c.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu>, by beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska):

> Here at UofM an 8-bit connection to any of our Unix boxes is virtually
> impossible.  I've given up on dnet here (as much as I hate to...) but I have
> gotten UW to work.  Therefore, I'm all for any enhancements/improvements in the
> current version of UW.  If anyone has any info, please pass it along to me.

I have the same problem at Purdue. A REAL 8-bit connection is really
tough to get here. I would like to use d-net though...I can also use
UW without problems...what's the difference that makes dnet NEED that
8-bit connection??

Thanks,
bob

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (02/24/89)

From article <6354@super.ORG>, by rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich):
> gee, i can't believe this. all these people who can't get dnet running.
> i have run it on several versions of ultra-icks, sunos 3.x and 4.0 and
> 4.02, 4.[2,3] bsd, and who knows what all. What the !@#$ is going

Well, many universities' dial-ins are port selectors that only pass 7 bits,
which is one bit short of what Dnet needs to work.... That's the problem
here, anyways.

--

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (02/24/89)

In article <6354@super.ORG> rminnich@brainiac.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
=-gee, i can't believe this. all these people who can't get dnet running.
=-i have run it on several versions of ultra-icks, sunos 3.x and 4.0 and
=-4.02, 4.[2,3] bsd, and who knows what all. What the !@#$ is going
=-on? ALl i ever do to get it to go is 'make'. You folks all running
=-old dead code, or what?

	Well, let me just add to the confusion by relating my experiences.
I installed the first release of DNet on a VAX 11/780, BSD 4.3, as well as an
NFSed group of Sun 3/50s, all of which are accessed via a Bridge (NEVER buy one
of these!) communications server that is connected to all the machines by
Ethernet.  Connecting directly to the VAX, DNet exhibited the 'bouncing packet'
disease, though only after a few data packets (typed characters) had been
passed successfully.  The behavior was regular, depending on the characters.  I
suspected that something was twiddling the 8th bit as parity.  When connecting
to the VAX by first logging in on a Sun, and then rloginning (?!) to the VAX,
everything was peachy.  Furthermore, everything worked as advertised on the
Suns.  Since I do most of my work on the Suns, I just left it at that.  I never
installed the newest DNet, since, by the time it came along, I had hacked up
FTerm and DNet on the Amiga end so much, I didn't have time to repeat the
effort.
	Recently I tried installing the DNet UNIX end on our new Sun 4, SunOS
4.0, as well as on a Sequent Balance, Dynix 3.0.  Both have Bouncing Packet
Syndrome (BPS, get it?  Oh well, sorry...), though it's worse than the VAX
was--the initial FTerm manages to connect, but that's it.  My hopes weren't
high for the Sequent, but I was surprised that it blew up on the Sun 4.  I
haven't tried all the possible rlogin combinations, but I suspect that the
Bridge is mostly to blame, since it causes us so many other problems.  I might
put more effort into it when the next official DNet release comes down the
pipe, since I'm interested enough in the IPC stuff that Matt has supposedly
added to replace my current version.
	By the way, I believe I was the first person to point out to Matt that
DNet should actually be called DLink, and that DNET is the name of an optical
network design that belongs to TRW (not to mention some obscure Connection
Machine software), and he didn't even credit me in his Amiga Transactor
article.  Boy am I pissed!! :-) :-)

=-I will say uw was nice, dnet is much, much better. worth the effort.

	UW was a nice idea, poorly implemented.  Just like the Mac.  DNet is to
UW as Amiga is to Macintosh.
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{vertebrae...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_|___
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (02/25/89)

In article <6354@super.ORG> rminnich@brainiac.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>gee, i can't believe this. all these people who can't get dnet running.
One thought. You folks who are having trouble all know that DNET's
serial line parameters are PREFERENCES-driven, right? All dnet knows
about the serial line it gets from prerences. Screw up preferences,
and dnet will not work.
ron

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (02/28/89)

In article <41a849b7.f231@fract.engin.umich.edu> beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) writes:
>Well, many universities' dial-ins are port selectors that only pass 7 bits,
>which is one bit short of what Dnet needs to work.... That's the problem
>here, anyways.
ahh, an old familiar problem. Sounds like what is needed is a
little add-on to dnet, telling it to go into 7-bit mode.
you know, the deal where chars with bit-8 set get the bit cleared
and a prefix (e.g DLE) put in front. Not as bad a penalty as it seems, since
most of the data you send is ascii text with bit 7 clear anyway.
That ougghta fix your various wagons and Bridges.
I think if you had this, then you would have everything you
needed.
ron

beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) (03/07/89)

From article <6444@super.ORG>, by rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich):
> In article <41a849b7.f231@fract.engin.umich.edu> beh@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bob Hruska) writes:
>>Well, many universities' dial-ins are port selectors that only pass 7 bits,
>>which is one bit short of what Dnet needs to work.... That's the problem
>>here, anyways.
> ahh, an old familiar problem. Sounds like what is needed is a
> little add-on to dnet, telling it to go into 7-bit mode.
> you know, the deal where chars with bit-8 set get the bit cleared
> and a prefix (e.g DLE) put in front. Not as bad a penalty as it seems, since
> most of the data you send is ascii text with bit 7 clear anyway.
> That ougghta fix your various wagons and Bridges.
> I think if you had this, then you would have everything you
> needed.
> ron

Now, if SOMEONE ELSE would do this, THEN I'd have everything I needed :-)

--
Bob Hruska   University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network (CAEN)

INTERNET: beh@caen.engin.umich.edu
    UUCP: {umix|ucbvax|uunet}!caen.engin.umich.edu!beh

martens@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (05/30/89)

Does anybody know of a uw interface for the Amiga?  Has anybody
actually used uw on a Mac?

Uw is a pair of programs, one on the Mac and one on Unix, that allow a
Mac user to have multiple Unix windows active using just one serial
line, multiplexed between the windows.  Apparently it was written at
Berkeley.  If you're interested in the Unix manual page for uw and
don't have it locally, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

X11?  On a Sun 3/50?  With a mere 4MB RAM?  Just say no.
Can you say "excessive paging"?  Good, I knew you could...

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/30/89)

In article <50125@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> martens@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) writes:

   Does anybody know of a uw interface for the Amiga?  Has anybody
   actually used uw on a Mac?

Check out the vt220 emulator called meshugena.  It supports uw.
(I haven't used it on a Mac.)

   Uw is a pair of programs, one on the Mac and one on Unix, that allow a
   Mac user to have multiple Unix windows active using just one serial
   line, multiplexed between the windows.  Apparently it was written at
   Berkeley.  If you're interested in the Unix manual page for uw and
   don't have it locally, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

DNet is FAR superior to uw...

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America

In article <50125@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, martens@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) writes:
> Does anybody know of a uw interface for the Amiga?

Yes.

> Has anybody actually used uw on a Mac?

I'm sure.

Now for the meat... anyone have uw for System V?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva      `-_-'
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.hackercorp.com  'U`

noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) (05/31/89)

}
}   Does anybody know of a uw interface for the Amiga?  Has anybody
}   actually used uw on a Mac?
}
}Check out the vt220 emulator called meshugena.  It supports uw.
}(I haven't used it on a Mac.)

	Fish disk #79 (I think) has an amiga version of uw on it.
}
}   Uw is a pair of programs, one on the Mac and one on Unix, that allow a
}   Mac user to have multiple Unix windows active using just one serial
}   line, multiplexed between the windows.  Apparently it was written at
}   Berkeley.  If you're interested in the Unix manual page for uw and
}   don't have it locally, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.
}
}DNet is FAR superior to uw...

	True, uw dowsn't support downloads, but then again, uw is
	several times easier to get running.  (Or atleast it was here...)

-- Bamf

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (05/31/89)

In article <DEVEN.89May29144024@daniel.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) writes:
>Check out the vt220 emulator called meshugena.  It supports uw.

I don't know about you, but personally, I would fear for my life
to use a program called "meshugena"!!!

You must be daring. Living on the edge. A man of action and adventure.
Wow.

Perhaps you'd like me to mail you this program I found on a BBS,
called "Neo-Nazi Brain Crushing Hate Filled Virus Buster"? I don't know
what it does but I'm sure it must be something interesting! :-) :-)

>DNet is FAR superior to uw...

Hmmm, that's a pretty strong recommendation. I guess I'm going to
have to try it out. (I'd worry about the source of the recommendation,
considering the above, except I know Matt Dillon wrote it :-)
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

"Welcome to Mars; now go home!" (Seen on a bumper sticker off Phobos)

In article <3887@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <50125@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, martens@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) writes:
>> Does anybody know of a uw interface for the Amiga?
>
>Yes.

Thanks a lot, smartass. I thought you'd forsworn your past?
Cool off for a while, take a vacation or something.

>Now for the meat... anyone have uw for System V?

FYI uw requires functionality along the lines of psuedo-ttys, so
you'll find that a port of uw is impossible to any version of
System V older than System V.4 (which incorporates the full tty-extension
of streams).

And people wonder how anyone could possibly regard BSD Unix as superior
to AT&T Unix. System III/V: Blech. Almost as bad as Xenix. (Xenix being
a variant on System III/V with features lobotomized and many bugs added.)
	Doug
--

deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (05/31/89)

In article <363@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:

   In article <DEVEN.89May29144024@daniel.rpi.edu> deven@rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) writes:
   >Check out the vt220 emulator called meshugena.  It supports uw.

   I don't know about you, but personally, I would fear for my life
   to use a program called "meshugena"!!!

Stupid name, but I'm not the author.

   You must be daring. Living on the edge. A man of action and adventure.
   Wow.

That must be it.

   Perhaps you'd like me to mail you this program I found on a BBS,
   called "Neo-Nazi Brain Crushing Hate Filled Virus Buster"? I don't know
   what it does but I'm sure it must be something interesting! :-) :-)

No thanks.  I had VirusX running when I used meshugena, (about 8-10
months ago) and it passed.  No other signs of virii (?) either.

On the other hand, we got this neat new demo program from somewhere in
Europe which had some truly impressive text manilplations and
graphics, all while trashing any disk it could get at!  (of course, it
could only get at the ramdisks...  oh well!)  Despite the obvious
virus, it WAS neat to watch...  just remember to cold boot afterward.
:-)

   >DNet is FAR superior to uw...

   Hmmm, that's a pretty strong recommendation. I guess I'm going to
   have to try it out. (I'd worry about the source of the recommendation,
   considering the above, except I know Matt Dillon wrote it :-)

Damn right it's a strong recommendation, and with good reason.  If you
can get it running, you'll be FAR FAR happier using DNet than uw to
connect to a Unix machine.  You can have multiple windows as with uw,
but the mechanism is more general, the protocol is error-correcting,
the switching between windows is smoother than uw's, and simultaneous
output in multiple windows works perfectly well.  So, simply for
multiple windows, you're better off with DNet.

To be fair, meshugena *does* have scrollbars and stuff...  it makes a
very good terminal, but that's all it is.  A very good terminal.
There is absolutely NO support for file transfer.  No ASCII capture or
send, no XModem transfers, nothing.  Simply a terminal.  But with
scrollbars and multiple windows under uw.  And the windows iconify.
It's also rather large.  (142K, with its fonts and such)  If you want
your Amiga to be an extended remix of a vt220 (which is a nice
terminal, to be sure) then meshugena is good.  But that's all you'll
get.

DNet also supports *reliable* transmission of *binary* files (or full
directory trees, even) at a high throughput (~2200 baud on a 2400 baud
modem, vs. ~600 baud throughput for Kermit over the same modem) AT THE
SAME TIME AS MULTIPLEXING TERMINAL WINDOW STREAMS.  You can read news
and download files simultaneously.  True, the juxtaposition will slow
both your reading and the file transfer, but you spend a lot more time
reading than the transfer (of the text to be read) takes, and the
remaining bandwidth of the modem is used for the file transfer in
progress.  This feature alone can be worth its weight in gold.  No
need to start a transfer and go find lunch...

Yes, it is an absolute bitch to get DNet to run properly, and often
impossible.  Matt could have put some effort into making it more
forgiving of points of nontransparency in the data stream.  DNet's
absolute *requirement* for a true 8-bit data path (don't count on
getting away with even something as close as TELNET) prevents many
people from using it.

Ah, well...  I can run it, so I'm happy.  :-)

Well, sort of.

Deven
--
shadow@[128.113.10.2]   <shadow@pawl.rpi.edu> Deven T. Corzine (518) 272-5847
shadow@[128.113.10.201] <shadow@acm.rpi.edu>  2346 15th St.    Pi-Rho America
deven@rpitsmts.bitnet   <userfxb6@rpitsmts>   Troy, NY 12180-2306  <<tionen>>
"Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible." - A.K.

glamdrng@pnet51.cts.com (Rocky Lhotka) (05/31/89)

Does DNet connect one's Amiga to a VAX running VMS?  If so I need to check it
out!!  I thought it just talked to UNIX machines?
Rocky Lhotka
Glamdring, Sword of Mithrandir

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, chinet, killer}!orbit!pnet51!glamdrng
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!glamdrng@nosc.mil
INET: glamdrng@pnet51.cts.com

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (06/02/89)

In article <364@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:
|[...]
|FYI uw requires functionality along the lines of psuedo-ttys, so
|you'll find that a port of uw is impossible to any version of
|System V older than System V.4 (which incorporates the full tty-extension
|of streams).

	I have a PD version for my System V.2 box. It is an AT&T 3B1,
	& the pty stuff is in the form of a loadable device driver,
	if I recall correctly....

|"Welcome to Mars; now go home!" (Seen on a bumper sticker off Phobos)

	Welcome to earth; now go home...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

Confirming Bruce Becker's musing ...

Yes, the uw client stuff is PD for the 3B1, done by Andy Fyfe of CalTech
based on the work of John Bruner, and was posted to unix-pc.sources on
Feb 14, 1989.

Yes, one of the several pty postings for the 3B1 is a loadable device
driver (a neat feature of the 3B1, along with shared libraries, etc. :-).

Yes, the Amiga Meshugena VT220 program works with it (it == uw).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) (10/22/89)

Does a version of Uw exist for the amiga, such that tektronix
emulation is supported ? On the Unix system at work a number of
folk log on remotely with their home computers ... a favourite
terminal package for Mac users is "Uw" ... and their version
allows tektronix graphics support ( just a simple menu option ).
Unfortunately the Amiga version seems to lack this capability.
This seems mildly strange, since both types of users activate
the same "Uw" executable file on the local system once connection
is established.

I suppose the gibberish above will only make sense to someone who
has used Uw before ... no loss, since they're the people I'm hoping
to get an answer from in any case.

( One might ask ... why not use VLT ?? Well, I do ... but the
multiple windowing system Uw offers is not to be sneezed at ...
could this possibly be implemented in VLT ?? ( Hello, Authors ?? :-)  ))

--
  David P.M. Scollnik         |   UUCP:   utstat!davids
  University of Toronto       |  bitnet:  davids@utstat.utoronto

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (10/22/89)

In article <1989Oct21.230047.4726@utstat.uucp> davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) writes:
=-
=-Does a version of Uw exist for the amiga, such that tektronix
=-emulation is supported ? On the Unix system at work a number of
=-
=-( One might ask ... why not use VLT ?? Well, I do ... but the
=-multiple windowing system Uw offers is not to be sneezed at ...
=-could this possibly be implemented in VLT ?? ( Hello, Authors ?? :-)  ))
=-
	I think you'd be far better off with a Tek client for DNET.  Should be
easier to implement than Tek emulation for either uw or VLT, too.  I suspect
one could just take the Tek emulation code from VLT and stick it in fterm.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/22/89)

In article <398@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> bryan@cs.utexas.edu writes:
>	I think you'd be far better off with a Tek client for DNET.

One already exists - FTEK. I requested the same capabilities several
months ago & had FTEK mailed to me. I wish it could be updated to
the same capabilities as The current Fterm, (no source code was
included). I wish the author would post the source (and the
binaries).

I can mail it to those who so wish.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (10/23/89)

In article <22569@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
   In article <398@mohawk.cs.utexas.edu> bryan@cs.utexas.edu writes:
   >	I think you'd be far better off with a Tek client for DNET.

   One already exists - FTEK. I requested the same capabilities several
   months ago & had FTEK mailed to me. I wish it could be updated to
   the same capabilities as The current Fterm, (no source code was
   included). I wish the author would post the source (and the
   binaries).

If it's the same FTEK that appeared in the (now defunct) DNET Mailing
List, it's from Timothy Lee Meisenheimer <tlm@newton.physics.purdue.edu>.

He included the source in his article, and it's available via
anonymous ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu as /amiga/ftek.zoo.

	...tad

Archive ftek.zoo:
Length    CF  Size Now  Date      Time
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
    1788  25%     1342   3 Sep 88 17:06:32     ftek/5e
     848  39%      519   3 Sep 88 16:17:24     ftek/Makefile
    1457  32%      990   3 Sep 88 17:04:18     ftek/README
   19104  31%    13165   3 Sep 88 16:09:36     ftek/ftek
    6741  42%     3879   3 Sep 88 16:13:46     ftek/ftek.c
   21158  54%     9777   3 Sep 88 16:17:16     ftek/tek.c
    2201  42%     1267   3 Sep 88 16:14:08     ftek/tek.h
     524  88%       64   3 Sep 88 17:06:12     ftek/topaz.font
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
   53821  42%    31003     8 files

********
README
********
Well, here it is finally!!!.

This  is the the source and executable for FTEK. FTEK is very similar
to FTERM but it also has TEK4014 emulation in it. Of course FTEK is
mainly hacked on original code from FTERM and the tek module from "tek"
which is a VT100 hack to include 4014 stuff (by my professor no less!).
Now that I've confused everyone.......

To make the executable (MANX only) you need to have all  the AMIGA specific
includes precompiled - i.e. same environment as the rest of dnet. You
will also need to assign comp:  so that the compiler can find the
dump file.

To run FTEK do the same as you would with FTERM. NOTE: the tek4014
screen must be started up by hand from the menu (option tekscreen on)
before you view a graph - otherwise the graph will just get eaten. I've
tried it out on SMP (math package - vax BSD4.3), on our "graph" which we
have tweaked (running on venix - 11/73), and with "graph" on the BSD4.3 vax.
This later trial kept me from sending it out earlier as the "graph" on the
vax really sucks dead gerbils up a dirty garden hose (I always wanted to
say that!). So try it out and see if it works for you. There are two
"quits" in the menu. In the first strip it kill FTEK, and in the last
strip in toggles you out of tek4014 mode if your left in it by the graph
output (the "graph" on the BSD4.3 vax does this).

One final note: you'll need to copy the font files to where ever FONTS:
goes as it does use new fonts. Enjoy!

kengo@pawl.rpi.edu (Kenneth Goldenberg) (09/03/90)

I've been using DNet for a while, and I'm really happy with it.  The thing is,
to run DNet on the Suns that I have access to I need to beat a lot of others
to one of the few dialups with a transparent enough connection.  My roommate
uses "UW" on his ST, and it seems to be less fussy about the type of connection.
I've spent TOO LONG looking through every FTP site I could think of trying to
find a copy.  If anyone knows where I can get one... source would be great, but I'll take just the binaries...

                                                   Thanks in advance,
                                                          Mitch

kengo@pawl.rpi.edu | "I see." said Arthur, who didn't  |We're the same person