[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Resource/Compute

klt@utgard.uucp (Ken Thompson) (09/01/90)

Recently Amiga Resource bit the big one, or at least was bought out and is now
discontinued. I was one of the (apparently few) people subscribing to it. I got
a notice in the mail telling me that I was now going to get Compute, which
new has a section covering Atari, Commodore and Amiga... Basically sounds to
me like an IBM magazine with an article in the back about other computers.
Anyway, I am not thrilled abou that, so I sent a letter to the new place asking
for a refund for the rest of my subscription. (I had a few months left of the
6 issue sub with disk. I don't believe there will be any disk with Compute.)

Anyway, here is the response I got, signed by Connie Olsen, customer service:

Dear Subscriber:

We take great pleasure in announcing the newest addition to General Media
Publishing's family of magazines: COMPUTE.  COMPUTE will now be bigger and
better than ever with sections of special interest just for you.

When General Media purchased the COMPUTE Magazines and/or disks, their only
obligation was to fulfill the number of subscription copies you were to
receive. General Media is under no financial obligation, therefore, we are
unable to honor your refund request.

We hope you enjoy your future issues of COMPUTE!

Sincerely,

Connie Olsen
Customer Service

That's word for word. Any spelling errors are probably mine. My question is
basically can they do this? They aren't sending me what I ordered and paid for,
and aren't doing anything about it. COMPUTE is probably a fine magazine but I
don't want it!

Post or Email replies to csusac!utgard!pyrgard!klt. If anybody's interested,
I can post a summary at some future date. Thanks in advance!

klt
DISCLAIMER: Like anything I say matters anyway.......
                                                     csusac!utgard!pyrgard!klt

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (09/03/90)

This is posted as a favor to a friend, Denny Atkin, who has no net
access right now.  Replies may be directed (in email) to me and I
will forward to him, or he can be reached directly on People/Link
as User ID: DENNY.

Quote:
klt@utgard.uucp (Ken Thompson) writes:

>Recently Amiga Resource bit the big one, or at least was bought out and is now
>discontinued. I was one of the (apparently few) people subscribing to it. I got
>a notice in the mail telling me that I was now going to get Compute, which
>new has a section covering Atari, Commodore and Amiga... Basically sounds to
>me like an IBM magazine with an article in the back about other computers.
>Anyway, I am not thrilled abou that, so I sent a letter to the new place asking
>for a refund for the rest of my subscription. (I had a few months left of the
>6 issue sub with disk. I don't believe there will be any disk with Compute.)

All four COMPUTE magazines were recently bought out by General Media,
publishers of OMNI magazine. The four magazines _have_ been combined into
one large publication, containing Compute!, Compute!'s PC, Compute!'s
Gazette, and of course Amiga Resource.
        This will _not_ be an "IBM magazine with an article in the back about
other computers," however. Amiga Resource is now a section in COMPUTE, but
the section is about 50 pages in each issue. When you consider that Amiga
Resource is now going to be published monthly instead of bi-monthly, you'll
end up getting _more_ Amiga information in the same period of time. All of the
columns will return, and we'll still have plenty of features and reviews. Also,
the COMPUTE section will contain information that's of interest to Amiga
users, such as reviews of printers and other general purpose hardware, game
tips, and interviews with software industry executives.
        There definitely will still be an Amiga Resource disk. I'm
beta-testing the first of the new disks today. While Amiga Resource is now
monthly, the disk will remain bi-monthly to assure that it contains only
high-quality, original programs. The first few disks will be particularly hot,
since they will contain the winners of our $10,000 Amiga programming contest.

        As for your dealings with Customer Service, sorry, I can't help there,
as I'm in the editorial department and not involved with that area. I just
hope you'll take a look at the new magazine and see what you think before you
make a final decision. We've got some dedicated Amiga folks on staff (myself
included), and we're definitely going to keep the Amiga coverage going.

Sincerely,
Denny Atkin
Assistant Editor
COMPUTE/Amiga Resource

|        Denny Atkin // Assistant Editor // COMPUTE // Amiga Resource       |
| The views above are my own, and might not represent those of my employer. |
|               "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."                    |
End of Quote

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV